Author Topic: 130/150 Club Motorcycle Choices - For Father/Son Team  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
130/150 Club Motorcycle Choices - For Father/Son Team
« on: August 21, 2010, 12:01:01 PM »
I would like to get a few ideas on which motorcycles would be good choices for my father and I to join the 130MPH and 150MPH Clubs.  My dad just turned 50 and I am 27.  I only have a few years of street riding experience and I'm pretty sure my dad hasn't had much riding since I was born, if any.  Like everyone else, I'm looking for the bang for buck here, low cost and target speed output.  I was thinking about an older Yamaha or Triumph sport bike.  I would probably buy it and ride it on the street to get a feel for it, race it, then possibly sell it.

Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline firemanjim

Re: 130/150 Club Motorcycle Choices - For Father/Son Team
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 01:57:10 PM »
Triumph good bike but not as powerful as any of the japanese offerings in similar size--had one and loved it as a street bike. Any of the liter bikes--1000cc-- would do so fairly easily,esp 130 club. Probably in 3rd gear. Get one that is fuel injected so altitude won't affect it as much and you won't be re-jetting 4 carbs!
Just remember the 150 club rules require just as much prep as running for a record so read the rulebook! And remember to have "all cow" leathers for the SCTA.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Ole Don

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 02:56:59 PM »
  If you and Pop both run the bike, dont plan on selling it. I ran the 130 two years in a row in an old Ford, the grin takes weeks to wear off. I plan on being there again. Hope to meet you. 

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 03:56:10 PM »
I reason I say that I'd probably sell it, is that I would most likely move on to something better suited for myself doing record runs later on.  I just wanted this to be a father and son, or sons, fun trip(s).  Of course, I would try to drag my friends out to do it too.  I have liked Triumphs since I was born, and have owned a newer Trumpet crusier.  That is where I would like to head to, but a Yamaha or Honda might be welcome too.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 03:59:30 PM by Calkins »
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA