Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1030134 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #2205 on: March 30, 2014, 06:29:30 PM »
"very low speeds"

Oh, you sweet-talker, you.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2206 on: March 30, 2014, 11:37:17 PM »
Stan these slow speeds are almost as fast as he is planing on running with his FAST STREET CAR  :roll:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline overdue

« Reply #2207 on: March 31, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
Stan these slow speeds are almost as fast as he is planing on running with his FAST STREET CAR  :roll:
LOL, really. I laughed. I meant no disrespect, but what HP are you thinking that beautiful engine could do, once final tweaking is perfected?

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #2208 on: March 31, 2014, 05:30:30 PM »
Makes me love the LSx all the more. Big boost with no retorque from the initial assembly when GM torqued it only once. But anyway, I love this car. I love that it'll never be a low cD, but still has value and looks good. It's a huge investment for very low speeds, but I'm still appreciative of it, thanks for sharing your build.

Overdue,

For a guy who has never turned a wheel on the salt, thats a pretty ballsy thing to say wether you say your appreciative or not. I find it pretty damn impressive the challenge Buddy and his group have taken on to try to put this car into th 200 mph zone. To start with bascially a WWII tank engine and build one off parts as they have takes a lot of creativity, patience and talent. Its not nearly as difficult to run out an buy an LSX and coax 750-1000 hp out of it. Once you get a car on the salt and run at least as fast as Buddy has, then maybe you can run your mouth. But Im thinking folks would be more impressed with Buddys approach.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2209 on: March 31, 2014, 06:08:30 PM »
Well said. I'll second that Frankie.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2210 on: March 31, 2014, 06:24:16 PM »
Frankie for president. :cheers:

Buddy's car is a one off and way cool IMO.
That's what hot rodding is all about.

Offline overdue

« Reply #2211 on: March 31, 2014, 07:39:13 PM »
Makes me love the LSx all the more. Big boost with no retorque from the initial assembly when GM torqued it only once. But anyway, I love this car. I love that it'll never be a low cD, but still has value and looks good. It's a huge investment for very low speeds, but I'm still appreciative of it, thanks for sharing your build.

Overdue,

For a guy who has never turned a wheel on the salt, thats a pretty ballsy thing to say wether you say your appreciative or not. I find it pretty Dodge impressive the challenge Buddy and his group have taken on to try to put this car into th 200 mph zone. To start with bascially a WWII tank engine and build one off parts as they have takes a lot of creativity, patience and talent. Its not nearly as difficult to run out an buy an LSX and coax 750-1000 hp out of it. Once you get a car on the salt and run at least as fast as Buddy has, then maybe you can run your mouth. But Im thinking folks would be more impressed with Buddys approach.

Of course it's ballsy, but hardly running my mouth, as I've driven big power before, only then I wasn't the owner, only the guy who chose the parts, machined them, and assembled them. My cred doesn't have to be salt to be real.
 Anyway, the ease of 800+ HP from a stock LSx with a turbo is the whole entire point to true enthusiasts of fast cars, all of whom grew up too poor to ever own more than 500 real HP on nitrous. Running 200 on an obsolete engine is not more or less impressive, just impressive in different ways. It takes unreal money, not cool but not arguable either.
 Look, the Sledgehammer did 254 on only 880 HP, and 1000 HP for the base Veyron means me having 1200 horses guarantees me capable of 254 on pavement. That fact alone proves I'm not running my mouth.
 You want to declare me a fool? Or an enemy? Same thing to me, but not what I want. I had old guys giving me flack when I first hit the drags, until I built a combo they said wouldn't work and ran both quicker and faster than them. I've suffered enough razzing. I won't take it from you. New to salt doesn't mean clueless.
 Now, back to the thread you jacked.
 A few years ago I nearly bought a 38 Chevrolet 4-door in central Tennessee. So I'd love to follow this thread if an arrogant keyboard warrior can stop spouting off and thereby proving he's too big for his britches. Come back when your IQ exceeds 160.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2212 on: March 31, 2014, 07:55:51 PM »
My experience on this forum is that one needs to cool and calm.

The knowledge base here couldn't be bought no matter how much you have.

When the older guys comment it's not because they're trying to put one down but because they are SALTY (They have salt experience).
There is no other racing like it.
It's not a sport for old men as you might be thinking.
It just takes that long to get to where you know your stuff.
120HP or 1200HP whether you own it, drove it or whatever the salt will humble giants.

Me?, I'm a humble hick from Africa that thinks all the guys on the forum are good dudes.
I don't think Frankie's IQ is in question.
Be cool. It works, believe me. :cheers:

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #2213 on: March 31, 2014, 07:59:20 PM »
I am by no means arrogant, im one of the most humble people you will meet. But when accused of being an arrogant keyboard warrior I do tend to feel the need to mention what credibility I have do have and earned.  Ive owned and driven two Super Comp cars at the drags for 10 years. Id still be driving my dragster if some douchebag hadnt stolen my entire operation 10 years ago when my two kids were under the age of 3 and I couldnt afford to replace the car. While the motor wasnt extravagant it was a SBC that made 650 hp and 500 tq at 7800  394 CID. No blower, no turbo, no NOS. Not bad for a guy who at the time made 10 bucks an hour and busted his ass to pay for what little I had. I was working with Sparky on finishing up his AA/GL up until Sept of last year. Ive crewed on a Top Alcohol dragster and 4 Top Alcohol Funny Cars. The TAFC im currently working on is 4th in the country and 3rd in the western region. At some point wether with or without the support of my wife Id like to build a Rear Engined Modified Roadster to run on the salt and El Mirage.

And Ill stick with my opinion that Buddys approach to run fast on the salt in a 38 Chevy Coupe is more impressive than calling Jegs or Summit and order a bunch of go fast parts for an LSX to go fast. Either way it takes money but in my eyes its more gratifying to do it the old school way. Just an old spirit in a 42 year old body.

Sorry for the hijack Buddy. Looking foward to seeing you again at Speedweek this year. That goes for you too Overdue. Ive got no personal issue with you just a difference in opinion.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2214 on: March 31, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »
Ask Ron Main and his Flatfire about this:

" Running 200 on an obsolete engine is not more or less impressive, just impressive in different ways."

It was the first flathead car over 300.  Yes, it took some doing - and some money.  But it did get done.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #2215 on: March 31, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »
  And the Salt Cat just keeps plugging away. 65 years plus antique engine with no uber expensive parts. Overdue, I'll give you 20 mph. The "Cat" is back.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Sorry, Buddy, Hope to see you in August.
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2216 on: March 31, 2014, 10:31:27 PM »

... but hardly running my mouth....
 Look, the Sledgehammer did 254 on only 880 HP, and 1000 HP for the base Veyron means me having 1200 horses guarantees me capable of 254 on pavement. That fact alone proves I'm not running my mouth.

O'due, Let's see, I think this is the spot where I say talk it cheap, takes money to buy whisky...  

Please report back when you have exceeded 254 in the mile on pavement or 250 anything on the salt.  It is not actually as easy as it seems on paper.  They don't put VHT on the mile tracks and definitely not on the salt.
My IQ is not 160... either.... but I also never brag before I do anything. I'm just one of those old guys that try to go fast on the salt.
Good luck with your quest... hope to see you on the salt in impound  :cheers:

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline salt27

« Reply #2217 on: March 31, 2014, 10:47:40 PM »
O'due, Let's see, I think this is the spot where I say talk it cheap, takes money to buy whisky... 

Please report back when you have exceeded 254 in the mile on pavement or 250 anything on the salt.  It is not actually as easy as it seems on paper.  They don't put VHT on the mile tracks and definitely not on the salt.
My IQ is not 160... either.... but I also never brag before I do anything. I'm just one of those old guys that try to go fast on the salt.
Good luck with your quest... hope to see you on the salt in impound  :cheers:

Stainless,
  From what I have seen, you can and have approached that speed, backwards, upside down, sideways and strait forward (not necessarily in that order).   :-o

Don

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2218 on: March 31, 2014, 11:15:27 PM »
OD,, if we seem to come off as skeptics---we are-- we have seen a FEW Drag guys excel
 but we have seen many more tuck their tail and sneak away  never be seen or heard from again---
PLEASE remember---above 230 even bricks can fly-- what works on asphalt probably won't on the salt! For sure most of what works for 5 miles on the salt would not win at  the 1/4 mile----

DIMINISHING DRAG is the name of the game---no mater what causes it.

IF you are a good PERSISTENT student maybe the day, will come when your 5 mile exit speed is within 1 MPH of your last mile speed---this is the holy grail---you have reached the power/drag wall -- to go faster you now have to reduce the drag or up the power!!!!!!!!!

YMMV  good luck, have fun 

REMEMBER the object is to figuratively fly-- not literally one makes YOUR day-- the later ruins it
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:21:43 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #2219 on: April 01, 2014, 11:58:01 AM »
OD, no disrespect, but the one thing I know for certain is that nothing is guaranteed on the salt. A lot of cars are capable of very high speeds on paper, but things change when the wheels hit the salt. Theoretically my little Henry J with a 60 year old six cylinder in it should do 185mph. If I hit 150mph the first year out, I'll be a very happy man.

What Buddy and his guys have done with an even older engine, stuffed into something as aerodynamic as my work boot, is nothing short of amazing. I am a big fan of the  LS series of engines and the power they can make. That being said, the guys that take something that was never supposed to turn more than 4000 rpm and only made 150hp when new, Rework it, build a ton of power, and set records, get a big thumbs up from me. Wether it be a V4, XO, or XXO. But I'm also a big fan of the vintage stuff. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry Buddy, I had to say my piece. Really excited to see what you guys do this year, and hopefully I can be there to see you guys get to that magic number!  :cheers:

Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson