Author Topic: Midwest LSR Venue?  (Read 13836 times)

Offline Rick Byrnes

Re: Midwest LSR Venue?
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2010, 02:45:43 PM »

I think the problem with the experience in 08 was that an "EVENT" was not supposed to happen.
The airport manager expected a dealer with "several" of his customers to show up.
They had 20 to 25 cars, most of which were running well over 150 MPH with virtually NO safety gear.
Fastest speed of the meet was a modified Ford GT that if I remember correctly went 211 MPH.
A bunch of Mustangs, Corvettes, etc etc that were going close to the 200 Mark.

He got blind sided, and really pissed off.  I'm sure the "dealer" had no liability insurance. 
It had become a big deal when it should have been 3 or 4 guys testing.

George, don't hesitate to PM me.
I'm not sure what more I can say except I would love to test the liner there but don't look to be able to afford the price of admission.

Rick

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2010, 04:04:31 PM »
I think key to convincing any facility operator to something like this would be to put forth a proposal by an organization that included the issues of liability, that spelled out the rules that we'd adhere to, that showed respect for the facility and the neighboring community, and had a clear plan as to how the event was to be run. 

A conversation with the operator as to what went wrong at the last event, and insuring his input at the planning stages, along with keeping him advised about any proposed changes would likely help assuage fears and doubts.

We'd also need to worry about the neighbors coming out with torches and pitchforks, and any bad blood that such an event might cause the operator of the facility.  Let's face it, we'd be there for a weekend - he'll have to see these people every day down at the Seven-Eleven.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Worlds Fastest Comanche

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2010, 04:32:46 PM »

I talked to Gary Kell who is in charge of airport operations at Oscoda Township, Michigan.   He says we are not the first people to ask, and the issue has been brought before the town board, but in the end it was voted down.      The airport is available for Vehicle testing but that is usually 1 or 2 at a time.   they also have restrictions on the use of grassy areas because of the possibility of unexploded ordinance!   

So it looks like we have to keep looking.   
Peter Lechtanski
The Worlds Fastest Comanche Project

Offline geezer1

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2010, 08:36:19 AM »
I had a phone call from Gary yesterday - Wurthsmith isn't going to work out. Still hoping to find a venue in the midwest.

Thanks for your efforts.

Geo Turner
Geezer Racing
Geezer Racing - (Turner/Herr/Mclellan/Acton/Pranger/Acton/Acton /McDonald/Hascall/Patul)
Trever is in at over 210!!!!!(17 yrs. old) Kyle is in at over 212!!!!! (16 yrs' old)
2 Wins in the Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge in Super Street 2014-2015
5 Different Geezer Drivers set records at Maxton, Loring, and Ohio
We also had the honor to have the fastest Innkeeper in Wilmington Ohio in the Geezer Express
Thank you ECTA and our great LSR Friends! Press On Regardless!!

Offline Worlds Fastest Comanche

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2011, 05:02:55 PM »

I was at Maxton last weekend, and as most of you probably know, the ECTA lost their lease and is actively  looking for a new Venue.  I had some conversations about it, and many options are being investigated.   They include the shuttle landing facility, airbases and airports.    A big concern in dealing with the military is that you are subject the the whims of whoever the base commander is at a given moment in time. you also have security issues of allowing people onto an active military base.   

I talked to Joe Timmey this morning, He says that they are still looking, and may end up with more than one venue, but nothing yet. 

I did have a thought, the GM proving grounds in Michigan has about a 3 mile straight   ( GPS location 42.583603°N 83.684449°W)    Anybody know sombody at GM who might be able to pull some strings and get the use of the facility a couple of weekends a year?   

Just a thought

Peter Lechtanski
The Worlds Fastest Comanche Project