Author Topic: Belly Tank Lakester  (Read 72628 times)

Offline johnneilson

Re: Belly Tank Lakester
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 09:21:40 AM »
Daniel,

I will post pics as soon as it represents more than a pile of parts on the floor.

I was planning on streching the WB to 124" and 15ยบ caster.

John

As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline sprintcj

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 09:48:58 PM »
Daniel,I am starting to get my parts together for my bellytankand I was wondering about the width of the front axle and the quickchange rear that you used.I got a P-38 fiberglass replica tank that I want to use a quickchange rear and straight axle front suspension in to run ECTA events with, but also run the salt flats. I'm going to be like John and stretch my wheelbase out to about 124"-130" if the frame dimensions work out.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
          CJ

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 09:55:23 PM »
There is a lot of builds in the archives. A little searching will show you lots on the builds.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dshuken

• New folks
    • Shuken Racing Fabrication
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 12:40:08 AM »
The way I see it, the longer the wheelbase, the better. 118 was about all I could get out of this tank.  If you guys can get 124-130, awesome. The front axle can go wherever you want it, but the problem is in the rear.  The quickchange hangs so low in the back, you can only stretch it out so far, before you can't get the cover off.  I don't remember the track widths off the top of my head, but when I get back into the shop next week, I will measure them.
As far as caster goes, I like a lot (I run a front engine dragster with 25 degrees).  I ended up with 18 on the tank, because I had to modify the split wishbones.  They were set up for about 7 degrees, so I had to cut them apart, change the angle and re-weld them.  I didn't want to take off too much material, so I stopped at 18.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 12:47:47 AM by dshuken »

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 02:07:45 PM »
It has been a busy couple of weeks at Shuken Racing, but I am back from the salt, and working on the tank again.  After test fitting the chassis in the shell, it is back on the fixture.  Right now I am working on the accessories; shocks, brakes, steering etc. Hopefully, by next week I can weld the chassis on the fixture and get on the ground rolling.  Here's what it looks like so far.

The front end is basically done, except for the panhard bar.

here is a close up of the Offenhauser friction shocks.

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2010, 02:14:03 PM »

Here is a good shot of the cockpit.  The rack and pinion is a Stillettlo designed for a dragster.  I wanted to use a vintage style steering gear, but I couldn't find one that would work with limited space in the front end. Scott had the footprint gas pedal in his collection, and it worked perfectly.  I fabricated the new brake pedal.

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2010, 02:19:39 PM »

I built solid motor mounts using the stock mounting points on the engine and trans.

The tailshaft housing is mounted solid as well and braced to the rear end crossmember to minimize lateral flex.

These bent tubes will stabilize the rear end, and telescope out of the way to remove it.

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »

The seat and steering wheel also came from Scott's collection.  The seat is a flight seat from a P-39, and the wheel is the bomb sight yoke from a B-17.  The aluminum seat was a little thin, so I welded some reinforcement panels where it bolts to the chassis.

Here you can also see the brake linkage from the pedal to the master cylinder.

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 08:24:24 PM »
On my old tank( 60s era) the body was cut and the end dzused  back on so the quick change gears were accessible.

Offline nlancaster

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 10:47:24 PM »
Love your work on the tank.

I am working on a design for a stream liner and wonder if you could help me.

I wonder if you could get me the deminesions indicated below?

The distance between the welds, and the diameter at the welds.

Thanks, in advance.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 05:47:19 PM by nlancaster »

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 12:08:34 AM »
Weld to weld - 9"
Diameter at weld 4"

Offline sprintcj

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 09:43:48 AM »
Daniel, great looking work on the tank, looks like you are on a roll, Can you tell me how wide the rear and front axle are? I am am trying to decide how wide to go so I can order my rear and front axle. Any Help would be Great.

Thanks,

CJ

Offline nlancaster

• New folks
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »
Weld to weld - 9"
Diameter at weld 4"

Thanks alot man.

can't wait to see your tank done.

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 11:49:48 PM »
CJ,
Sorry it took so long with those measurements.  Here's what I've got:
Rear end axle to axle is 56"
Since the front end is still in the fixture, I couldn't put the hubs on the spindles, but by eyeball,
hub to hub looks like 58 1/2".
We used a Model A width rear end just for nostalgia sake, that is why the front and rear are different widths.
Hope this helps,
Daniel

Offline sprintcj

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 07:59:31 PM »
Thanks for the measurements Daniel.I am trying to decide how wide to go - out wide - clear of the tank line, or in as close as the rules will allow,(more or less stability ? ).I would like to say that I will get it right the first time, but then what would be the fun in that and I can always narrow it up if I decide it is too wide, I'm thinking 60 inches for the Quickchange width and about 54 to 58 inches for the front axle.Once again ,thanks for the info and keep up the good work !

CJ