Author Topic: Does this exist???  (Read 3964 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Does this exist???
« on: July 24, 2010, 01:28:29 AM »
I have this idea where your data logger or other monitoring device could have a set of adjustable hard limits that if any parameter was near to being exceeded it would first throw a warning light and if over limit would automatically shut down the engine.

For instance if you had a sudden loss in oil pressure it would instantly kill the motor without having to look at a gauge, decide that it is low and then decide to abort the run.

Or if you EGT or AFT was getting too high it would first illuminate a warning light and then shut off the engine if it went into a critical temp or lean condition.

I have never heard of a system that would shut off the motor but seems like it could prevent some engine damage (*way too many things that can be monitored and a box can react faster then a person).
I am currently hooking up data logging (Innovate) but seems like it would be easy to have a box integrate safety prams and kill the motor if things got off their limits.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 01:30:32 AM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Does this exist???
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 01:36:04 AM »
Johnny, I am installing an Innovate LC-1 Air/Fuel gauge on the Triumph with the data logging feature.  The Innovate technical help folks have been giving me same day replies to my questions and they know their product.  They might be your best source for an answer.

Offline jl222

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 01:47:28 AM »

Jonny... were hooking ours up right now also. We were just talking about one of our crew members Ducatti motorcycle,
It had front and back wheel speed sensors and when he did a wheelie the engine would lower the revs, same if he spun the rear tire, he disabled it right away :-D There must be systems out there. Call Inovate it does a lot of things, I'm just [trying to] learn how to input all the sensors into the DL-32 :roll:

JL222
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 01:49:12 AM by jl222 »

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 02:17:16 AM »
 I think it would be easy enough to make a kill switch based on oil pressure but the other ones would be a little more difficult. I guess you would want it to record the reason it shuts off too. I bet a high dollar ECU like Motec would be able to do it.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 03:06:56 AM »
I have a Pi Sigma data logger with 32 channels, and there is a control card for 8 of them that can do that function.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline kainzow

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 07:41:16 AM »
JHN,

This type of thing (automatic engine shutoff) is commonplace in aerospace, though typically it is related to failure of the electronic engine control system and the engine is commanded to idle, not shutoff.  However, for LSR, simple system architecture for engine shutoff due to discrete parameters such as the loss of engine oil pressure, can easily be made with sensors, wires and relays.

I recommend you sketch out the architecture you want (which sensor signals causing engine shutoff), and anyone you trust with basic electronics knowledge can then sketch you the wiring diagram of how to easily accomplish it.  In other words, make your own black box to do exactly what you want.

Hope to see you in a few weeks.

Offline maj

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 08:47:58 PM »
Google murphy switches or gauges
used on a lot of stationary engines , shutoff if oil pressure , temp,revs etc all fall outside preset parameters

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 12:21:59 AM »
JH, check out Daytona Sensors also. I just installed one of their systems and it's pretty cool. They have a number of different type systems also. They give a heck of a good racers discount too. :cheers:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 12:55:51 AM »
Parallax sells ATOM basic stamp controllers that are micro-computers that run off of 12 volt DC and can support 16 to 40 different sensors. You would have to program it yourself, but they have one of the best customer support bases and forums for users for all kinds of information. They range from $50 to $90 each.
                                                                                -Chad-
Wierd is good

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 10:16:51 PM »
Honest, I`m not being a smart azz, but Chevy put a low oil pressure switch on Vega`s that shut off the engine.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline rockstar

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 03:23:10 PM »
You also might want to check out the marine engine side of things as some of the high end marine engines have systems that shut down the engine if oil pressure gets to low or water flow through the exhaust fails and even if the alternator belt breaks and you have no engine water pump drive which could lead to engine overheating,try VDO instruments.

David
Remember Murphy's 6th law,if all goes well,then you have missed something out.

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Offline wlarryglick

• New folks
Does this exist?
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »
I'm sure (or reasonably sure) that VDO has an oil pressure gauge that will shut down the engine if oil pressure goes too low or to zero.

Offline dw230

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 03:22:31 PM »
Section 3.I.1

The requirement for an inertial fuel shutoff for electric pumps has been expanded in 2010 to include a low oil pressure switch as meeting the rule.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline wlarryglick

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 08:50:30 PM »
Oops!

In my last post I should have "written oil pressure sending unit" instead of "gauge."

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 10:10:06 PM »
I still have to argue the merits of basic ATOM. They are able to work with pressure, temperrature, and voltage sensors and can be self-programed to turn on a warining light when a certain operating parameter starts running close to it's limit and shut down at another limit programmed by the user. They are cost effective and if you don't know anything about computer programming, they have a forum at Paralax that you can tell them what you're trying to do and usually get a response with the exact program code to meet your needs.
                                                                     -Chad-
Wierd is good