Author Topic: Midwest LSR Venue?  (Read 13838 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Midwest LSR Venue?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 03:17:39 PM »
That Freeway thing is clever -- I wonder if it would work on the 405?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

LittleLiner

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 03:34:22 PM »
After every election some politician talks about closing Scott AFB. But it would
 still be 20-30 years before they would let us on the place.
      Frustrated in the mid-west,  RICK
My work took me to Scott about 15 years ago.  It is two airports side by side connected by about a mile of taxiway.  The eastern one is referred to as "MidAmerica" and has a runway of 10,000 that could work for a one mile LSR meet.  The ScottAFB side has 8000 with a long overrun but is a bit short on shutdown distance for running cars over 200 for a mile.  I suspect the Scott side has more security requirements and access for participants, spectators and others might be sticky. 

Apparently dreams of making Mid America into the second major airport for St Louis never panned out, at least not yet..  At this point there is nothing resembling passenger service.  Their web site talks up the cargo capability and the ability to accept perishable cargo (flowers, fruit etc).  It might be possible to get the local interests in doing something akin to the Loring event on the MidAmerican side.  Might be possible for the right group to develop a combination of events that would include an LSR meet along with other activities (think Air Show, Carnival, Concert etc.). 

One of the keys to running one of these programs is having the cooperation and participation of an existing LSR group like ECTA or USFRA, or SCTA to help with setting up and running the event.  Finding a piece of pavement that works is only the first step . . . . .

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 04:49:06 PM »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Worlds Fastest Comanche

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »
Looking at Google Earth, it seems like there is almost nothing there.   It is only 30 miles from Downtown ST Louis so maybe you coulds get some spectators.
Peter Lechtanski
The Worlds Fastest Comanche Project

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 08:39:32 PM »

Anybody have any idea how many entries you could get?   Probablly go with the same classes and rules as the ECTA.  Real Street and no fire suit for some speeds and classes would get more entries.  Speed week gets 500, Ecta gets between 50 to 100 or more, Im not sure whar El Mirage gets.
Peter Lechtanski

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 06:12:22 AM »
sMid America Airport has been trying to attract commercial aviation since the 90-s with out any real success. They continue to pursue the venture and I doubt they would consent to anything. Additionally, the FAA can be a real obstacle when using active air fields for anything other then aviation.

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2010, 12:54:40 PM »
I thought i read about LSR trials at Edwards AFB.  I guess they did not have to worry about the FAA, just the Military.  Since (911 i guess they no longer do it, but if they could do it at Edwards, maybe yo can do ir someplace else.  

Hey since they are not going to be flying the Shuttle much longer, what about that strip they built in florida?   (Dodge, that's east coast!)
3 miles long, but probably no return road   here is a link  http://www.floridatoday.com/article/99999999/NEWS09/60227008/Shuttle-Landing-Facility

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 05:06:01 PM by Worlds Fastest Comanche »
Peter Lechtanski

Offline o2man98

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 05:58:20 PM »
KI Sawyer AFB in the UP was over 12000ft plus overruns. 150ft wide plus 75ft paved shoulders so 300ft wide.

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._I._Sawyer_Air_Force_Base

Offline Geo

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 07:09:47 PM »
Hey that looks good! 

KI Sawyer AFB

And it's in Slims backyard!  :cheers:

Geo

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 07:13:57 PM »
I can see it now, Slim's snow plow LSR event. :-D
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 07:21:21 PM »
Ah, gentlemen, I'm sorry to let you know that there's no way it'll happen.  And believe me, I've tried.  First of all -- KI was transferred to the county of Marquette upon the Air Force's departure - so the county airport could move to the place.  And even before the change took place - during a few year hiatus -- neither the county sheriff nor I nor anyone else could convince the FAA to close the runway to traffic so we could go out there to play around.  (The sheriff rides -- has even taken a spin on my old CBR1100XX).  I think, by the way, that the strip used to be even longer than 12,000 -- 14,300 sounds more like it.  When the county took over they elected to shorten it - I think.  Maybe it was 14,300 counting the scrubby jackpine forest at either end, yeah, I think that's probably the story.

The airport is doing okay, thank you very much.  Nancy and I fly out and into it regularly.  It's fine -- because if nothing else, you know the pilot has about twice as much runway as he needs to land and take off. . .  And by the way, it is a big airport -- fwe have (ready for this?)  TWO gates.  Not just one, like those small out-in-the sticks airports, nah -- we've got both Gate 1 AND Gate 2!

And for you, Glen -- the next airport up the road is in Houghton-Hancock (where Walt (116cihemi) and I go to/went to college.  That runway is still used by the government's cold weather research people for snowplow testing, among other things.  You wanna see fancy snow removal equipment?  Go to the copper Country (that's what the area is called) and watch.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 07:26:43 PM »
I doubt that will work out ... Marquette is an active commercial airport with daily air service from American Eagle and Delta. Eagle has an overhaul base on the airport for Embriar commuter jets.

Joe

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2010, 07:49:25 PM »
Yes - It would be very cool to have someplace here in the mid portion of the country.  Coming from the Chicago area its a about 900 mi to Maxton and about 1500mi to the salt, one way.  Ether way with fuel costs and travel exp. it can get a bit costly for the privateer who just wants to run WFO and see what number he can beat.  Wayyy too much traffic now a days on all the so called express ways and toll ways to even think about the good old days of getting out at early sunrise morning for a test run or two on the Interstate Hwy. Aint happenin anymore.
Yep ! Another LSR venue here in the heart of this great Country of ours would be just peachy -

Have fun - Stay happy and healthy    :cheers:
Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline RansomT

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 11:20:25 AM »
I've been looking in the KY and TN valley area for years for something that could serve as a venue.  The airports are basically out because a long run way here is 5000'. Most of the retired air strips are "sod" and I don't think there is 2 mile straight section of pavement in either state.

I would be "all over" something potential that would be closer than the 550 miles to Maxton or 1200 miles to Texas or 1350 miles to Maine or 1800 miles to Bonneville.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 02:59:01 PM »
There's a beautiful stretch of Michigan Highway M-28 - between Seney and Shingleton, in the Upper Peninsula.  Take a look at a map -- it's dead straight and flat two-lane road for 23 miles!!!!  Unfortunately I ewxpect the police and state and federal parks people would take a dim view of closing it off for racing.  That -- and the wildlife that's all over the place, coming out of the woods that are often within fifty feet of the pavement -- I guess those are reasons we won't race there.

The little obstacles (trees, critters, etc) don't stop many drivers from seeing how fast they dare go on the "Seney Stretch", as it's called.  As you can imagine, it's very heavily patrolled during the weeks at the end of college semesters up here, as well as during the big tourist seasons.

But geez, 23 miles. . .

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Shingleton&1s=MI&1y=US&1l=46.348301&1g=-86.470001&1v=CITY&2c=Seney&2s=MI&2y=US&2l=46.3456&2g=-85.945297&2v=CITY
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com