Author Topic: Implement Tyres (Tires)  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Implement Tyres (Tires)
« on: November 21, 2005, 11:06:11 PM »
Hey U.S. Lakesters.

I need some help regarding front tyres.

We are building a Belly Tank in Australia for racing at Lake Gairdner.

We have been building for 2 years and are trying to maintain the traditional look and have been fairly successful thus far (see avatar).

What we are looking for are front tyres that look like the implement tyres of old (straight tread pattern.) At present we have Goodyear Eagles 28inch on the rear and Mickey Thompson 26inch front runners on the front, but I think they just don't look right...

Any help as to land speed racing legal front tyres that have this look, in the order of 24 to 26inch diameter would be greatly appreciated.

Yours from down under,

Reverend H+

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Show or Go
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 12:27:57 PM »
The tractor type you describe were popular in the early days because they were strong and the tread seemed to offer the least rolling resistance. Remember they were going a lot slower then and the tires were not stressed as they are today. The unsupported rubber in the tread will fail at the speeds they are running now.
Modern M + H fronts will take the speed and with a narrower profile will look more original.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Reverend Hedgash

M and H tires
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 06:03:59 PM »
Thanks Jack

I checked their website and they seem to be the closest thing thus far...

Thanks for the tip.

Rev. H

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Did I say that ?
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 06:44:52 PM »
The other company you mentioned makes a Super Stock front tire that is a classic shape and a Good Rear.
What kind of power are you running and how fast have you told everybody you were going to go ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Reverend Hedgash

power
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 06:11:42 PM »
we are running a BuickV6 next year  and just hoping to be complete enough to be there for a run.

Building the car with a wish top speed in the order of 200mph.

Lake Gairdner is very smooth and flat compared to Bonneville.

Rev. H

ps thanks again for the tip, I shall check it out now.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
The buick V-6
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 06:39:15 PM »
Is a very good motor to develop and lots of parts are availavle for a lot of HP.
I only used the Stage 2 stuff but the assenbly can ramp up with the budget to really be a good package.
I will be interested to follow your project. You are making a good start.
Jack