Author Topic: BUB Updates  (Read 87275 times)

Offline isiahstites

Re: BUB Updates
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 07:05:35 PM »
Just after I saw Tom, I saw Peg Leg Craig's pit and he graciously offered to pose in front of his partially streamlined sidecar rig.  He's good people.

Craig is very good people, please keep us posted of his runs if you happen to see them.

Thanks for the coverage everyone!

Scott

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 09:14:43 PM »
I'm back at the motel.  I just got an email from Max Lambky's wife that told me the reason for his aborted run earlier today.  Apparently there was a loose wire that wouldn't allow the thing to shift outta first gear.

Also talked with Lars about the Indian.  More on a separate post.

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 09:41:25 PM »
I only have a minute now but please check my pics here ;

BUB PICS

Finally got my bike sorted this afternoon. Test run ( first picture in the pic upload )
Will run it tomorrow unless....?

BUB is fantastic...fantastic bikes...fantastic people !

More later when I get back to the motel.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 09:56:07 PM »
Lars and the Indian.  Talk about things crossing in the mail...

This one's gonna take a while, so grab a cool one and sit back.  

During Speed Week, everyone (well, maybe not EVERYone...but close) was asking about Lars and his Indian.  I caught up with him at Salt Talks and we visited for a bit but didn't get any info on the bike.  It was a nice chat, nonetheless.  

This afternoon, I came to Randy Crenshaw's pit where my tall friend (we look like Mutt and Jeff when we're together...he's about a whole foot taller than I am) Jim, aka Texican is serving as gourmet chef for the team.  Kinda hard to miss either one...the Texican part or the chef part.  He's havin the time of his life.  Happier than a pig in sh1t.  Randy had made one shakedown pass and that was it.  More runs tomorrow.

While I was there, Randy came over to visit (seems like I do as much of that as I do shooting fotos or updating the forum...but I get some interesting info that way.)  As we were talking we heard a very aggressive exhaust note that echoed off the mountains or something.  It was eerie but pleasant at the same time.  A VERY mean-sounding motor.  Randy mentioned that every time he heard it, the hairs on his arms stood up.  I can sure agree with that.  So I went to investigate.

I found that two pits down, Lars had his pit and he'd been rapping the throttle of the Indian.  Check the foto.  Anyway he'd shut it off by the time I got there, but greeted me with a great big smile on his face.  He told me that he'd just found out what it was that had been causing him a whole lotta trouble.  

He was just bubbling with excitement.  He said he'd run tomorrow and the smile got even bigger.  I told him that I'd update landracing and he said to mention that he was "the happiest guy in the world."  

So.  Nothing but good news up and down the pits except for one Honda 450 team that was packin up cuz so many little things had gone wrong that they figgered it would be a better idea to fix everything back at the shop.  With my Swiss Cheese memory, I can't remember who it was.  Dam, I hate this memory trouble sh1t.  

I've got a couple more fotos to post, but I'll be posting further news about everybody I can find out about.  

Maybe it's time for another cool one.

Offline Freud

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 10:09:26 PM »
And I missed my chance to meet Lars when I missed Salt Talks.

I hate that. At least I saw his Salt Talks name badge in a foto.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 10:32:34 PM »
From the "There.  I fixed it" department.

First one is proof that if a little bit is good, then more's better.  And a LOT more is a LOT better.  Or you can never have too much hauling power.  Or something like that.

I've seen some interesting race car haulers, but this one takes the cake.

Red Green strikes again.  For those who thought my "Redneck Special" trailer was kinda goofy (including me) then check out these fotos.  I guess if ya got a Taurus with a wiped out rear end (there's a good straight line if I ever heard one) and part of a pickup bed, then call up Red Green and put him to work.  You'll end up with the strangest extended cab pickup ever.

The kicker is the tonneau cover. It's made from foam board and "sculpted" into shape, chamfered edges and all.  And it's from Minnesota...maybe Red DID do the job.  Stranger than fiction.

Finally, there's another Red Green thing.  One of the shows was centered around a "great big thing" coming down the road.  Well, I found it.  As I passed it on the freeway, I thought it might be going to the Carlin Gold Mine, the site of the largest gold discovery of the 20th century.  Long ago in a galaxy far away, I was the hardware tech for their Remote Job Entry (RJE) system.  It was located next to  the building that housed the ball mills.  Absolutely filthy.  If you were clean when ya got there, you sure weren't when ya left...even if ya never left the office building.  Later they built a newer office structure near the leaching ponds...and ended up with a large mainframe system.  I don't EVER regret going into software development shortly after that system upgrade happened.  Software is much cleaner than hardware.  And it was there that I learned to hate 80 column punch card systems.

Ok.  it's time for bed.  I'll be back on the job tomorrow.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 11:22:51 PM »
First off ... Slim - I wasnt offended ... I am not as good a reporter as you are ... I think we all remember the job you did at the shootout ... It almost like being there ... I am trying to get as many photos posted as I can before I fall asleep ... I have to be at Mile 2 long course at 0700. I was stranded there when the wind picked up and shut down the course prematurely this evening ... We all starting in the order we were in when it closed ... Joe

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 11:26:56 PM »

This lovely lady proudly pronounced her position on the ride as "the monkey" ... as I previously stated she has a mini stuffed toy monkey wire tied under the fairing.

XB9 Buell powered drag frame ... went 137 this afternoon

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 11:53:22 PM »

Dennis opening drivers meeting

Interesting

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 11:55:54 PM »
The Black Lightning failed to shift from first gear on it's shake down run today.  Did about 180 or so in first.  Plugs looked good. chains all looked good, found a salt infected wire, but further investigation revealed that would not cause the no shift,  Have a few more checks to run in the morning, then we will try again.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 12:03:43 AM »

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 04:28:42 AM »
It's 2:20 ayem.  I fell asleep at the computer.  Damm!  I hate it when I do that. 

But when I woke up, I heard a strange pitter-patter sound.  I didn't bleeve it...but yes, it's raining.  Steady drizzle.  Photo pg weather map included.

Stay tuned. I gotta get more sleep...like in a real bed.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 08:09:48 AM »
tech line photos ... I dont know whose bike is whose ... bear with me ....

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 08:20:55 AM »
some more tech line fotos ... We were treated to a low level flyby (100 feet altitude) from an pair of A10-s .... look carefully and you can see one approaching the tech line ... some of the folks are waving to the pilot ... gotta love it ... I am surprized I got it in the frame

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 08:45:28 AM »

Lucille Dunn's Buell Blast

Rained last night and we not going on the salt flats until Dennis can assess the conditions at day break. I am told there is standing water on the flats.