Author Topic: ERC 110 octane fuel at Speedweek?  (Read 25709 times)

Offline ERC RACING FUELS

• New folks
Re: ERC 110 octane fuel at Speedweek?
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2010, 12:03:38 AM »

Thanks Rick...that explains things more than I expected.
   It looks like you gave such a detailed answer that you forgot about my question about [is my gas still good in my tank from speedweek and how soon soon should we get it in a sealed container]?

JL222

JOHN:

Sorry, I did overlook that question. 

The best practice is to never leave fuel sitting in any kind of open container for any time at all.  A vented fuel cell or tank is an open container.  Plug off your fuel vent(s) during the event when you're not racing (always remembering to unplug the vent before you run) and, immediately upon conclusion of racing, empty the tank/cell and put the fuel in a well sealed metal container (D.O.T.) 5G, 16G, or 55G drum.

The above is best practice but rarely followed.  Note that any fuel sitting in a vented tank for more than a couple of days has probably volatalized at least some of the low carbon number/light hydrocarbons out via the tank vent.  This lowers gross volatility and negatively alters the distillation curve of the fuel.  What this means in a practical sense is that the fuel formula after a couple of days has actually changed from what you initially poured in the tank. i.e. Now the tank contains fuel with a larger proportion of heavy, less lightable, chemicals, which also have a lower hydrogen to carbon ratio; a ratio very important for net heat production.  Everything you do for fuel storage should be to minimize this light end "boil off" phenomena and also to minimize the exposure of the liquid fuel to UV light which can have adverse effects on fuel dye and on T.E.L.

Plastic Superjugs are handy and are OK for short term (a couple of days) fuel storage.  However, they do admit UV light and they usually don't seal well creating the light end "boil off" described above.  So use Superjugs when you must.  But after the event seal up the fuel tightly in a metal D.O.T. drum with "O" Ring sealed bungs.

When storing the fuel in a garage or shed, keep the fuel elevated off the ground or concrete on a pair of wood 2X4's.  This will minimize temperature changes on the fuel and will also let you see if there is any leakage out the bottom of your storage container.  Often the bottom chine of the drum will leak slightly or "weep".  If the drum is right on the floor the seepage can be hidden under the bottom of the drum.

If you store the fuel outside, make sure no standing water accumulates on the drum head.  A small, cheap tarp with the flaps secured by a bungy cord will prevent this.

Never store fuel in any area where there is open flame (water heaters, furnaces, etc); even if the drum is sealed tightly.  Drums can and do begin to seep in storage sometimes.  If they begin to emit significant vapors near an ignition source obviously bad things can happen.

Best regards.

Rick Gold
ERC Fuels-owner

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2010, 01:15:00 AM »
What engine characteristics would make MULB a better choice in an air cooled motorcycle engine than than 110K?

Offline ERC RACING FUELS

• New folks
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2010, 02:27:18 PM »
What engine characteristics would make MULB a better choice in an air cooled motorcycle engine than than 110K?

WOBBLY:

If the engine develops only moderate cylinder pressures and has shown tolerance for lower octane fuels in the past, I'll often recommend MULB for these applications.  Obviously MULB at 101 R+M/2 octane has significantly lower resistance to heat and pressure than does the leaded ERC110K at 111-112 R+M/2 octane.  So I try to be sure the REOR (Running Engine Octane Requirement) is not driven upward by other factors.

Examples of these other factors:
-Poor cylinder head and cylinder cooling (air cooled engines are often trouble in this area)
-Iron rather than aluminum head(s) and cylinder(s)
-Tuner is inexperienced
-Existing tune-up is obviously poor
-Engine has not demonstrated tolerance for lower octane fuels previously
-Engine has never before been run on a reduced octane, unleaded fuel
-Rider often goes to WOT at low RPM's and is prone to lugging the engine
-Tuner is unsure of compression ratio and/or prior fuels used

If any of the above factors exist, I'll try to point the customer in the direction of ERC110K.

Note that MULB is the most heavily oxygenated gasoline we bring to Bville.  It is approx 3.0% net oxy by mass and, therefore, has the most theoretical power potential of the gasoline class legal fuels at Bville.  That said it's important not to misapply this fuel to applications that develop high cylinder pressures and operate with high REOR.

Note that it's very common for the hi-rpm, 4 cyl, "superbike" engines to do very well on this fuel.  At Speedweek and Bub's many racers use MULB successfully.

Thanks for your question.  If you have others, just let me know.

Best regards.

Rick Gold
ERC Fuels-owner

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2010, 11:42:57 PM »
Thanks for the information, Rick.  I am the character with the pop rivet Triumph.  I used the unleaded this year because I did not want to hurt my lambda sensor.  Normally I run 110K.  My engine seems like a good application for the unleaded based on your list and it ran very well when I used it.   

Offline joea

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2010, 10:28:47 AM »
...ran with erc's heaviest leaded fuel a8c, same
wide band for 6 years........

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2010, 11:08:13 AM »

Speaking of wide bands and leaded fuel... What's the best way to clean the o2 sensors?

I started getting eratic readings from the o2 sensors running A19A. I am thinking I might need to clean the sensors. Thanks
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2010, 12:36:12 PM »
-Tuner is inexperienced

That about sums up our experience this year with our suck through situation---
Rick was unbelieveably helpful and tolerant  :cheers: ---and didn't snicker one time  :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline ERC RACING FUELS

• New folks
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2010, 07:11:49 PM »
Thanks for the information, Rick.  I am the character with the pop rivet Triumph.  I used the unleaded this year because I did not want to hurt my lambda sensor.  Normally I run 110K.  My engine seems like a good application for the unleaded based on your list and it ran very well when I used it.   

WOBBLY:

I don't remember our discussion on the static compression ratio for your engine.  Use the MULB prudently and you'll be OK.  Just keep in mind that it's octane numbers are significantly lower than the leaded fuel you are replacing.

BTW, I dig that fairing.  It gives off an artsy vibe.  Kinda' cool....

Best regards.

Rick Gold-owner
ERC Fuels

Offline ERC RACING FUELS

• New folks
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2010, 07:16:35 PM »

Speaking of wide bands and leaded fuel... What's the best way to clean the o2 sensors?

I started getting eratic readings from the o2 sensors running A19A. I am thinking I might need to clean the sensors. Thanks

LARRY:

Carbon tetrachloride can be used to clean O2 sensors.  Problem is that this chemical is pretty toxic and hard to come by.  Sometimes just turning the sensor 180 degrees in the pipe will solve the problem.  Most common fix is to simply replace the sensor.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Rick Gold
ERC Fuels-owner

Offline ERC RACING FUELS

• New folks
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »
Hi Rick,
I looked on your website for distributors, did I over look the link? Anyway, who is closest to south middle Tennessee, I wanted to check on a small amount for my engine dyno for this winter.

WFO JOHN:

Sorry, been away from the computer while at World of Speed.

Please come back to me at ercracingfuels@sbcglobal.net with your street address and I'll work up a quote for a direct shipment to you.  Also, let me know how many gallons you'll want shipped.

Thx.

Rick Gold
ERC Fuels-owner

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2010, 09:01:06 AM »
Sending info.