Author Topic: Cutting tread on slicks?  (Read 13082 times)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: Cutting tread on slicks?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 03:00:21 AM »

From the guys who think they will chunk or split, why do you think that? Has this been tried and that is what happened?

Its called tread squirm, which heats up the tires and start chunking. When we road raced we kept our rain tires at the bare minimum to dispel the water, otherwise the heat build up in the tread blocks  would overheat the tires and start chunking. Tony

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline dw230

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 10:43:14 AM »
To add to Tony's input. Each tread block has edges, each edge will heat instead of the heat being spread across the entire tread. As the tread blocks heat they will separate from the tire in our application.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2010, 11:37:54 AM »

javajoe... there is more to it than just wide tires we run a lot of weight in back ,soft springs and an instant center that does't shock the tires,  my last measurement was 69% on rear wheels. Also the max spoiler length allowed.
 Just got my new LSR frontrunners and the thread depth is .105 thousand.

Yeah I remember reading your posts about the suspension setup and weight. Thanks
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 11:43:20 AM »

From the guys who think they will chunk or split, why do you think that? Has this been tried and that is what happened?

Its called tread squirm, which heats up the tires and start chunking. When we road raced we kept our rain tires at the bare minimum to dispel the water, otherwise the heat build up in the tread blocks  would overheat the tires and start chunking. Tony

Ok good stuff. I too have experienced killing rain tires on a road course. I used to work at a racing school and during one of our race weekends we had a particularly bad case of chunking rain tires. It was up to the head instructor/race director to call for a red flag to stop the race for a tire change when it started drying out but he failed to do that and let the race finish. By the end you could see all sorts of chunks flying as the field came past the pits. It ruined every tire on all 20+ cars.
615-210-1605

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 11:46:49 AM »
To add to Tony's input. Each tread block has edges, each edge will heat instead of the heat being spread across the entire tread. As the tread blocks heat they will separate from the tire in our application.

DW

What about a pattern more like what jl222 mentioned. Large blocks, not unlike a drag radial or street bike tire? From reading up on dirt car tires and grooving, alot if it has to do with helping to shed heat. Or do you think that a tire without tread is just better for traction on the salt?
615-210-1605

Offline dw230

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 12:14:47 PM »
I'm just an observer. I do think though that the more surface you put on the race track, tire blocks, will increase the heat build up, not shed heat. The larger the blocks the more surface area for heat build up.

IMHO.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 12:30:34 PM »
 So you think more tire, more heat, so narrow tire, less heat?

We have thought about skinnies on the back too. I know the Jesel truck ran what 240 or so with four front runners right?
615-210-1605

Offline jl222

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 01:10:22 PM »

DW

What about a pattern more like what jl222 mentioned. Large blocks, not unlike a drag radial or street bike tire? From reading up on dirt car tires and grooving, alot if it has to do with helping to shed heat. Or do you think that a tire without tread is just better for traction on the salt?

The street tires I've seen just have a few grooves  curving out to edge of tire with fairly wide spacing [not many of them] and I was surprised that is all they need in case of wet conditions. If I were to groove a tire for salt or dirt I would use at least double the grooves.
  I also think a lot of heat buildup in LSR tires is from spinning ''skinny'' tires. Never have taken tire temps but have never noticed our
''wide'' tires being hot. Taking tire temps will be a new chore for one of our crew and I will post the results.
  A certain competition coupe blew a ''skinny'' tire at close to 300 mph after spinning them to failure.
  I said your spinning the tires going that fast, and he said everybody spins there tires.
  We sold our Goodyear 10'' tires after 15 years and did not notice any change in the wear holes,now I wish I had measured them :roll:

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 01:22:12 PM »

Tony... not many turns our the traction to heat up a tire on the salt, unless it's spinning.
  What was the distance covered after the track dried before they chunked.

JL222

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 02:56:54 PM »
I like the new avatar Dan. It describes exactly who you are! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2010, 03:14:33 PM »
Every time a tire chunks we have to do a course sweep to make sure the now out of balance tire has not shook so hard other pieces of the vehicle have come off. Dzus buttons come off as well as other items. Each time we do a sweep of the course it's usually about a 30 minute down time. Now another problem is the crews don't always notify the timing tower so we know. It's very important to do a quick inspection of the race vehicle and to let us know if anything including engine parts were left by your vehicle. When tire chunks etc. are on the course the next driver may see this and try to drive around the object. That can lead to other problems.

The next important thing is to make sure your crew attend the drivers meeting and understand what is going on as well. Do the course drive down on the course you will be racing on and understand why we do it.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 07:32:53 PM »
Are Hoosier slicks wrinkle wall tires? How would that affect handling?
                                                                       -Chad-
Wierd is good

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 07:41:55 PM »
Any wrinkle wall will get you in trouble as they are designed to run at low pressures. Getting a little side ways can cause it to roll under the wheel.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2010, 09:50:48 PM »
No they aren't drag slicks, so not wrinkle walls.
615-210-1605