Author Topic: Good idea or bad idea: Beadlocks  (Read 7812 times)

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
Good idea or bad idea: Beadlocks
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:04:11 PM »
There are quite a few threads about tires here. A couple of times i remeber some posst talking about centrifugal mation wanting to throw a tire off it's bead at high speeds. Could this problem be eliminated with beadlocks?
Wierd is good

Offline nebulous

Re: Good idea or bad idea: Beadlocks
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 12:37:37 PM »
constant kinetics

We are using them, on 8080
Jack
Jack Costella   
"Records are set by effort, not by the stroke of a pen!"

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 02:09:27 PM »
At high speed the Good Year LSR tires grow at the crown making them more round than flat.  The growth starts to pull the tire off the bead, that’s one of the reasons LSR tires have high pressure.  Proper control of the tire shape helps the aero and vehicle stability.  The BUB liner runs 125 psi on the front tires and has double bead locks. With Denis’s help we are also going to build our own wheels for the RMR with double bead locks. However, at slower speeds I don’t think it’s an issue.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline rebelce

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 05:37:26 PM »
Tony,
        Define "slower speeds".

Online jl222

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 06:27:15 PM »
At high speed the Good Year LSR tires grow at the crown making them more round than flat.  The growth starts to pull the tire off the bead, that’s one of the reasons LSR tires have high pressure.  Proper control of the tire shape helps the aero and vehicle stability.  The BUB liner runs 125 psi on the front tires and has double bead locks. With Denis’s help we are also going to build our own wheels for the RMR with double bead locks. However, at slower speeds I don’t think it’s an issue.  Tony

I've been over 300 with 50 psi 5 times [ but not for long] and once with 45psi and did'nt loose pressure and also wondered why tire manufactures don't recomend bead locks if coming off the rims is a problem.

JL222

Offline maguromic

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 12:38:02 AM »
JL222, Good Year did not recommend for us to use nor not to use bead locks, it is something I decided on after talking to the tire and rim engineers and a lot of other smart people on this subject. On the RMR our tire strategy includes proper control of the tire shape as part of the aero package, which includes running some very high pressures.    But, Good Year did want us to use a rim with a higher bead lip to keep the tire bead from pulling.   Tony

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 10:27:36 PM »
+1 for bead locks!!!!
kent

Offline Tman

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 02:56:57 PM »
Old topic but I would rahter add to than start a new one (pet peave from other boards)

Beadlocks on one side only or inner AND outer? 175-250mph are the sppeds I am concerned with at this time.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »
lots of tires safe for 175-300 range... you should be more concerned with the wheel..... you can put a blower on any motor but if you don't put good rods in it she'd done.... same as your wheels... you put LSR tires at 75lbs pressure on spun aluminum welded up rims and yer gonna have problems... the inner safety bead is what you need to study
kent

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 05:18:36 AM »
When I had my new wheels built for a want-a-be liner at Taylor Made they wanted to make them 1/2 inch narrower for the liner than for the 300 Lakester
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:12:39 PM »
lots of tires safe for 175-300 range... you should be more concerned with the wheel..... you can put a blower on any motor but if you don't put good rods in it she'd done.... same as your wheels... you put LSR tires at 75lbs pressure on spun aluminum welded up rims and yer gonna have problems... the inner safety bead is what you need to study
kent

Great points!

Here is another thought. In some venues folks will addd a bit of glue to the bead. Usually it is done to keep the tire on at LOW pressures but should do the same at high pressures as well.  Anyone on the salt doing this?

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 07:44:52 PM »
constant kinetics

We are using them, on 8080
Jack
Jack, both sides or on one side? What brand rims?  Thanx . .  :-)

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 07:51:19 PM »
JL222, Good Year did not recommend for us to use nor not to use bead locks, it is something I decided on after talking to the tire and rim engineers and a lot of other smart people on this subject. On the RMR our tire strategy includes proper control of the tire shape as part of the aero package, which includes running some very high pressures
Tony, are you going to run Goodyear? What pressure? Who is making your rims?  . . . so many questions. :-)

Offline maguromic

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 08:43:06 PM »
Saltfever, We are building our own rims and will be running tire pressures in the 100-125 psi range (depending on what our test show and what Woody finds out on the CFD).  I will post some drawings on my build diary when the wheels are done. Don't hold your breath though as it will take some time as some of the usual suspects working on the car are at LeMans for the 24hrs test (this weekend) and race in June. Tony
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:48:00 PM by maguromic »

Offline maguromic

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 09:06:05 PM »
Forgot to add the tires will be Good Years. Tony