Author Topic: record hot lapping....sure this isnt legal....but....  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

record hot lapping....sure this isnt legal....but....
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:52:56 AM »
Lets say you qualify on a 250mph record at 251 and set the record with a backup of 252 mph.

I would think it would be cool if a person could cert the record and put the vehicle back in impound (within an hour), with the record set and in hand, use the 252mph (record run) as the qualifying run for an attempt the next day to try and up the record you just set without having to run a second qualifying run and not loose the original record if you were to break, conditions were not good or just couldnt do it.

I feel it would have to be the same driver, and only one record would be awarded regardless of how many times a person 'hot lapped'.

Any thoughts good bad or other???

~JH

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:56:50 AM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline jl222

Re: record hot lapping....sure this isnt legal....but....
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 01:27:42 AM »

Were hot lapping now....In the past you had to make 3 passes, exceeding the record qualified the car to make two passes and I don't know if both record attempt runs had to exceed the old record or the average of both runs qualified.

JL222

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 01:38:40 AM »
Bonneville is rich in tradition. One thing I always admired about Bonneville was the endurance it took to set records. Like John said for (40?) years it took 3 passes to set a record, now it only takes two.  If anything I would love to see it go back to 3, but that will never happen.

Sorry, No would be my vote.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 09:19:21 AM »
JNuts, you can hot lap... just get back in line, run your 252 again and head back to impound.  The idea is not too new... that is close to the way it worked at the Bub until a few years ago except for the certification between runs...
to make it interesting, you should have to give up your first run, so no record... just keep the current qualifier and gamble that you go faster again the next day....  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 12:13:16 PM »
Nutz,

You can do whatever you wish.

However, each two runs comprises a record attempt. One qualifier and the backup for the average. To answer another question in this post. It is the average that determines if a record is set. The second run can be slower than current record.

My case in 2004: record 221, qualify at 232, backup at 219(driver talent involved here), record 226. Club minimum 230, I had to do it all over again for the hat qualifying on the 226 this time.

If you leave impound between attempts you lose the first run.

If you want to use each run as a qualifier call Mike Cook, that is allowed in FIA competiton.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 12:17:57 PM »
The runs have to be in the same mile on the same course. This will be covered in the drivers meeting on Saturday morning.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Crosley

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 01:25:23 PM »
Interesting stuff.   As a middle aged drag racer I am familiar with hot lapping.

As a spectator of land speed racing ,  I never thought of hot lapping a land speed car
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 08:39:32 PM »
toward the end of the week you can usually run as often as your car will allow...  Many times Glen has announced no waiting, no line, the starters are ready to start you... go to the race course.
We can only hot lap as long as we have cool water available....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O