Author Topic: Midwest LSR Venue?  (Read 13839 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Midwest LSR Venue?
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2010, 10:00:59 PM »
The aerial map indicates that it's close to residential properties.  Probably require some PR work regarding noise with the neighbors across the lake. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RICK

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2010, 10:38:58 PM »
My brother was just telling me last week about an airstrip in the KC area that closed and was being used to store trucks, containers, load rail cars??? or something like that. He is suppost to investigate and get back to me,,,,,,but you know how brothers are.

I'll post as soon as I find out,   RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline Worlds Fastest Comanche

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
Hello,
I'm jumping into this thread late. Has any group approached the local gov't unit about renting Wurtsmith Air Force base in Michigan? There was a local that spoke of it being available on a daily basis (including Fire and Rescue) at an established rate. I emailed Joe Timney, asking about it and haven't had a reply yet. I have friends that ran a roofing business in the Alpena area. They have worked on the base over the years, and might be a door opener with the Oscoda zoning board. I don't want to take a run at it if someone was already told to forget it. Any feedback?

Thanks,

Geo Turner, Michigan

Looks like the feedback is that nobody has approached them.      Why don't you give it a shot and see what they say.
Peter Lechtanski
The Worlds Fastest Comanche Project

Offline RICK

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2010, 11:28:14 AM »
Richards-Gebaur,  It's 9000 with 1000 on each end for 'runoff'. South of Kansas City MO.  I'm on the other side of MO,  Rumor has it that they cut in rail road tracks to load Mexican trains? Is there any one around 'Belton" that could check this out better?

RICK

Offline jdincau

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2010, 11:52:14 AM »
Check Google maps, RR tracks both sides of the runway full length and semi trailers and containers parked full length aalso.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2010, 12:28:11 PM »
Information as of 2009.
Wurtsmith AFB is now owned by the local community.  It is an active but not FAA controlled airfield.
Kalitta Air controls a lot of the airfield as a maintainance base for 747 and I think DC10 aircraft.

The airstrip is for "rent" (ambulance service must be used)
Price was $1K per day until there was a VERY undiciplined meet conducted by a local Hot Rod/exotic car dealer.
The Airport manager was not happy and has raised the price to $2K per day.
I was there testing a Ginetta sports car that I spent 6 months building/coordinating.  The surface is smooth, and over 12000 feet in length.  We ran over the existing flying mile record in slightly more than a mile. (radar gun)

We may try to do some testing there next year, with another team, but really need a break on cost.

The plan for aircraft/race car interaction was, when an aircraft is flying in the pattern, we clear the strip.

Oh, Kallita Racing does test there.
Anyone know Connie?  I don't, and am not interested in running or coordinating an event there, although if an event were to happen, I will attend.  I'm having enough trouble finishing the liner, and having some kind of life with Glenys.  (happy life that is)

Rick

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2010, 12:47:42 PM »

2,000 A day?   well Maxton they usually get 50-75 cars on a normal weekend,   I think over 100 when they have the Top speed challenge.   So if you charged $100.00 per car like the ECTA,  and you only got 50 cars, that would put 5K into the Kitty.    So if you ran a 2 day event 4k goes to the airport,  Doesn't leave much for rental of timing equipment and other expenses.  Maybe a 1 day event to start might be a good idea, .  Looks like some sponsors are needed.

Maybe the way to do it would be to form a Club (Michigan timing Assoc? or Midwest timing assoc?)  The club dues would go towards timing equipment rental or purchase, and the entry fees cover the rental of the venue.

Peter Lechtanski

Offline geezer1

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2010, 06:06:20 PM »
I'm in - I've talked to my brother in law - (The pilot) We'll put together a trip up there to check it out. In the mean time I'll try to get an intro to the local board. Anyone with a way to communicate with Kalitta? I wish that we could confirm the $2,000.00 a day rate. We need paperwork. Anyone live near the track?
Thanks,  Geo Turner 
Geezer Racing - (Turner/Herr/Mclellan/Acton/Pranger/Acton/Acton /McDonald/Hascall/Patul)
Trever is in at over 210!!!!!(17 yrs. old) Kyle is in at over 212!!!!! (16 yrs' old)
2 Wins in the Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge in Super Street 2014-2015
5 Different Geezer Drivers set records at Maxton, Loring, and Ohio
We also had the honor to have the fastest Innkeeper in Wilmington Ohio in the Geezer Express
Thank you ECTA and our great LSR Friends! Press On Regardless!!

Offline oldracer19

• Plan B Racing
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2010, 06:09:57 PM »
I don't know Kalitta personally, but I do know that the folks I talked to there earlier this year were really very nice.  I was looking to see if I could beg or borrow a firesuit, and they went out of their way to try and see if they had one they could make available. It would be worthwhile for someone local to talk with them.
"because plan A never works"

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2010, 07:26:07 PM »
Call Oscoda chamber of commerce
Get phone number of the airport manager, and you go from there.
Kallita does not run the airstrip.  He rents space just like anyone else. (Maybe or maybe not)  there is a whole shitload of 747'sup there and the airline business is booming now.

I suppose Kallita bould be could be very helpful though, if presented with the possibility of scheduled sanctioned events.

All business was conducted with the airport manager whose name I do not remember.

After the fiasco in 2008 It would be best to approach him/them showing the most amount of discipline, as is practiced at sanctioned LSR events and continually pointing out the range of these disciplines that are practiced by SCTA and ECTA.  (safety, rules, rescue, etc etc.
AND the desire to have a long term relationship.  The original exposure they had with going fast, is a harsh memory.  Nothing bad happened, no one crashed, etc etc, but they saw a total lack of organization and discipline that they (airport management)(FAA) are used to.

One potential problem is timing of an event.  The summertime tourist season begins in mid Jun, till labour day.  There are a number of hotels and restraunts, but will be very busy.  Even with the present condition of the economy.  Facilities are adequate for several hundred racers if held "off season".  It could be win win for everyone

Going thru the chamber of commerce, and armed with numbers of racers and spectators drawn to the Lorirng event may help the cause.  I'll bet there is a wealth of information available from the two years in Maine or the many years of Laurenburg/Maxton.
Convincing them that MONEY will be spent in their town is quite helpful.

Rick

Offline geezer1

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2010, 07:45:12 PM »
Thanks Rick. When we get set to go up there, I'll let you know. I think that i might have a Kalitta contact, as well as a local contact.  Do you have personal experience with the 2008 event that "fouled" the set up? 

Geo Turner
geezer49060@tds.net
Near kalamazoo
Geezer Racing - (Turner/Herr/Mclellan/Acton/Pranger/Acton/Acton /McDonald/Hascall/Patul)
Trever is in at over 210!!!!!(17 yrs. old) Kyle is in at over 212!!!!! (16 yrs' old)
2 Wins in the Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge in Super Street 2014-2015
5 Different Geezer Drivers set records at Maxton, Loring, and Ohio
We also had the honor to have the fastest Innkeeper in Wilmington Ohio in the Geezer Express
Thank you ECTA and our great LSR Friends! Press On Regardless!!

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2010, 08:20:51 PM »
Richards-Gebaur,  It's 9000 with 1000 on each end for 'runoff'. South of Kansas City MO.  I'm on the other side of MO,  Rumor has it that they cut in rail road tracks to load Mexican trains? Is there any one around 'Belton" that could check this out better?

RICK
Rick I thought that they built a very large car auction barn on the north end of Richards-Gebaur.
I live about a 100 miles south of there when I get up that way I'll check it out.
Here is a web site I ran across looking for an old airport close to us. It has a list of abandon airports in the U.S.
http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/index.htm
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2010, 09:54:34 PM »

RICK
Rick I thought that they built a very large car auction barn on the north end of Richards-Gebaur.
I live about a 100 miles south of there when I get up that way I'll check it out.
Here is a web site I ran across looking for an old airport close to us. It has a list of abandon airports in the U.S.
http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/index.htm

That's a great link, Iam biased towards this spot but it is perfect as a track! Would everyone be willing to travel to eastern Montana?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=glasgow+airport+montana&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.701751,50.976562&ie=UTF8&hq=glasgow+airport&hnear=Montana&ll=48.420201,-106.526527&spn=0.048988,0.099564&t=h&z=13
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2010, 09:39:17 AM »

That's a great link, Iam biased towards this spot but it is perfect as a track! Would everyone be willing to travel to eastern Montana?

I don't think Montana is generally considered Midwest, but the general idea of the thread was to see if other venues could be developed around the country, I am in the Midwest so i have a selfish interest in having a venue closer than 1,000 miles to me.   Additional Venues will only serve to advance the sport, but finding a place is only the first step.  Putting together a group of people willing to volunteer their time to put on the event is the second challenge, then the third challenge is coming up with enough money for the first event. 

Peter Lechtanski

Offline RICK

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2010, 10:13:41 AM »
I can't believe you beat me to that "Montana not in the midwest", comment.  It's probally cause my computer is just too old and slow. [ I think it's got a tube going bad and the fan belt's loose]
  The whole idea of a Midwest event is to bring some convenience to Land Speed Racing. So I googled population center of US, and came up with Edgar Springs Missouri.  Now if we could just get them to close highway 63 between Edgar Springs and Licking MO for the weekend,, there is a dead straight 8 or 9 miles of fresh pavement.

Lookin for gas money, RICK