Author Topic: HELP - Shaving a motorcycle tyre?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Flylow

• New folks
HELP - Shaving a motorcycle tyre?
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:31:33 PM »
I am running a 20 x 3.50  inch diameter REAR tyre.  I have only been able to find one such tyre (from Vintage Tyre in the UK).  It is a road tyre rated at 130 mph.  Unfortunately, it has large blocks of rubber/tread.  I want to shave it down and remove about 2/3 of the thickness of thread blocks.  Does anyone know of a company that can do this or a recommend way of how-to yourself?  I have tried all the obvious places such as local (Reno) vulcanizing and other similar shops.  No one wants to touch a motorcycle tyre - car tyres no problem!

Note:  I ran the bike on a dyno this weekend and the heat buildup disintegrated the tyre.  Thick blocks of rubber retains a large amount of heat.

Thanks Kurt

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: HELP - Shaving a motorcycle tyre?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 12:04:55 AM »
Kurt -- where are you?  Your posts sort of implies you're in the western part of the US - but giving us a better idea will let us know whom we might recommend.

In the meantime, we can highly recommend Nate Jones Tire Company in the Los Angeles, CA area.  He's a top-notch vendor of racing tires for both cars and bikes, and does shave tires regularly on his own machine.  You can find contact information in the SCTA rulebook -- or probably online, too.  He often is at events here at Bonneville, but I haven't seen him so far this week.  Whatever -- get in touch with Nate.  Tell him that you got sent to him by landracing.com and Seldom Seen Slim.  That'll probably raise your prices by about 30%, but what the heck -- who said racing is cheap?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Flylow

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 12:39:51 AM »
Kurt -- where are you?  Your posts sort of implies you're in the western part of the US - but giving us a better idea will let us know whom we might recommend.

In the meantime, we can highly recommend Nate Jones Tire Company in the Los Angeles, CA area.  He's a top-notch vendor of racing tires for both cars and bikes, and does shave tires regularly on his own machine.  You can find contact information in the SCTA rulebook -- or probably online, too.  He often is at events here at Bonneville, but I haven't seen him so far this week.  Whatever -- get in touch with Nate.  Tell him that you got sent to him by landracing.com and Seldom Seen Slim.  That'll probably raise your prices by about 30%, but what the heck -- who said racing is cheap?

Hello Seldom Seen Slim.  Thank you.  I will be sure to mention your name to Nate.  I hope that I get a chance to help you in the same fashion - price adder will probably be in the 50% range though.  Note:  I am in Reno.
Thanks Kurt

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 10:49:41 AM »
There are lots of folks world-wide on this Forum. Reno, Nevada, right?  I'm not trying to be too silly here -- just letting you know how far and wide this thing goes. . .  Let 'em know the full details. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com