Author Topic: welding a roll cage  (Read 24008 times)

Offline Fheckro

welding a roll cage
« on: August 12, 2010, 07:04:29 PM »
Is MIG ok for a roll cage? :-D

I on the verg !
9479 Monza C/CGC
Current record Holder @ 180.000

Offline jimmy six

Re: welding a roll cage
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 01:12:53 AM »
If it wasn't a lot of cars would not pass tech...................
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 05:54:52 AM »
Just be sure it's not a 120V mig and the operator is fully experienced. A roll cage isn't the place to learn mig welding as a mig weld can look good and not have proper penetration. If your welder is at least a 220V and you have enough experience to know that your welds are sound have at it. For many the building process is the best part. :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 07:16:48 AM »
It depends mostly on material. Most NASCAR roll cages are made of 1020 and 1026 mild steel and are mig welded. For Cr-Mo 4103 roll cages mig is not the prefered way. Tig is much better suited for 4130.
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 08:23:15 AM »
Take a couple of scrap pieces weld them together and cut the weld apart and check penetration.

Offline Fheckro

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 05:04:38 PM »
Thanks. I have been welding for a long time,  just never a roll cage that will be subject to tech inspection. I figured it's better to ask up front.
I do enjoy "the build" almost as much as the speed and want to do the best job I can. I will not compromise my safety :cheers:

Fred

Also...The car is a unibody design (Chevy Monza), In the SCTA rules it states that for unitized construction the support bars shall have a 1/4in thick support pad on top and bottom of the floor ( in a sandwich construction). That is all good but I also have frame connectors that are 2in square 3/16 wall tube and are right up against the floor. I would like to work them into the equation. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 05:20:18 PM by Fheckro »
9479 Monza C/CGC
Current record Holder @ 180.000

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
Take a couple of scrap pieces weld them together and cut the weld apart and check penetration.

That will show whether or not the weld is getting sufficient fusion but unless it is polished, etched, and inspected under a microscope it tells nothing of the microstructure that determines how tough or brittle the weld is.
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 07:55:03 PM »
Fred, probably the best approach is to talk to the appropriate tech people in the organization with which you plan to run. An e-mail or a phone call to those people is probably a lot more valuable than the speculation you will get from here, although the speculation is probably a lot more entertaining. :-D :-D :-D

Pete

saltfever

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 03:03:08 AM »
. . .  In the SCTA rules it states that for unitized construction the support bars shall have a 1/4in thick support pad on top and bottom of the floor (in a sandwich construction).
There is some confusion in the rule book about this. I think they are referring to bolted-in base plates and not welded base plates. The pictures show two cages that passed inspection at Speed Week. They had no additional plates welded-in under the floor. I know, because I looked for them. Contact "Kiwi" Steve Davies, chief car inspector. But wait till he has had time to decompress after Bonneville.  :-D Let us know what you find out.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 09:55:03 PM »
Lotta good advice here.

If your Mig or Tig welds look like pieces of DOO DOO a couple things might be wrong.

I.E., wrong setting on machine, bottle, etc. , ignorance,  old wire in case of MIG, particularly, wrong tungsten, wire and so forth. Most everybody knows a weldor with a good reputation nearby and some (hmm, maybe me, even) will weld for a bit of their favorite beverage . Seek them out. It's your a##, drivers!

Have on occasion done drag race tech and Bird-poo welds are cause for DQ in my eyes, even though the tubes are all dead plumb and perfectly fit. (Although sloppy fabrication usually goes with those kinda welds).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:57:05 PM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline tedgram

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 02:44:20 PM »

. . .  In the SCTA rules it states that for unitized construction the support bars shall have a 1/4in thick support pad on top and bottom of the floor (in a sandwich construction).
There is some confusion in the rule book about this. I think they are referring to bolted-in base plates and not welded base plates. The pictures show two cages that passed inspection at Speed Week. They had no additional plates welded-in under the floor. I know, because I looked for them. Contact "Kiwi" Steve Davies, chief car inspector. But wait till he has had time to decompress after Bonneville.  :-D Let us know what you find out.

Correct, you only need bottom plates if bolted not if welded.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 11:55:13 AM »
I think that from a safety stand point welding 1/4 plate to .035 or .025 sheet metal is asking for problems. Look at the picture that Saltfever posted with the 1/4 plate welded in the middle of a big panel, to me this is very bad design. Any large loads that are subjected to this plate through the connected roll bar  will simple rip it off of the floor, tearing a nice 4x6 hole in the floor. My preference is to always make this type of connection at some place on the car which has an angle or some sort of shape that provides some structural strength to the car its self and if you can't find something then weld in a tube that does connect to some strong part of the car and connect to that. The connection in this picture does meet the letter of the rule, but it is still a poor (and dangerous) design. Also note the weld itself, the bead is approx 1/2 to 3/4 of the thickness of the 1/4 plate, this means that the welder held the heat against the 1/4 plate and allowed the puddle to touch the floor panel just enough to adhere to the floor and not burn a hole in it, probably not a good weld. Large and inconsistent weld beads only help to start the plate tearing from the floor.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 01:09:54 AM »
I won't name names, and my car hasn't passed tech yet, but I was told by an SCTA authority that "you want your body attached to the cage, not your cage attached to the body".

This was the solution we came up with.

Even in a convertable with the top removed, constructing a safe cage is tough.  I think Rex is spot on when he says that welding plate to sheet metal is problematic, and I was grateful for the SCTA official who pointed me in this direction.

An eight second cage in a fifteen second car.  

Contact them.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:14:09 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 02:11:19 AM »
The tool behind the cage is essential, especially with anything British!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Pete

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 04:12:39 AM »
An eight second cage in a fifteen second car.  

That's a good looking cage.

I'm not an engineer, and have a low level welding ticket.....so I haven't leapt in when people are discussing cages. But, I'll say now that some of the cages I have seen pictures of here are what I would describe as barely enough or proof that the builder or designer hadn't put a lot of thought into it.

Long unsupported sections, a lack of triangulation....and then as stated above anchor points on unbraced areas of the floor :-o :-o :-o :-o

As i said I'm not an engineer, but when weight isn't a huge penalty and most people have spent a lot on a motor what kind of dill skimps on some tube?????

Building a cage is a chance to brace the car, and save your own life....... it's not playground equipment.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.