Author Topic: Just on the News, BLM to review all racing permits.  (Read 5911 times)

Offline desotoman

Just on the News, BLM to review all racing permits.
« on: August 20, 2010, 02:38:06 PM »
I hope this does not affect us at El Mirage. I just heard on the news that the BLM will review all racing permits for the use of their land. This is a direct result of an offroad race held in Lucerne, Ca. where 8 people attending the race were killed.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline mkilger

Re: Just on the News, BLM to review all racing permits.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 04:38:37 PM »
my buddy called, He said that his sand drag races were caned for the rest of the year, didnt know if it had anything to do with it though? lets hope not 

Offline maj

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 07:31:52 PM »
one would hope the long history & well placed and often reviewed safety procedures would put the SCTA in good standing

Offline WildBro

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 07:36:58 PM »
Isn't Bonneville BLM also?

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 07:43:54 PM »
Yes... The BNI has a permit to hold 2 events at the BLM property on the Bonneville evaporation basin... the SCTA also has a permit to hold 6 events on BLM property at the El Mirage dry lake recreation area.... You should not be naive to think this event will not effect us
Kent

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
  It may be time for the SCTA and its membership to join with SAVE THE SALT in retaining the "Big Time Law Firm" that Larry Volk mentioned at the Speedweek drivers meeting.  DONATE.................
Bob Drury

Offline DallasV

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 09:07:25 PM »
This was on our local news here in SLC. It may ease your mind a bit
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=12017372
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 12:02:37 PM »
LSR @ Bonneville is not really a spectator sport, as much as it is a spectator event, and it's a Great event. It was amazing to see all the people camped out from dawn to dusk from the starting line to the Fuel Truck.

I still find it unbelieveable that some people crossed the courses! At El Mirage you kind of expect it from unsupervised kids on ATVs and Bikes. Hit one and we're done.

Tom

Online jl222

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 01:40:20 PM »
LSR @ Bonneville is not really a spectator sport, as much as it is a spectator event, and it's a Great event. It was amazing to see all the people camped out from dawn to dusk from the starting line to the Fuel Truck.

I still find it unbelieveable that some people crossed the courses! At El Mirage you kind of expect it from unsupervised kids on ATVs and Bikes. Hit one and we're done.

Tom

SCTA should print up do's and don'ts and hand them out at lands end to spectators. Maybe they already do.

JL222

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 09:04:38 PM »
You could tatoo the dos and dont on their forehead.  Stupid people are going to be stupid.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 09:36:07 PM »
If it was on their fourhead they couldn't read it, unless they had a reversable mirror. :mrgreen:

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 11:48:23 PM »
If it was on their fourhead they couldn't read it, unless they had a reversable mirror. :mrgreen:

It wouldn't make any difference.  Some of the people I see at El Mirage couldn't count to twenty one unless they were naked.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 11:53:29 PM »

It wouldn't make any difference.  Some of the people I see at El Mirage couldn't count to twenty one unless they were naked.
:-D

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 05:09:25 PM »
APNewsBreak: BLM rules not followed in race deaths
Published November 19, 2010
| Associated Press

LOS ANGELES –  The U.S. Bureau of Land Management said Friday its staff failed to properly monitor and prepare for an off-road race in which eight spectators were killed in the Mojave Desert.

A ranger assigned to patrol the area did not monitor the 200-mile race, and BLM staff in the Barstow, Calif., field office did not adequately prepare for the event with promoters, an internal review found .

BLM declined to name the ranger or the staff members responsible for permitting the event, citing privacy laws. Appropriate personnel actions were being taken, the agency said without specifying.

BLM Director Bob Abbey said the agency had taken steps to improve oversight of recreational events, including providing adequate staffing and requiring more oversight to ensure that its employees are complying with agency rules.

"My clear directive is: if our field offices cannot fulfill or complete all the required steps in authorizing this event, then no permit will be issued," Abbey said in a statement.

The Aug. 14 tragedy occurred amid fans partying close to the race course.

Video posted on the Internet showed spectators standing within feet of the sand track as competitors sped over a jump. One truck smashed into the crowd and ended up on its roof.

The BLM said since the accident, it has authorized more than a dozen off-road events with appropriate law enforcement and management staff oversight. The agency said it has denied four permits "due to inadequate advance time and close adherence to permit procedure requirements."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/19/apnewsbreak-blm-rules-followed-race-deaths/
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!