Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1031534 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #2190 on: January 03, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »
Be sure to go to the second site that Fordboy listed and down load the complete magazine, "Engine Professional" not only an article on cryogenics but racing valves, racing connecting rods, good info on crank tolerances and more. Now we know where he gets his stuff!!

Speaking of cryogenics it looks like you could probably just take your block to Lambo Field this weekend and get it done for free! Greenbay and the weather will kick the 49ers butts!! and I leave in the S.F. area.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2191 on: January 04, 2014, 12:56:39 PM »
Now we know where he gets his stuff!!

Rex

Well, not entirely.   Most of the stuff comes from:
A/  40+ years in the racing engine, engine rebuilding, engine machining business while paying attention . . . . . . . . . (requires a drive to keep learning)
2/  Industry and racing community contacts I've made over the years and kept up with . . . . . . . . . .  (requires you to be a friendly and pleasant human being to deal with)
d/  Focused internet searching, as there is a LOT of information out there, some good, some less useful  . . . . . . . . . . (requires you to develop a BS filter and commit to thinking through and testing these bright ideas)

BUT, as I have freely admitted on many occasions:  Anybody can do what I do.

Now that I'm older, it is easier for me to recognize that I owe a debt to those individuals who pointed me in the right direction when I was younger and 'knew everything'.   Since I can't repay them, I pay it forward by trying to help others when I am able, and the others actually want the help.

After all, I'm not going to be around forever.   Too much of a burden on humanity . . . . . . .
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2192 on: January 04, 2014, 05:52:29 PM »
Well, our show engine is ready to install into the car! Don has done a great job getting it ready! :-D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Freud

« Reply #2193 on: January 04, 2014, 07:32:40 PM »
This is only a slight bend in the road from this site.

I found this in Popular Mechanics, February 2014

It puts our cars definitely in the computer generation.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/industry/this-bolt-is-the-key-to-gms-high-tech-assembly-line-16324897

Thanks, Pal.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2194 on: January 04, 2014, 08:11:09 PM »
Well, our show engine is ready to install into the car! Don has done a great job getting it ready! :-D

Beautiful Buddy  :cheers:,

Sum

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2195 on: January 05, 2014, 09:16:37 AM »
Now we know where he gets his stuff!!

Rex

Well, not entirely.   Most of the stuff comes from:
A/  40+ years in the racing engine, engine rebuilding, engine machining business while paying attention . . . . . . . . . (requires a drive to keep learning)
2/  Industry and racing community contacts I've made over the years and kept up with . . . . . . . . . .  (requires you to be a friendly and pleasant human being to deal with)
d/  Focused internet searching, as there is a LOT of information out there, some good, some less useful  . . . . . . . . . . (requires you to develop a BS filter and commit to thinking through and testing these bright ideas)

BUT, as I have freely admitted on many occasions:  Anybody can do what I do.

Now that I'm older, it is easier for me to recognize that I owe a debt to those individuals who pointed me in the right direction when I was younger and 'knew everything'.   Since I can't repay them, I pay it forward by trying to help others when I am able, and the others actually want the help.

After all, I'm not going to be around forever.   Too much of a burden on humanity . . . . . . .
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy

Well stated real logic more of us should be using more of the time.  The roots to most "secrets of speed".

:cheers:

Ed

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #2196 on: January 07, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »
Looking good Buddy!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Roseville Carl

« Reply #2197 on: January 11, 2014, 12:50:43 AM »
Like a fkn piece of jewelry there Buddy :cheers:
"Keep Em Between the Whites"

and yes Virginia the world is indeed Flat

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2198 on: February 03, 2014, 03:54:16 PM »
Ok, back to work on the car!

Next up, El Mirage with Mike Ferguson, the Road Runner president, driving!

Our main concern is sealing the inside of the car from the dust. Anyone have any good tips?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2199 on: February 03, 2014, 05:25:26 PM »
Ok, back to work on the car!

Next up, El Mirage with Mike Ferguson, the Road Runner president, driving!

Our main concern is sealing the inside of the car from the dust. Anyone have any good tips?

Put a big compressor on-board and build positive pressure inside the car  :evil:

Well maybe forget that idea,  hope to see you, Ruth and I will be there in May,

Sum

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2200 on: February 03, 2014, 06:36:56 PM »
Listen to Mike.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Roseville Carl

« Reply #2201 on: February 22, 2014, 10:33:03 PM »
Go gett'um Buddy
"Keep Em Between the Whites"

and yes Virginia the world is indeed Flat

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #2202 on: March 03, 2014, 03:40:46 PM »
Thought I'd stick this here since there was a lively discussion on it! Just another point of reference:
http://origin.library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1103027404299-328/Copper+Head+Gasekts.pdf
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline zenndog

« Reply #2203 on: March 03, 2014, 03:50:41 PM »
Wow Buddy, always amazing to see what you are doing. Hopefully Rich and I will trek down and see you at El Mirage. Be great to meet you and see the car in person.

Offline overdue

« Reply #2204 on: March 30, 2014, 05:39:45 PM »
Buddy,

As others have pointed out, retorque of the head fasteners is critically important to head gasket reliability.   I just want to add my experience with alloy heads combined with cast iron blocks.    The difference in expansion rates between the two materials creates a "creep rate" at the gasket interface.   Best retorque procedure needs to start with a "cold" engine assembly.   I have found it to make a huge difference Vs. a "hot" retorque.    It is especially valid in engine assemblies where the head gasket clamp load may be marginal for the stresses applied.    This means you, Rover K-series engine lovers . . . . . . .    :roll:
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Makes me love the LSx all the more. Big boost with no retorque from the initial assembly when GM torqued it only once. But anyway, I love this car. I love that it'll never be a low cD, but still has value and looks good. It's a huge investment for very low speeds, but I'm still appreciative of it, thanks for sharing your build.