Author Topic: A few questions from a new guy...  (Read 2944 times)

e3pres

A few questions from a new guy...
« on: July 29, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »
Hey guys,
      First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Adam Thomas. I recently graduated from college, and now that I finally have some steady income, I would really like to build a vehicle to take to the salt. I am an engineer so I have some technical knowledge, and I'm a long-time Corvette owner and I've done some pretty serious automotive work (engine/tranny swaps, suspension/steering/brake work, etc.). I like to think that I'm pretty realistic about my abilities and know that I cannot and probably should not attempt to build a car to run 200+. However, I am interested in building a small displacement truck to compete in the Modified Mid/Mini Pickup (M/MP) Class. I currently own an S-10 as a daily driver and I think a similar truck would make a good platform from which to start.
      I have purchased an SCTA rule book and everything in it seems fairly straightforward (I say that having not start building the truck yet  :D  ), but I do have a few questions.

First off, I would like to make sure that the roll cage bars can protrude from the top of the cab down into the bed. Also, if that is allowed, are 'sails' either required or allowed to cover the triangular area left by such bars (like what is seen in the NASCAR Craftsamn Truck Series)?

Secondly, I assume that the 'unaltered in height' requirement of the class applies to any chopping, channelling, sectioning, etc. of the body, not lowering. Is this correct? And if so, what lowering methods are allowed? Drop spindles, cut springs, blocks, etc.? Is notching of the frame allowed?

Thirdly, is the stock Hotchkiss style rear suspension (dual leaf springs) like is found on a Chevrolet S-10 stable at high speeds? If not, what is a popular, stable choice? Four link, truck arms, or other?

If you are still reading this, thanks for taking time to listen to a newb. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Adam

landracing

Re: A few questions from a new guy...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 02:42:00 AM »
Adam, '

Welcome to the board, although I cannot answer your questions, I am sure help is on its way. Dont be discuraged if no one answers this for a couple of weeks, it is crunch time for Bonneville and im sure most are in garages getting things ready.

Jonathan

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 11:51:00 AM »
Welcome. Here's some help. (I'll probably get ripped for all of these.) #1 Look at the pictures of the pickups in the 04 rule book and you will get the answer to the rear bar braces. #2 As you know this is not NASCAR and I haven't inspected any pick ups with the "triangle" spot filled in. This may be a good question for technical (Dan, Lee?) as this could make a truck more stable is case of a spin. #3 As stated in the M/MP rules they follow the rules of Gas Coupe (read carefully) The sentance starting "The following". The word "Stock" is important here. You are correct to assume the lowering of the "vehicle" is allowed. #4 The rear suspension is optional as is the rear end. (most use 9" Fords). Personally my Gas/Fuel roadster uses parallel leafs on the rear (I think it's the only one) with no problem over 215 however they are only 27" long.. The best thing to do is Go to Bonneville and take a lot of pictures an be there for Friday's inspection day. You will see many of what you want to do and it will also show what you may NOT want to do. Also pick up an inspection form to keep right with you while building your desired car/truck. Also 3 rule books will help. One on the table in front of the TV, one in bathroom, and one with you at work.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 09:57:00 PM »
Well Hey Bowling Green... I'm down in Southern Alabama... and I race a Modified sports car and an 80 Camaro... Actually a buddy is going to race the Camaro this year...

I've tried both leaf's and a high quality 4 bar and the 4 bar is better by FAR and AWAY... it simply allows you to do quality tuning that you could never do with a leaf spring.. and adjusting the pinion angle and instant center is a breeze...

My Modified sports just got a new trianulated 4 bar with a serious anti roll bar and coil overs... it's just a lovely set up... I went over a fair sized bump at Maxton and had 2.7" of travel in the rear end and didn't even notice it... so I know it works...

I love the Idea of you running a Mini Truck... I think the class is seriously over looked...

I also own a low milage 87 convertible vette... lots of fun... but I don't want to tell many folks I own it...

Keith Turk
 ECTA 200 Club, Muroc 200mph Club, Bonneville 200mph Club, Texas 200mph Club
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

e3pres

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 12:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Keith Turk:
   I'm down in Southern Alabama...
I won't hold that against you.  :p

Thanks for the info on the 4-link. I kinda figured it was a better way to go. I knew it would be if I were going drag racing, but this whole LSR thing is all new to me. I'm pretty excited about the mini-truck class too. I know that I don't have the budget to run in one of the more competitive classes, but it seems like a really good place to start.

Thanks again for the info...

Adam

Offline Stovebolt

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 06:37:00 AM »
Yo, KT you're missing one more 200 MPH club membership - DLRA  ;)
Its hard enough to be your age, let alone act it.