Author Topic: Battery dis-connect question  (Read 4068 times)

Offline brock Hollywood

Battery dis-connect question
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:31:40 PM »
Inside or outside of vehicle? outside makes more sense to me.

Offline bill78

• New folks
Re: Battery dis-connect question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »
On my car I had both.

Bill

Offline bill78

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:13:36 PM »
Let me clarify this a little bit. The one on the inside was within reach for the driver. The one on the outside was on the rear of the car for safety workers. If you run an alternator make sure the engine can't still run from the alternator with the battery disconnected.

Bill

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 09:14:24 PM »
BH;

On my car that I'm building I have an outside switch (Moroso) that disconnects the battery. Inside I have a toggle switch that controls two big relays; this is my "master shutoff" for the entire electrical system. In the photo it is just to the right of the round button (starter). I have a red cover on it that can be snapped down with a gloved hand in an emergency.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 10:16:28 PM »
Inside or outside of vehicle? outside makes more sense to me.

don't forget this ain't drag racing and sometimes it can take a while for the emergency crew to reach you...
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline brock Hollywood

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 10:52:20 AM »
thanks for the input. If I only have one in the cockpit and clearly mark it, will that pass tech?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 12:32:38 PM »
Regardless of whether it passes tech or not, ask yourself "Can rescue workers find it if you are upside down?"

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 01:13:44 PM »
The idea behind the master switch is when rescue workers roll up on you and hear pumps running they don't know if they are fuel or water pumps. All electricity should be off so that the the first response people can do their job, save you from harm.

There was a car a few years ago that burst into flames when it was rolled upright. The switch was off but later discovered that it did not do the proper job of shutting down the electrical circuits.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline brock Hollywood

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 03:54:49 PM »
ok, im installing one on the outside as well. thanks for the info

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 12:27:58 AM »
I believe there are decals at the inspection trailer that have a place you can write where your disconnect is located.  My battery is in front of the engine in my roadster and the disconnect handle is on the left hood panel. There is a note on the cockpit area denoting where it is located. IMO those driving enclosed vehicles with a disconnect inside should have a note on each side window denoting it's location and arrows somewhere inside poiting to it.

Most drag race vehicles have them in the rear for specific reasons. Since we have so many different verities of vehicles that probably would not work. I would not want to put 20 feet of cable to place the disconnect on the rear of my car.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 08:56:35 AM »
I've been thinking about mounting the battery kill switch by the batteries (fwd of the engine) and running a Morse cable (push/pull cable for boat steering) to the back of the car.

I figured on setting it up as push to turn off.

The idea of tying in a remote to the cockpit hadn't occured to me, thank you all for bringing it up.

At the moment a reverse pinball launcher arangement (where you are pushing against the spring) that could contact the arm on the switch itself to turn it off as you push.

Just thought of it though, so maybe I can do better after some Cogitation.
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik