Author Topic: Edwards test in October?  (Read 6191 times)

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
Edwards test in October?
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »
Hey guys,

Quick question - I was standing on the starting line at Bonneville this weekend when I vaguely over heard the starting line announcer mention an upcoming test in October being held at Edwards. I believe that he mentioned testing speeds up too 500mph and I thought I also heard that it was a female driver. Was I hearing things, or was there some truth to this? Please disregard this post if you feel that the sun got too me and I was just hearing things.  :roll:

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
Re: Edwards test in October?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 01:30:32 AM »
Not exactly true, but close..
Ed

Offline mkilger

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 10:33:35 AM »
how come they can run at Edwards and SCTA cannot ?   :|

Offline F104A

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:25:04 AM »
Money!    I've jumped through all the hoops the Air Force has requested, and there are lots of them. Now they want $26,000 just to allow us to run one car over a few days on the lakebed, not to mention the other expenses. We've been holding off on a committment because we haven't found a sponsor to help us with the cost. SCTA can run if they put up lots of money too. We have requested October but that is not firm. If things don't work out, we've been looking at two other locations but they also cost allot of money and the logistics make it really difficult.
Ed

Offline ski123

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 05:15:37 PM »
Ed,  Your project is awsome!  It is so far beyond what most people can concieve.  But you do seem to have some problems with marketing.  You need to get the car out there for people to touch, see, feel, smell, hear, it's all part of the equasion.  Get people involved, not just your buddies ( they have spent anough time and money already ).  Maybe on your way to the desert you should stop at every local TV/radio station, every school, every college.  You also need to update your web site more often.  Work with sites like Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, ect.  Don't let technology slow you down, work with it.  I think you guys are underestimating the internet.  Raffles, contests, promotions, events, get the word out.  Hiding your car and keeping updates to once a month don't cut it in a digital age.  You guys are on the right track, and the money is out there.  You just need to channel it a bit better.  You also need to sell more logo products.  Have you ever seen the kids at a toy booth at a air show?  Parents are just handing money over to keep their kids happy.  You need to capitalize on the youth.  The economy is slow but people are still spending money on things they don't need, get in there and get some too.  I live in a town of 243 people we just raised over 5k for a guy who lost his leg in a bike accident, 5k in one night.  You have alot of local support but you need to branch out, your best bet is with the internet, and it's almost free.   I know you can do it, the car, the track, the money then the record!  Dammit USA let's take it back, and keep it here!  I know you can do it.  Flood the market.  Hey, the Bloodhound is cool no doubt.  But who here really cares about a British car running in S. Africa?  It's about N. America we can do it.  Remember internet, internet, internet, you must have some helpers with some teenage kids.  They know the computer better then you or I.  Capitalize on youth!  I know you will get it done.  Let the people know where you stand more often.  We will be watching for any changes.  Good luck!  Do it! USA

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 12:34:38 AM »
If SCTA decide to run again I hope I have enough notice to get Ratical back together
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline F104A

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 02:09:18 AM »
Thanks for the advice on increased exposure through the internet. Our webmaster seems to have bigger fish to fry nowadays. He's decided to run for state legislature so his interests have changed. My daughter-in-law has started learning about web design and loves to spend hours on the internet. I think it's time to change horses or at least utilize her more. We're going into a full court press to get things moving again. Our aerodynamics team is heads down right now on the fairings. All the other electical, hydraulic and mechanical issues are in order and ready to run. I see no reason why we cannot start making some real speed.
Ed

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 01:30:17 PM »
Not exactly true, but close..

Hi F104A,

Can you shed some light on what it was that I may or may not have heard over the P.A. at Bonnevile regarding the supposed test at Edwards in October? Who is it and what is being tested?

Thanks
TS

Offline F104A

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 06:51:43 PM »
I've met with the base commander and his staff and presented a proposal to conduct test runs up to
580 MPH on Runway 17 (11.5 miles) in October. So far, the only thing holding it up is $$$.
Ed

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 07:01:23 PM »
I've met with the base commander and his staff and presented a proposal to conduct test runs up to
580 MPH on Runway 17 (11.5 miles) in October. So far, the only thing holding it up is $$$.

Ed, I think he might need a bit more info. Maybe your wesite or a quick update on what you're running and why you might need the runway at Edwards.

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 08:12:44 PM »
Ed.... why are they charging money for useing public lands for private testing? this is not a open public competition
kent

Offline F104A

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 01:21:37 AM »
We haven't put anything on the website yet because we're still getting things in order. I hate to pre-announce
something and it doesn't work out. I put together the deal between the Air Force and the SteamCar guys and
we were going to run at the same time. Unfortunately, even though the steam car guys told me they would
pay my fee to run the NAE at the same time they were going their thing in exchange for getting them onto
Edwards, they pulled the plug at the last minute and said they couldn't afford us. We've learned not to make
statements about our plans until it is signed, sealed and delivered. As soon as we know it is FOR SURE, we'll
put it on the website.
Ed

Offline Jondolar

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 02:33:14 AM »
Thanks for the advice on increased exposure through the internet. Our webmaster seems to have bigger fish to fry nowadays. He's decided to run for state legislature so his interests have changed. My daughter-in-law has started learning about web design and loves to spend hours on the internet. I think it's time to change horses or at least utilize her more. We're going into a full court press to get things moving again. Our aerodynamics team is heads down right now on the fairings. All the other electical, hydraulic and mechanical issues are in order and ready to run. I see no reason why we cannot start making some real speed.

Ladies & Gentlemen:

I'm sorry to learn that F104A believes that I have "bigger fish to fry". After giving 13 years of my free time to this project voluntarily, and my employment situation changing because I got fed up with the ridiculousness of the "system" getting in the way of accomplishing the mission of education, I decided to take a different tack on life by attempting to be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem. My interests have not changed, I've simply taken a brief break from the situation to pursue this new endeavor while the project continues to move forward and until testing resumes where I'm needed. However, what seems to be going on here is a misunderstanding that, as a process of trying to do my part with the project's web site, I've been told to leave it up to another individual for content rather than allow me to do it on my own. I have no bone to pick with this arrangement; after all, it's their project and their web site. Yet, this arrangement has resulted in waiting for the other individual to send me said content before being able to post it; sometimes taking a week or more. Thus, my hands have been virtually tied, yet I'm being blamed for having "other fish to fry"?! So, this is the thanks I get? I wouldn't normally have said anything about this situation, but when I'm publicly berated to everyone out there, I'm going to defend myself. Others would say @#$% you!!! and walk away, but because I believe this project will eventually succeed, I choose to look past the misunderstanding and press on, like winners should. I hope F104A has come to the same realization.
Jondolar
NAE Webslave & C.I.O.
"Challenges can be stumbling blocks, or stepping stones. It's just a matter of how you view them." Unknown

Offline F104A

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 12:54:19 PM »
No Comment!
Ed