Author Topic: Seat rule if running in open class  (Read 7717 times)

Offline nrhs sales

Seat rule if running in open class
« on: August 02, 2010, 03:34:41 PM »
If you are planning on attending Bubs and running in open class (not partial streamlined) make sure you read the addendum to the seat rule:

Any aerodynamic aid at the rear of the motorcycle (including the riders seat section), shall not extend past the most rearward edge of the rear tire, shall not be higher than 4 inches above the lowest section of the seat base, nor extend below the seat base by more than 1 inch.

It is going to make about 75% of all bikes illegal  by the way they are interpreting this rule.  basically almost all bikes with a stock seat will be considered illegal under this rule as they are measuring from the bottom of the seat (not where you sit but the literal bottom of the seat at its lowest point) to the top of your tail section and almost all bikes nowadays have an angle to their seat or the passengers section sits higher.  My Buell Blast with a stock seat and tail section is illegal under this rule.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:03:28 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline joea

Re: Seat rule if running in open class
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:59:55 PM »
thanks for update...

Joe :)

Offline mike mendoza

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
good old days   open bike is   open     was that for mod. and alt? went to ElMO didn't conform . not seat worked

Offline Chaulkdust

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:53:33 PM »
Yep - that's definitely a bummer. Why 4" and not 5" or 6" or 3"- wonder who fabricated this beast? Looks like I'll be at BUB with a piece of wood and some padding not to exceed 4". My nice seat at, 5" will be in Michigan, I'm not cutting it up. I saw that rule earlier, but wasn't quite sure what they meant bu "Open Class"? Since I'll be running in M/BG I guess it does apply to me as well (No Streamlining). Thanks for making me look at this again!

Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 08:24:52 PM »
The big issue here that I can see is what is "an aerodynamic aid"  I can see that meaning a big tall seat hump behind the riders butt but to say you cannot have anything that is 4" higher then the lowest part of your seat is basically saying on most bikes you will have to remove your seat and tail section and sit on top of your battery, electronics, etc,that are normally covered by your seat and bodywork.

When they have a rider severely burned by an electric short I can just imagine the uproar that is going to happen. I just hope the AMA can fix this before the event happens in less than a month.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 09:02:04 PM »
I am glad I don't have to worry about that problem any longer...the fine folks at Bub are doing the best job they can however who is making up the AMA rules?

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:06:54 PM »
Went from this ... which did not comply to the letter of the law although I dont see much aero advantage but the rules are the rules

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »
To this ..... This should be in full compliance ...

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 10:03:54 PM »
Good question John.  The answer I keep getting to that question is they are trying to be the same as the FIM :?

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 11:02:09 PM »
F.ffing I.gnorant M.orons..

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 09:52:43 AM »
 :-D at John!!!

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 03:24:47 PM »
better photo of seat/fender

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 04:58:37 PM »
 I have learned that the AMA is working on this issue as i think they did not realize the implications so hopefully it will not be a problem come next month.

But I do recommend folks be prepared with a different seat or tail section just in case if you think your bike might not pass tech.

Offline Chaulkdust

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 06:45:33 PM »
Only 25 Days till Tech at BUB. Hope they get some word out soon, will save some extra work for the racers.
Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline motomocean

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 04:24:11 PM »
I broached this subject on July 10 in the rules section and sent a photo of my seat from airtech to Drew Gatewood AMA Tech Inspector. He responded that the seat that i had was ineligible to compete in the open class. Remember its not so much how you punch through the air, as much as it is how clean you have that air flow leaving the bike, i.e. burbling and eddy currents create drag. I think the AMA's premise is that a clean airflow over the rear is an aerodynamic aid that may be caused by the height of the seat bubble.

P.S. I was verrrrry aggravated with his response but changed out the seat, may run PS class next year