Author Topic: Loring sound system  (Read 3920 times)

Offline 72tx340

• Hooked on speed
Loring sound system
« on: August 07, 2010, 10:17:30 PM »
This was a great idea and addition many thanks to the person who thought this up!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:55:48 AM by 72tx340 »

Offline Rick Byrnes

Re: Loring Land speed runs dvd is now available
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 11:10:51 PM »
You advertised it twice here.
You had best pledge a donation to the site.

There aint no such thing as a free lunch.

Rick

Offline 55chevr

Re: Loring sound system
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:36:10 AM »
The sound system is a knock off of the ECTA system. Joe Timney designed mounting stands to hold a car CB radio, antenna, PA speaker and a fire exit light battery for Maxton. I had already built one for my use at Maxton and thought it would work at Loring. Bob Wanner purchased the equipment and I made another 3 mounts. It worked great once we got everything tuned. (back and forth 4 times). Next year I will add a few more.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 09:42:34 AM »
This is what they look like ....

Offline tedgram

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:00:02 AM »
  A larger system would be nice.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 10:00:53 AM »
Joe,

Nice Gween Gwass  in your back yard... LOL
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:49:39 AM »
I am investigating more powerful speakers ... powering them with a small generator ... Joe

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 12:09:40 PM »
For a sound system for everyone around us:  The CB in our truck has not only the built-in speaker (near the ceiling in the rear seat of the cab, but a hard-wired speaker, on a magnet mount, in the rear of the bed.  There's a speaker-selection switch on the dashboard near the driver.  That switch allows choosing between the various loudspeakers.  When we're in staging, for instance, I use the magnet one in the back and attach it to the outside of the body, and turn up the volume so those around us can hear the CB if they want to do so.  Sharing the CB like this is pretty common in the moving lines - and you'll often see folks gathering around the speaker during runs.

It's not practical to have enough stationary-mounted radios to give audio coverage all along the lines, and that's why I came up with the present system.

Let's see -- it's ten years this year for us and I'm getting things more and more "just right" for our racing adventures.  I wonder if I'll ever get EVERYTHING set up perfect?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 12:24:54 PM »
At Bonneville and El Mirage we have a low power radio station so the racers and spectators can hear the speeds.
This is AM / FM depending on the venue. We also still use the CB to announce and talk to the crews along the course. Every entrant is required to have a CB in their push truck. As the lakes and the salt are vast areas we need the direct contact with the crews. All official business is done by FM hand helds on select channels for this purpose.  It would require many miles of with and a lot of speakers to cover the events.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 12:52:58 PM »
CB signal is ok for Loring ... the spectators. pits and staging lanes are maybe a 1/4 apart ... What we need is more power out of the speaker system ... Either stronger speakers or more CB setups .... the announcer was set up near the starting line where he could identify the ride ... (as in "Studebaker on the course") ... He had to listen on the FM track frequency and then broadcast on the CB ... he caught on quick. He is very experienced as he is the track announcer for Spud Speedway in Caribou ... Joe

Offline legend6me

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 03:10:03 PM »
I had CB Ch 1 programmed into my scanner, but I know that there are other frequencies being used for race control, emergency, etc.  Could somebody collect them and post them for next year?  I like to be able to follow along.

Offline tedgram

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 03:54:34 PM »

I had CB Ch 1 programmed into my scanner, but I know that there are other frequencies being used for race control, emergency, etc.  Could somebody collect them and post them for next year?  I like to be able to follow along.

That would be a good Idea! Would be nice for those that are waiting in line to run.

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »
The public does not  :evil:need to hear what we are saying...we could go to jail!!!
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Nosgsx1300

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 08:22:49 PM »
A suggestion

the PA was Awsome
maybe put one back by the porta potty so people can hear while in line wating to run
also the staging vehicle often drowned out the run speed
But still a fantastic idea

Offline half-fast

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 02:31:36 PM »
Much like SSS describes I usually plug an external speaker into a reciever and zip-tie the speaker to the headache rack on the truck,,,however the course/race/FD/PD/EMS etc audio is definetely not the audio to 'broadcast' on this speaker, Channel 1 worked good this year I thaught.