Author Topic: Belly Tank Lakester  (Read 72786 times)

Offline dshuken

• New folks
    • Shuken Racing Fabrication
Belly Tank Lakester
« on: July 23, 2010, 12:02:53 AM »
The latest project at Shuken Racing is a belly tank.  A few months ago, Scott Oliver approached me about building a new car.  He already had a few parts on hand: an original aluminum tank from an F6F Hellcat, a recently running Model B four banger, an assortment of original bomber seats and a 1937 V8-60 front axle.  His vision was simple: he wanted a racecar that was built to modern safety specs, but still looks like it belongs in the 50's. Here is a pic of the tank halves. They are actually two seperate tanks that Scott split to keep the lip on both sides.  We adapted a Ford C4 automatic to the Model B, and coupled it to a Winters nostalgia quick change.  Stay tuned for more pics as the car takes shape.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:00:57 PM by dshuken »

Offline bvillercr

Re: Belly Tank Lakester
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 01:57:44 AM »
I noticed your in Fresno, where is the shop located?

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:39:59 AM »
Im on McKinley, about 5 miles west of 99

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 11:11:09 AM »
Our car is currently at Precision auto near Mckinley.  It's on Maple and fine, well be there after 2 most days until after our dyno sessions are over.  Stop by and say hi if you want.

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 06:58:27 PM »

Here is front half of the cage/chassis.  I am using 4130 tubing for the chassis.  I bent the shoulder hoop in house, but I had to have the front hoop custom rolled to match the radius of the tank.  I also had some pieces rolled that will go under the seat, so the driver can sit as low as possible. After the chassis is tacked, I'm going to take it off hte fixture and make sure it fits in the tank, before I go any further.

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 07:18:27 PM »

Hi Daniel...belly tank chassis is looking good, you going to Bville with the GMC roadster?

JL222
 Keep us posted :cheers:

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 07:29:06 PM »
We'll be there. I talked to Marsh the other day and he said everything is ready to go.  Hopefully we can bump our record by a few MPH, but there are a couple of strong running cars gunning for us.  Looks like you guys are close to being ready too, see you out there.

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 02:07:06 PM »
The basic structure of the chassis is tacked together

The rear end is solid mounted, since the transmission couples directly to the pinion shaft (no u-joints)

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 02:13:51 PM »
I notched the tank for the axles and set the chassis in for mock up. It is a tight fit, but I guess that is just the nature of a belly tank.

the halves are clamped together, and so far, everything clears. Ground clearance is about 1 1/2".

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 02:31:24 PM »

Finding a transmission for the model B was a challenge in itself.  I found an adapter kit for Model A/B to Chevy automatic, but the chevy autos were all too long to fit in the tank.  The C4 seemed like the best choice with a Chevy bellhousing to fit on the adapter.  Mike at Mike's Transmissions in Lancaster, CA built us a C4 with a manual valve body and no torque converter.  When I got the adapter kit, I learned the hard way that the Model B has a different flywheel cover than the A, so the adapter plate wouldn't fit.  After making some phone calls, I found out that I could bolt a Model A flywheel cover on the B motor.  I got a brand new aluminum cover from Snyder's Antique Auto Parts, and everthing finally went together.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 02:39:16 PM »
Cool!  More!!!  :mrgreen:

Mike

OBTW, what's that starter??
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline sprintcj

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 04:53:20 PM »
bellytank looks great, I am starting on one myself so I will be watching your build and comparing ideas,Please keep the pictures coming.

CJ

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 12:31:23 AM »
Mike,
Im not sure what starter it is. It came with the adapter kit from Bendtsen's Transmissions.  It just looks like an aftermarket mini starter with a 3 bolt flange.  Hope that helps.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 11:37:47 AM »
I have been accumulating the parts to build something very simular.
I have a F8F Bearcat tank, probably the same.

How long is the wheelbase and how much caster? It looks like maybe 15ยบ ?

Thanks, John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline dshuken

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 01:26:17 AM »
John,
The wheelbase is 118" and I put 18 degrees of caster in the front end. Post some pics as your tank takes shape.
Daniel