Author Topic: R+M=Octane?  (Read 10392 times)

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
R+M=Octane?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 11:21:31 AM »
How many ways are there to bypass this rule?

If that is the only way you can set a record might as well stay home.. And if you got caught at it i would suggest staying home for life as i suspect there will be very few that would offer a drink of water unless you were already drowning..
Dave

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Cheaters never prosper
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 12:15:54 PM »
Quote from: panic

How many ways are there to bypass this rule?

Why would you? I hope not for the money.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline panic

• My tech papers
R+M=Octane?
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 05:46:54 PM »
I'm really stunned.
I'll explain, although the very idea of this requiring explanation is a bit disconcerting.
If I can think of a way to bypass this, someone already has.

And no one will do anything about it... except criticize me.

Offline Bob Drury

R+M=Octane?
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2005, 05:56:19 PM »
How many records have been set in the last ten years by drivers in "rent a rides" that have no interest in coming back to race or help run a event?  I can think of more than one team who usually features "starting line strutters", you know, the ones with clean fingernails and spotless fire suits.  Well, the good news is they can't be members of my club, " 200 MPH Club for 53 Studebaker Drivers with a Unblown Early Olds Motor".  Hell, not even Dolan can join my club (allthough, I might reconcider if the price is right).
Bob Drury

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
R+M=Octane?
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2005, 05:35:18 AM »
I'm really stunned.
I'll explain, although the very idea of this requiring explanation is a bit disconcerting.

The point is we can all think of ways to work around any rule you might dream up or to certainly distort things to the point the spirit of the rule is not being followed. At the end of the day everyone i have dealt with deems it pretty lame to even bother and finds a lot more satisfaction breaking a record with everything on the up and up so to speak. It is a matter of honor and pride. That is all you particpate in this sport for. There is no money, very little publicity other than between your peers so what might you gain by cheating? I have crew cheifed a lot of vehicles that have run in the fuel class while running gasoline, not because there was anything in the tank other than gasoline but to just simplify everything. It is one less thing to do. Plus it leaves the gas record open for the next guy as well and hopefully someone will up the fuel record we set on gas and give us a reason to go play around again with that particular class. Panic this kind of racing is all about the fun factor and hanging out with friends. How often do you see someone either loan parts or give honest advise to someone running in the same class at tha same event in any other venue of motor racing. You don't start the week out there trying to figure out who is cheating more like what did they accomplish to get that kind of speed out of that thing?

Last year we set a record with the Berkly that was about 30+ over the old one in the low 250's and intentionally at that speed as the year before we hurt some pistons going faster. Then went back out and ran a 259 with an exit speed i believe over 260 though I may be wrong with that number. Point is what did we do to cheat in your mind as it was a current record we broke and within a few mph of the supercharged record for the same class car that even had a larger engine on a race track full of potholes. Go look at the modified sports records and see if you can figure out how we did this over the last couple of years withou cheating. here is a hint hard wook and paying attention to details. God only know it is not for the prize money. The only way i know to end up with a million dollars in this sport is to start with two million..
dave

Offline RICK

R+M=Octane?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2005, 09:42:36 AM »
Quote from: ddahlgren
I'm really stunned.

The point is we can all think of ways to work around any rule you might dream up or to certainly distort things to the point the spirit of the rule is not being followed. At the end of the day everyone i have dealt with deems it pretty lame to even bother and finds a lot more satisfaction breaking a record with everything on the up and up so to speak. It is a matter of honor and pride. That is all you particpate in this sport for. There is no money, very little publicity other than between your peers so what might you gain by cheating? I have crew cheifed a lot of vehicles that have run in the fuel class while running gasoline, not because there was anything in the tank other than gasoline but to just simplify everything. It is one less thing to do. Plus it leaves the gas record open for the next guy as well and hopefully someone will up the fuel record we set on gas and give us a reason to go play around again with that particular class. Panic this kind of racing is all about the fun factor and hanging out with friends. How often do you see someone either loan parts or give honest advise to someone running in the same class at tha same event in any other venue of motor racing. You don't start the week out there trying to figure out who is cheating more like what did they accomplish to get that kind of speed out of that thing?

Last year we set a record with the Berkly that was about 30+ over the old one in the low 250's and intentionally at that speed as the year before we hurt some pistons going faster. Then went back out and ran a 259 with an exit speed i believe over 260 though I may be wrong with that number. Point is what did we do to cheat in your mind as it was a current record we broke and within a few mph of the supercharged record for the same class car that even had a larger engine on a race track full of potholes. Go look at the modified sports records and see if you can figure out how we did this over the last couple of years withou cheating. here is a hint hard wook and paying attention to details. God only know it is not for the prize money. The only way i know to end up with a million dollars in this sport is to start with two million..
dave
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline RICK

R+M=Octane?
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2005, 09:50:50 AM »
Well ,,, that got a little out of control. But that stuff about 'fun factor and hanging with friends' etc. is what attracted me to this kind of racing, along with the fact that I got some kind of speed addiction[obsession]
  So, besides 6 grades of gas, I'm guessing they also bring alcahol and nitro?

Thanks Rick
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
R+M=Octane?
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2005, 11:15:53 AM »
and...

you still don't get it.

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
R+M=Octane?
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2005, 09:44:48 AM »
Problem is I do get it. For every rule there is a way to cheat, some obvious some not. generally the only ones worried about it a lot have done extensive research into how to circumvent the rules. There are ways to cheat in every thing from a Cub Scout Pinewwod Derby to F1. It is also possible to shoplift in a Salvation Army Store as well. There are also a lot of eyes out there as well more than you might imagine. It is a lot harder to shoplift in a store full of honest people if you catch my drift on that point.. You might also want to take into account most of the inspectors are a lot sharper than you might imagine on first blush. It is all about how you feel looking in the mirror at the end of the day. If you think that someone is cheating there is a protest procedure that is very simple. I just wouldn't use a comparison between your speed and someone else's to start the protest though LOL.. If you haven't been there yet, do not try to imagine what it might be like from 3000 miles away is my best advice.
Dave

Offline Dakin Engineering

fuel
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2005, 10:00:30 AM »
Rick,
  Yup, ERC got it all.
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Bob Drury

R+M=Octane?
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2005, 12:10:13 PM »
Well spoken, Dave.  Its too bad more politicians and business owners don't operate that way.  I am sure there are some LSR racers who do "what ever it takes" to win, but I think that the majority of us are trying to get that record the old fashioned way, by spending all our hard earned money and working our asses off.  I don't think there is anything wrong with "testing the boundries", if you will, but we all know the difference between right and wrong, and as you accuratley stated, the mirror on the wall doesn't lie.
Bob Drury

dwarner

R+M=Octane?
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2005, 12:46:07 PM »
"...I just wouldn't use a comparison between your speed and someone else's to start the protest though ..."

Les Leggitt told me years ago "... we can write a rulebook but I can't legislate a tuneup ..."

DW

dad land

The Mirror
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2005, 09:28:51 PM »
every record i have.....and no matter where i ran,the salt/SCTA-BNI,drag strip or the ECTA. i worked my tail off to get it and i earned it fair and sq. so when i look at the wall in my study/machine shop.,pieces of paper /photos and memories of my days. i have many memories of every run. good or no so good. on fire/blown engine or at a  record speed all are very special moments to me and my friends. every run is special to me and i earned it.but at the end of the day.when you look in the mirror, do you like what you see? when in the twilight of my years i sit on the porch and dwell on how i lived my life,or at that moment when my life flashes before my eyes....2 things i hope i do not feel........... is that all i did with my life? and the pride i hope to have knowing that  I've earned it and can carry my head high no matter what crowd of folks I'm in.bottom line-if you have to cheat to get it...............how much is it worth? down deep in your heart? even if you don't get caught! which your peers probably will............and believe me..............lsr guys have long memories and some of the guys I've run against are stand up guys.........some are known for being a cheat. and Dave's right,we do not forget.respect from your peers is worth more to me than any piece of paper ever will.
dad land

dad land

The Mirror
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2005, 09:29:33 PM »
every record i have.....and no matter where i ran,the salt/SCTA-BNI,drag strip or the ECTA. i worked my tail off to get it and i earned it fair and sq. so when i look at the wall in my study/machine shop.,pieces of paper /photos and memories of my days. i have many memories of every run. good or no so good. on fire/blown engine or at a  record speed all are very special moments to me and my friends. every run is special to me and i earned it.but at the end of the day.when you look in the mirror, do you like what you see? when in the twilight of my years i sit on the porch and dwell on how i lived my life,or at that moment when my life flashes before my eyes....2 things i hope i do not feel........... is that all i did with my life? and the pride i hope to have knowing that  I've earned it and can carry my head high no matter what crowd of folks I'm in.bottom line-if you have to cheat to get it...............how much is it worth? down deep in your heart? even if you don't get caught! which your peers probably will............and believe me..............lsr guys have long memories and some of the guys I've run against are stand up guys.........some are known for being a cheat. and Dave's right,we do not forget.respect from your peers is worth more to me than any piece of paper ever will.
dad land

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: The Mirror
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2005, 02:32:46 AM »
Quote from: dad land
dad land

Great post (s) Chris, I agree 100%

J