Author Topic: First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage  (Read 57267 times)

idefendm

First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage
« on: August 29, 2010, 03:51:58 PM »
Dear Slim,

Just a note to say "Hello", and apprise you of the establishment of Motor-Scooter International Land-Speed Federation and the hosting of our First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, November 21st 2010, El Mirage Dry Lake, CA. The reason for yet another organization is fully explained on our website www.motorscooterlandspeedfederation.org.

Regards,

Alan

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 04:49:31 PM »
Please do not post the same announcement in three different threads..wasting bandwidth..

This should either be in the Non LSR related section or the Friday joke section..

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 07:29:10 PM »
John, Are you working on your ignore count!! :? :?
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 07:59:13 PM »
I think Jon's right. Go to their supplied link and look at their recommended safety apparel. With that sort of attitude they could cause problems with any sort of accident at El Mirage. :-( :-( :-(

Pete

Offline desotoman

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:38:32 PM »
Alan,

I applaud you for taking on such a feat. When most doors get closed on people they give up. You have followed your dreams and I wish you the best.

I know BLM only requires a helmet for motorcycle and ATV riders, and they have no posted speed limit on the lakebed, but in your interests you might want to revise what you want the riders to wear. I would hope you would consider at least jeans, boots, and some sort of jacket along with the helmet. Otherwise you will have people wearing shorts and fllip flops, with a tank top.

Also how long of a course will the scooters be timed on? What will you be using for timing? What would be the fastest scooter in mph in your opinion? Will you have an ambulance at your event?  Do you think any of these will show up?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nkwxTjU00I

Good luck and have fun,

Tom G.

PS. I like your posters.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 08:47:18 PM »
obviously you are holding a public event.... has your organization acquired a permit for your event? It is my understanding that the BLM has suspended issuing any new permits through the calendar year end of 2010
Kent

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 10:06:57 PM »
ummmm Alan
I didnt see a class for electric scooterzzzz?
Kent

idefendm

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 10:23:36 PM »
Tom,

We've been working very closely with our race event insurance carrier and BLM to insure adequare safety for this event. All previously approved BLM race permits, including our's, are currently being re-evaluated. We've taken a proactive approach to safety. I presume our approved permit and operating plan are public record? Ambulance, First-Aid Station, designated fueling area, method of fueling are all on the checklist along with portable toilets and dumpsters. Most scooterists ride the streets and freeways with DOT helmets, goggles, gloves, and high-top athletic shoes or boots. This required apparel is available from one of our corporate sponsors, MotorSport Scooters, and advertised on our website. Long-sleeve MX jerseys or Ts and Levis will also be required. Armored leather apparel is optional. We're using new radar guns for this first event. All of our personnel will be equipped with Motorola two-way radios. The skepticism and negativity expressed in some of these blogs is precisely why we've organized our own event. Thank you very much for your kind thoughts and well-wishes

Regards,

Alan

idefendm

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 10:26:46 PM »
Kent,

We'd be delighted to create an electric scooter class. I contacted most if not all of the manufacturers and distributors in the US and did not receive one reply.

Alan

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 11:13:48 PM »
Alan
I'm not supprised you didn't get any electric scooter people interested in attending... Did ya try speaking in Chinese? your really gonna have to put on yer big boy panties and show how thick yer skin is.... Come on, yer gonna take some hitz, afterall yer racing frickin scooterz fer gods sake.... good luck on yer event, i just might have to show up and see this thing in person... are there gonna be any of those hot freaky tattooed Vespa girlz there?
Kent

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 11:24:51 PM »
Kent, I think in China they only make scooters for export and you would have to talk to the importers as they use more of the bigger variety on the roads in China.  Tony

I got this in an email recently, most likely off the net. :-o :-o :-o

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
stop making me pee myself Tony.....
kr

idefendm

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 12:34:21 AM »
Well. . . we may not have any electric scooter entries but we are expecting a turbo'd Aprilia RS50cc from www.highgaintuning.com that'll probably top 70 mph?

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 01:04:29 AM »
What bothers me is that the BLM will view this as a "speed event".  And "racers" will be running up the lakebed in T shirts and tennis shoes.  If there is a serious accident the SCTA will be tossed in with the scooter racers and the SCTA could be put in jeopardy.  In view of what has been happening this event makes me nervous.  The SCTA has a very high standard for safety but the scooter "federation" doesn't strike me as realising just what is at stake here.  I keep getting a vision of Rollie Free on a scooter.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 01:42:52 AM »
Scott
he's a fricken attorney! ya ever known one that hasn't covered their own butt! it looks like he has done all the BLM stuff and i am assuming he will be using K&K insurance to satisfy BLM requirements... the BLM is carefully watching each racing org on their own merits like the Mojave desert racers org that had that accident a couple of weeks ago.. the BLM has pulled and denied them permits.... they are done... but the Best in the West off road series just had a great event last week.... over seen by about 100BLM observers i understand.... I think yer gonna be supprised as to how many people and pooters are gonna show up for this.. I remember when Vince from West Coast Lambretta use to sponsor and promote a road racing event at Amago raceway, the pooter strange came out of the woodwork.... Man they use to crash those things hard.... pretty funny stuff... i might have to grab a spair pair of undies and go up for a laugh... ya wanna ride along?
kent