Author Topic: BUB Updates  (Read 87312 times)

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
Re: BUB Updates
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 09:02:47 AM »
Ray:

That "great big thing" you saw (and pictured) is a section of windmill stand/tower.

Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 09:36:48 AM »
We were on the access road to the salt this morning for the second day of racing at 6 am today. Everyone was being turned around because of water on the salt. They said to come back at 10 am. We only made one run yesterday and that was 199.91, with VERY slippery salt, and no big speeds so far.

On tires here at BUB. Drew Gatewood, head scrutineer, had all the 200mph guys promise to report tire data to him. After my last run I measured the temp at 90 degrees with ambient salt temps around 83 degrees. So nothing to report yet. My daughter's husband who was riding my turbo ZX-10r had a FRONT tire blow out at 163 mph but he hung on withou going down. The valve stem broke and we have no idea why. We spent a few hours fixing the tire and all is OK now.

We have 4 more days of racing, so hopefully there will be some better news to report.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 10:07:22 AM »
Ken Saillant states that the AMA and Bub's staff meeting is set for 10 am ... the conditions will be assessed at that time ... there is a possibility of racing later in the afternoon ... there is standing water on the international course and it maybe possible to use it short plus the mountain course ...

Offline sabat

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 10:09:44 AM »
We were on the access road to the salt this morning for the second day of racing at 6 am today. Everyone was being turned around because of water on the salt. They said to come back at 10 am. We only made one run yesterday and that was 199.91, with VERY slippery salt, and no big speeds so far.

On tires here at BUB. Drew Gatewood, head scrutineer, had all the 200mph guys promise to report tire data to him. After my last run I measured the temp at 90 degrees with ambient salt temps around 83 degrees. So nothing to report yet. My daughter's husband who was riding my turbo ZX-10r had a FRONT tire blow out at 163 mph but he hung on withou going down. The valve stem broke and we have no idea why. We spent a few hours fixing the tire and all is OK now.

We have 4 more days of racing, so hopefully there will be some better news to report.
Don

Don, I'd love to see pics & hear details of your turbo ZX10r, best of luck with it & your bike this week.  :cheers: -Dean

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 10:16:07 AM »
Ray:

That "great big thing" you saw (and pictured) is a section of windmill stand/tower.

Jeff in Boise

Thanks, Jeff.  That clears that one up.  It's amazing how answers always seem to come from someone on the web.  How did we ever live without it?

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 10:32:19 AM »

Rex SVOBODA conducting the rookie orientation meeting Sunday

Aaron Wilson's fueler

Susan Wilson's fueler

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 10:53:30 AM »
To digress:

If that's a section of the tower for a wind generator -- it's not a "standard" piece.  We've been seeing lots of the tower pieces this summer, and most of them are longer than the one in the photo -- and much lighter (weight).  There was one in the parking lot of a motel where we stayed in Green River, Utah, last weekend -- and I took the time to get close to it.  First of all, this one (in the parking lot) was similar to most -- about 60 feet long and carried on a dual-axle dolly that was tied to the tractor, which also was a dual-axle unit.  The load that duals can carry is limited to about 40,000# or less.  The photo you put up here shows lots more axles than just five -- which implies heavier than the usual 80 - 90,000# GVW.  Ditto the length -- the "tube" itself looks pretty short (comparing it to the rest of the stuff in the photo).

So maybe it was for a wind generator, but for one hellaciously big unit -- not the ones we see scattered over the landscape here and there throughout the county.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 10:57:43 AM »
To add to what's been said, I'll pass on some info I got from my tall friend Texican.

He called and told me that there's a lotta water at Land's End.  This isn't unusual (see foto from 2003
http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2003/wf/031015/031015_001r8.jpg ); some water in the pits and the course condition is unknown at the moment, except for what's already been posted.  I think "wet" would be be a safe bet.

More news as it happens.

I wanna thank Joe and Don for filling in with fotos.  Sure makes for better coverage of the meet. 

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2010, 11:23:14 AM »

Bennetts Harley ... the photo doesnt do the candy apple paint justice ... nice work

"The iron dog"

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2010, 11:35:27 AM »
Ray / Don ... would like to meet you this week ... If you get a chance I am pitted along the front towards the course about midway ...  Blue Silverado is the pit ride ... Joe

Offline WildBro

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2010, 11:44:21 AM »
What is the rule in AMA or FIM for seeing "all"(but hands/forarms) of the rider.  Is it differant from SCTA/ECTA?

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline Wester

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010, 11:48:05 AM »

Don

For what it's worth ...
We had a rather wild but short storm go through SLC this morning.  Lots of thunder, some lightning and pelting rain.  It looks like the rain is about over now.  What is the standing water situation like on the salt?  It's supposed to be cooler today but warm up after tomorrow in the city.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
Yep it's part of the newer model 400' tall wind generators. You know, one of the things that are robbing gigajuoles of energy from our atmosphere. Talk about affecting our weather, this has the potential to be way worse than so-called ozone depletion and greenhouse effects.
Prove me wrong. Think maybe I'll write a book and make a movie.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2010, 01:11:05 PM »
Yep it's part of the newer model 400' tall wind generators. You know, one of the things that are robbing gigajuoles of energy from our atmosphere. Talk about affecting our weather, this has the potential to be way worse than so-called ozone depletion and greenhouse effects.
Prove me wrong. Think maybe I'll write a book and make a movie.
Them darn joule thieves are at it again.  :x Wayno

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2010, 01:20:39 PM »
Richard, I'm pleased that at least someone understands that wind energy is still energy, and that converting it to electricity changes the entire energy (of the planet) equation.  Not much, probably, but still. . .

As for other environment-changing things like ozone and greenhouse gas -- I'll be happy to chat about those viv-a-vis, not here on the racing Forum.  I've got some ideas, and evidently so do you --= and maybe sharing them would bring about a bit of learning for each of us.  No beer for me, please, but feel free to visit next time we're both at the salt or wherever and have some time to burn.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com