Author Topic: R+M=Octane?  (Read 10393 times)

Offline RICK

R+M=Octane?
« on: December 02, 2005, 08:40:52 AM »
If one wants to run in the "GAS" class on the salt, my understanding is that you must run 'EVENT GAS".  I would like to know what octane that is so that I can put as much compression in the engine as possible.

thanks Rick
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline Dakin Engineering

octane
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 10:15:48 AM »
There are several octane grades available.

*Disclaimer!*
It is my "understanding" that gas loses octane
over time. They make it to the "high" side, so when
you actually purchase it, it is within the specified range.
And the ERC fuels are extremely fresh.
Mebbe a bit higher octane than spec.
*End disclaimer*

My bike ran better on 91 pump gas in Fuel
class than it did on the high octane Gas
I bought at the event.
My bad; shoulda had more advance dialed in.

suretogetflamed,
Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline DallasV

R+M=Octane?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 10:27:45 AM »
Rick,

Go here, http://www.ercracingfuels.com/ercCustomBlending.htm

This is the ERC website. All specs for all gasses run at Bonneville are listed. There is also contact information on the website. Rick Gold is a really cool guy and I am sure if you have any questions he will be happy to answer them for you.

Dallas
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

JohnR

R+M=Octane?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 12:37:22 PM »
At Bonneville, ERC is usually there so that is the event fuel. At El Mirage there is usually not an event fuel and you can run what ya brung. However, it will be tested according to the rule book if you end up in impound.

Offline Bob Drury

R+M=Octane?
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 02:52:40 PM »
Rick, just to clarify, you don't have to run the "event gas", unless you are qualifing for a record, or backing it up.  If you are just making laps, bring your own if you like..................
Bob Drury

Offline RICK

R+M=Octane?
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 05:31:54 PM »
I just surfed thru ERC's site. I don't think I'm smart enough to grasp the theory behind the 'BOMB CALORIMETER'. They list a bunch of cool stuff, but I didn't notice a Dielectric Constant [D.C.] spec. They did list 8 different, 4 leaded, 4 unleaded, gasolines. But I still can't figure out which one is 'event'

Still looking for help.

Thanks  Rick

landracing

R+M=Octane?
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 05:46:12 PM »
I believe that ERC110 is the "event gas"

Jon

JohnR

R+M=Octane?
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 05:51:50 PM »
I may be wrong, but all of them are the "event gas". ERC shows up with it's truck and any gasoline they sell qualifies as event gas. They pump it then seal your tank. At least thats what I have done in the past.

Offline DallasV

R+M=Octane?
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 06:14:13 PM »
For event gas I know they use the 110k & A-8C & A-19. The different blends are for wether you're running naturally asperated, blown, turbo, comp ratio, etc...
Rick and Les are pretty good at letting you know what is the best gas for your setup if you ask.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
R+M=Octane?
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 01:54:38 PM »
Hey Rick
I use the 110 in my high compression busa, I use the A8C in the turbo motors, and the MULA in the unleaded 2 stroke motor. good stuff. I get a small drum of each and use for dyno testing and buy fresh at the salt so we dont have to transport a bomb
Kent

Elon

R+M=Octane?
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 02:55:43 AM »
Rick is very easy to talk to and shows a keen interest in your combination.  If you tell him your compression ratio and expected HP he can give you the exact mix to do the job.  He will mix custom blends for you and bring them to the event for you. I don't know about legality though but Rick will tell you if the specific gravity is legal. -Elon

dwarner

R+M=Octane?
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 09:30:50 AM »
John is correct with his comment about 'event' gasoline. Any of the blends that Rick sells qualify as the event gasoline.
You must show up at the fuel truck with an empty tank. They will sell you the amount you need and seal the tank. The seal must be in place when you arrive in impound. If extra gas is needed for the second half of the record attempt it can be added from a sealed container under supervision of an impound person.

DW

Offline RICK

octane answered
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 10:41:02 PM »
Thanks for the replys, I think I got it figured out now. I talked to someone at ERC [not Rick Gold, but can't remember his name] and he explained that they bring 6 or 8 blends, from 101 to 119 R+M/2. I was worried that there was only one blend, and it was 87 octane. Now I can put some dome on the piston with no worries!

Thanks again,,,   Rick

Offline panic

• My tech papers
R+M=Octane?
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 09:19:40 AM »
Today's humor:
"You must show up at the fuel truck with an empty tank. They will sell you the amount you need and seal the tank. The seal must be in place when you arrive in impound."

How many ways are there to bypass this rule?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
octane
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 09:36:42 AM »
I suppose there are ways to bypass the sealed-tank rule, and I suppose that some folks may have tried.

But if I remember correctly, those fuel sample bottles that I have seen in the inspector's trailer add a layer of further protection from those who would try to subvert the rule.  And don't you be thinking that the fluids in the trailers are from the inspectors -- there's a porta-potty within 100 feet.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com