Author Topic: STREAMLINER TREAD WIDTH  (Read 2225 times)

Offline nebulous

STREAMLINER TREAD WIDTH
« on: July 22, 2010, 01:03:48 PM »
8080, our four wheel streamliner under scrutiny has a tread width of 3 3/8 ". Should there be a minimum tread width set for all four wheel streamliners? Again, I think rigorous testing and observation of all new ideas should be used to decide whether to ban a vehicle or let it run! Establishing a tread width rule would dictate design!
That happened to 9090 in modified sports already!
The skids used in this design (easy to do with a flat bottom) are for support if a tire goes flat.
All streamliners are different, and should remain that way!
Thanks Jack 
Jack Costella   
"Records are set by effort, not by the stroke of a pen!"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: STREAMLINER TREAD WIDTH
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 04:10:06 PM »
Jack
you may remember when Vesco "halved" the front aluminum wheel and mounted 2 tires side by side on the back of the old lightning bolt to turn it from a bike liner into a car liner..... she was pretty unstable... So Don mounted 2 out riggers to the side and called it the "Sky Tracker 2".... i think he broke his collar bone in that crash.... my liner is 22"
C ya in a couple of weeks
Kent

Offline nebulous

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 08:11:52 PM »
`1212
8080 should evaluated by continuing to make observed runs! 8080 is different than Skytracker. We have made 12 150mph runs with no problems. A new design can only be evaluated by a fair testing program!
I too have a lot at risk. Streamliners are exprimental vehicles, that have to meet existing safety and handling standards,not to be made obsolete by rule changes.
" new ideas can be better ideas!"
Thanks Jack
Jack Costella   
"Records are set by effort, not by the stroke of a pen!"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 08:56:09 PM »
i agree with ya Jack.... thats why we have the speed limit rule that all new liners must follow..... if she is good at 150, then 175, then 200, on up..... i dont agree with the wind tunnel evaluation Bull crap on the other topic... if your vehicle shows to be stable at slower speed you should be given the ability to increase to your vehicles top speed.... wind tunnels and engineering "experts" opinions are all crap.... the speed and records speak for themselves.... Keep up the fight and hard work Jack....
Kent

Offline k.h.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 10:29:32 PM »
Hey, don't sugar coat it!

A wind tunnel that runs at 85 mph is a great place to do a "cause and effect of a proposed membrane" test on a shape that holds several world records up to 84+ mph as a human powered vehicle (designed by an artist, not an engineer). 

A NASCAR team might come in with a wax or silicone application and get a feel for any increase in speed.  (Insert Skittle joke here).  A race car that hits 200 can have the data scaled up to get an "expectation" of performance at speed.  Without side winds. 

Luckily, I'm not an expert in anything beyond concept formulation and project administration.  I hire experts.  The people who read technical essays from concepts that can generate money aren't interested in "opinions," either. 

Field testing is the hot ticket.  I hope 8080 gets the green light to compete.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut