Author Topic: BUB Updates  (Read 87262 times)

Offline AHG

Re: BUB Updates
« Reply #300 on: September 04, 2010, 08:40:49 PM »
Sometimes when the race day is over the feeling of competition still remains; as can be seen in the included photo.
It was taken with a tied score, and only 2 minutes remaining in the
* * 2010 BHL (Bonneville Hockey League) National Championship Final * *
Both teams agreed to share the Championship Title, because they were too tired to continue.

I would also like to offer a big thank you all I encountered for providing a great week of racing,
along with letting me see and learn more about some absolutely awesome bikes, and more so, B.A. engines.

See Ya
Drew Gatewood   :cheers:
~ I CAN COUNT MY LIFE ON ONE HAND ~
Faith, Family, Friends, & Fast Motorcycles

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #301 on: September 04, 2010, 09:01:40 PM »
DG ... I didnt know that you played for the 'Hawks.

Joe

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #302 on: September 04, 2010, 09:03:47 PM »
Nah, you can easily see that he isn't a pro-level hockey player.  Those skates are NOT CCM brand, which all hockey jocks wear (or used to wear).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #303 on: September 04, 2010, 11:32:30 PM »
The Black Lightning had a really good event, even though no records were set.  The bike is alive and we left it in Wendover for the WoS.  The clutch oil down was the only major issue of the meet.  We launched 5 times... the first for 2 miles, couldn't get the bike to shift... next a 205 that we thought was a little fat.. the third, after new plugs and leaning 2 steps oiled the clutch (plug read showed way lean)... went fatter and the next run clutch slipped in 2nd, went 198... Last run after more lock weight still slipping, 178?.... Could have used the rain and wind delay days but a good event for the scooter.
Great job by 99% of the volunteers,  our only issue was being the only bike in the long course pre-stage and being held for an hour (while the winds were calm) so they could sort out the short course bike line from the day before.  I finally pissed the guy off, he told me if I wanted to make up my own rules we should just go on down to the 0  :| .... I thanked him and we left... Winds picked up just as we were about to start the motors.... we were ready to go and we waited at the 0 the remainder of the day. 
Many many many thanks to Kurt at the 0 and Rex in the tower for trying to find us windows in the wind to run the last 2 days...
It was a great event again
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #304 on: September 05, 2010, 12:17:04 AM »
Don,pretty sure I know who you mean.
Not sure if it was second or third day when the AMA tech guys came to our pit and told me that there had been concerns voiced about my tail section. Now they had passed on this on my entry,had me sit on bike and measured everywhere.They sat me back on bike and told me that because my hips were inside a line drawn from tailsection to seat area it was considered an aerodynamic advantage.My response was--so if I had a bigger but it would have been legal. The answer was --probably. Now how ridiculous is that!!!!! They were sure lucky both my return runs were horrible because if I had had a record denied I would have lost it!
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Freud

« Reply #305 on: September 05, 2010, 12:27:23 AM »
55chevr......You certainly did a marvelous job with your presentations.

I know that Ray was happy that you were there.

It's marvelous that you were both a competitor and a contributor.

I'm glad you made it home and are "saving the salt" so u can return it next year.

Ever think of using it on the road in front of your house to make it safer this winter?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #306 on: September 05, 2010, 07:21:02 AM »
AT the riders meeting, Dennis told the riders to clean off the salt on the flats ... I thought he was half joking but I can see that I have about 10 lbs under my truck ... multiply that times the number of vehicles annually that attend events .... guessing a thousand vehicles and that is 10,000 lbs annually carted off ... or 5 tons ... I was able to recover 7 lbs from under the truck ...

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #307 on: September 05, 2010, 09:39:32 AM »
I  know this might be symbolic but how would people feel if we all brought at least a 25 lb bag of salt with us to every event and at the end of the meet somebody went out with a truck and  emptied the bags  out the back of the truck. Seems like we should at least try to "give back" at least as much salt as we are taking off on our vehicles.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #308 on: September 05, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »

Lars - Indian

Lars on his first run on the salt flats

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #309 on: September 05, 2010, 09:45:27 AM »
What I found interesting about Lars Indian is that it is hand shift / foot clutch ... that is an adventure on course ... When the shift handle broke off, Lars used a visegrip to shift ... He was not perplexed in the least.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #310 on: September 05, 2010, 10:20:36 AM »

International short start mile 3 ... Nick Roberts going over starting procedures with Lars ... Starter Bob Collier can be seen in the left background ... great crew ...

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #311 on: September 08, 2010, 12:42:40 AM »
My oldest son told me about the A-10 Warthogs that flew over the meet.  He is in the Marines.  They call for air support and they describe the target.  The warthogs show up if enemy armor (tanks, etc) are the problem.  The main Warthog weapon is a cannon that shoots depleted uranium bullets.  They can go through the armor of most tanks.

These planes helped to keep the cold war cold, according to my son.  The Soviet's main offensive force was lots of armor and the Warthogs were a threat to it.  The planes had a calming effect on the Russian military.     

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
« Reply #312 on: September 08, 2010, 01:31:49 AM »
Great update everyone! Thanks for all your sharing.
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #313 on: September 08, 2010, 11:04:44 AM »
Well, 5 days after BUB and I still can't wipe the silly grin off my face. Thank you to all the well wishers, I really appreciate the support and good vibes. It helps my attitude when chasing the gremlins out of the machine. A big thanks to Bob Bakker, Warren, Craig and Larry, you guys are the best! I couldn't have run with out the "Boogie Van" crew.
 We also have infected my sister and brother-in-law, running RWB and having a blast.
 Thanks Ray the Rat for being there and doing what you do for us racers, my donation has been posted, we need you back on the salt.
 The biggest Thanks in the world to all the BUB volunteers and officials who keep the peace, and make the event so good.
 What can be said about the awards party?, Great job Larry! you kept it moving along and had us laughing. I am humbled by the quality of the people in our little group of speed junkies. The Klock's, Santa (buy more cheese!), Fritz K., Bob Bakker and Bub his self. Talk about giving back to the sport, you lot are the top of the heap. (if I forgot anyone it was not intentional, I love ya all) Thanks for a great Bub2010 everyone.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #314 on: September 08, 2010, 01:24:40 PM »
If you don't buy cheese santa is going to kick your A$$