Author Topic: Belly Tank Lakester  (Read 72632 times)

Offline sprintcj

• New folks
Re: Belly Tank Lakester
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2010, 07:10:56 AM »
Sparky, I am planning on running Maxton,Loring and hopefully go to the salt flats at least once.As for drivetrain I am going to start out running a 315 cubic inch alcohol injected smallblock chevy and a one - off two speed trans and I could end up with a 410 cubic inch motor. I only want to go so fast and then I will turn it over to someone who wants to go real fast,I am more about having the fun of building and tweeking of the car. Any advice would be Great.

CJ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2010, 09:52:46 AM »
I run 7.5 GM with a Torsen---I do not run on pavement and have no tq converter and a relatively light rear weight car 2200#--

A GM 8.5 is available from 2.41 up

A GM 8 7/8 has a 2.28 up gear

The QC with a Torsen may be a good compromise for what your  choices are---its just eats up some of your TE before it get to the track would be handicapped at B'ville
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2010, 11:40:46 PM »
A lot of people or suprised when they learn that I run an auto, no tq converter and a stock valve body

Well, as long as you have enough line pressure to keep the friction parts engaged during the shift and in high gear, why not? 10 psi over slippage is hard to estimate, but sometimes you can feel it.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2010, 12:00:56 AM »
I want the friction parts to slip some; as well as the tires to spin a little--not hard to do on the salt :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline desotoman

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2010, 12:03:39 AM »
I want the friction parts to slip some; as well as the tires to spin a little--not hard to do on the salt :-D

:cheers: :cheers: I like your style.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2010, 10:19:36 AM »
How do you monitor internal slip - engine RPM vs. driveshaft, then adjust the relief valve on the fly?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2010, 12:05:06 PM »
don't 

I just have watched the tach a time or two on the up shift how fast it fell and how it started the climb back up.  We have good friction stuff and a good pump.  I just do not want "bang shifts. I want the car to feel as little as it can during the shift. When running the PG we actually fall out of the tq curve by 350 rpm and we get a bigger hit some times from coming back up on the cam than the trans shifts, There are noticeably two separate events on a good track--on a slippery surface it just sorta blends into one, that we may have to pedal just a tad to get back WOT sooner. 

I have data logged a previous car and had a pretty good idea on what TE it is possible to hook up with a rear weight of 22 -2300". my idea of TATC or Texas Aggie traction control. That was one of the main reasons I went with a PG,  my idea of TATC or Texas Aggie traction control.

Eventually want to run hair driers and I know that it will require more smarts.

Offline mrfab

• New folks
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2010, 09:57:32 PM »
Daniel,
I spoke with you on the phone today about the lakester I am building. Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate it. Your belly tank looks awesome.

Charlie
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:19:45 PM by mrfab »

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2010, 10:35:59 PM »
 :-o :? :-o :? :?  Your belly looks awsome????    Something aint right there me thinks!
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline dshuken

• New folks
    • Shuken Racing Fabrication
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2010, 07:32:28 PM »
It's been busy in the shop lately, but I have made some progress on the tank.  here's where i am at:

The rollcage is tacked up and the shell is trimmed out for the cockpit.  You can also see the
wooden buck for the aluminum headrest fairing (in progress)

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2010, 07:36:33 PM »

Scott found the vintage Moon fuel tank, which fit perfectly over the tailshaft.  The firebottle
came from DJ Safety.  There has been some talk of doing a dry sump on the banger.  If we do,
I think we can fit an oil tank under the firebottle.

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2010, 07:38:57 PM »

I built the push bar on quick pins so it can fold up and out of the way to
change gears.

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2010, 07:40:25 PM »

I filled the holes in the split 'bones with tubing

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2010, 07:43:25 PM »

Here is about half of the firewall behind the seat. After the headrest fairing is done, I can build the
upper half.

Tank wihout the buck for the fairing.

Offline Fordrat31

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2010, 07:49:11 PM »
I have a quick qestion about your cage. What is the angle of the front hoop compaired to the horizontal attachment point?

Mike
Speed, you have to make it your friend, then convince it to volunteer on you team