Author Topic: BUB Updates  (Read 87042 times)

landracing

BUB Updates
« on: August 29, 2010, 02:34:33 PM »
Starting a new topic for BUB updates.

The other thread was started for a different topic, So ill start a new topic for a thread of updates only.

I just found out that Max is enroute to tow up to the line for their first runs.

JonAmo

Offline landsendlynda

Re: BUB Updates
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 02:36:12 PM »
WOO HOO!!!   Go Max GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 04:24:34 PM »
Yer tired and windblown landracing reporter finally got here! 

Weather report.  Very pleasant.  Temps in the 70s, a gentle breeze and bikes are running on the course.  Registration is a little chaotic, but not bad.  Here are fotos of the pits and tech.  More to follow as I wander around doing my cub reporter thing.

Just as additional info, the announcing broadcast is on FM 89.5

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 05:18:01 PM »
Ray ... good call ... I can update from this morning. Drivers meeting at 0700. Dennis Manning (Bub) and Ken Salent (AMA) gave the opening. Rex Sloboda went over the course procedures and held a rookie meeting immediately after the drivers meeting. I got a lot of pictures from tech this morning that I post later. Ray's will be better.

Joe

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 05:41:48 PM »
Joe, just for the sake of being nice to a guy who's name isn't as easy to spell as is yours -- Rex's last name is Svoboda.  He runs the 313 car and is crew chief for the Burkland Family 'liner.

Thanks for all of the information on what's going on out there.  I'll be checking the Forum frequently, I promise - - and not just for your spelling errors. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 05:48:36 PM »
Thanks for the help, Joe.  I'm here by myself and can't be everywhere at once.  Your photos will be really helpful.

I wandered down to the end of the pits and got a shot looking back toward Land's End. 

According to the Wunderground radar animation loop, the weather cells are passing to the west of the salt.

I ran into Tom Mellor with his Rolls Royce tow car and partially (about as partially as you can get) streamlined Triumph.

Back to work.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 06:03:41 PM »
weather update ... wind from the north at ZERO mph ... tough to figure that out .... my manometer indicates no wind ... The Klocks are here in force ... 5 bikes, all painted charcoal and red.   Had an interesting discussion with a woman that is the rider on a sidecar rig. She identified herself as the "the monkey".   In fact, she has a stuffed monkey under the fairing.   

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 06:07:28 PM »
Slim, I clearly stated that the copy part of anything I did would not meet your standards. It is considerably more difficult to get the story part. The photos are much easier.  Maybe 25 bikes in pre-stage right now. There are some return runs on course right now.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 06:11:20 PM »
checking the track for debris. Some interesting stuff from this morning, a 500cc bike left the starting line on the long course without being flagged off. He proceeded to run the entire course long past mile 5 and was last seen approaching floating mountain.

Offline Cole222

• Recluse Holster
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 06:22:18 PM »
In 2008 Tom Mellor ran 750 MPS-PG setting the AMA record at 180.317
and a record in 750 M-PG at 159.903.

It looks like he is upping his Triumph Triple to 1000 MPG-PG with the current record set in 2008 of 164.117 by W. Hodgson on a BMW.
Will he also remove the fairing and go for the current 1000 M-PG record of 155.848 set by S. Hamel on a Vincent?

Pretty good for a retired guy from British Columbia that races "on my pension income."
"Form and function are the opposite sides of the same coin." R Reagan

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 06:23:19 PM »
Just after I saw Tom, I saw Peg Leg Craig's pit and he graciously offered to pose in front of his partially streamlined sidecar rig.  He's good people.

Then I went out to the end of the measured mile and I heard some guys whoopin and hollerin.  I had to go check it out and I found that Dave Edwards ran 176 on his 1650 Partial Production Kawasaki.  Not such a huge number, but he and his crew man were all pumped up because that allows him to run on the long course.  Dave even went back into the trailer to put his leathers on for the foto.  

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:28:00 PM by RayTheRat »

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 06:33:37 PM »

Where is that record listed? I haven't been able to find it :?
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Cole222

• Recluse Holster
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 06:49:06 PM »

Where is that record listed? I haven't been able to find it :?
It is at the bottom of the 2010 Supplemental (scroll all the way to the bottom for current records).

http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2010_event/AMA-BonSR%27s-2010.pdf
"Form and function are the opposite sides of the same coin." R Reagan

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 06:53:30 PM »
Thanks, I remember the run, I just didn't see it in the 2008 BUB web site records.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 06:53:37 PM »
Joe, I only mentioned the "correct" spelling of Rex's name because it's a very uncommon name/spelling and lots of folks probably don't know anything about it.  Since he's working in the timing tower (I assume he is, along with Tom Burkland -- they've been in the tower for the past few Bub meets) I thought I'd help everyone reading these pages know who's who.

It's obvious that you're taking time out of your personal day to make the posts and get the photos -- and I appreciate it very much.  Thanks yet another time.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com