Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1031134 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #2085 on: October 10, 2013, 04:36:58 PM »
looks like they are from Jalopy Journal?

Nope, I copied them from POPS post on here. I use Firefox and can see everything fine.      
« Reply #2080 on: October 09, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2086 on: October 10, 2013, 04:38:55 PM »
Rich, you're magic. All is exposed. Thanks!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #2087 on: October 10, 2013, 05:16:27 PM »
Ouchie! Hopefully Donovan can repair the gear drive for ya Buddy.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2088 on: October 10, 2013, 05:23:34 PM »
I found the posts without photos that used to be there.  For anyone else that is/was clueless, look around post #2060 in this thread.  I don't know why they're not, either, but'll take a gander at why.  Unless you tell me that it isn't worth the bother now - that enough has been seen, or that they've been posted again.  Let me know, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline pops29

« Reply #2089 on: October 10, 2013, 05:35:49 PM »

Wow --  I guess I know how to gather a crowd    -- lol   :evil:

I am not the best at posting but I did do it like I did in the past and I could see them fine--- any help on posting in the future would be great.

Offline Roseville Carl

« Reply #2090 on: October 10, 2013, 07:54:40 PM »
Hey Don with your skills don't worry about pics....... just keep on keepin on!!!!!! :-D :-D
"Keep Em Between the Whites"

and yes Virginia the world is indeed Flat

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2091 on: October 11, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
Ok The mystery is solved !!! I tore the front timing cover off and I found more crushed up steel

So as I was looking around at the parts I removed and

I found where the pin came from

this is an anti-rotation pin for the idler gear shaft.. What we think is we started to lose the bearing and the shaft rotated and sheared the pin. We will now look in to the oiling system to the front of the cover

Donovan says this gear drive will only fail if something runs through the gears. They also say, that nothing of the gear drive would break and run through the gears, and it must have been something on our end.

REALLY? :?

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline DND

« Reply #2092 on: October 12, 2013, 02:35:38 AM »
Maybe your unit had a out of round gear like I talked about in post # 2078, and that killed the idler bearing

If you have no ' clink - clink '  in the gears 360 something has got to give, either the ball bearing or the cam bearing

G Don

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2093 on: October 13, 2013, 06:07:43 AM »
Don, something was definitely wrong, and we need to get to the bottom of it.

I haven’t seen it in person yet, but will next weekend.  Just theorizing, I wonder if we are getting oil to it? With the dry sump, and no ‘splash’ oil, it’s possible it doesn’t get enough.  At the very least, we’ll add a couple of spray nozzles in the cover this year.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2094 on: October 13, 2013, 09:04:48 AM »
The nozzles won't hurt and you'll be more at ease. I really hope you find the problem.

Offline pops29

« Reply #2095 on: October 23, 2013, 06:02:12 PM »
Well, Buddy and I finally got together at my place this weekend to do the tear down on the motor ,, here are the results ..

well it looks as after a few self inflicted wounds,(( cracking of the block, head gasket issues, and edge clearance issues on the main bearings )) the motor held up fantastically . All the bearings look great, the scoring in the cylinders can be honed out. ect.

as for the self infliction -- the Block was looked at by the owner of lock-n-stich and he explained the process of the repairs to the cracks, and we feel this is the way to go. I will see if we can get some progress pictures of the repairs and post them. We also spent some time with Kenny Boyd at his shop to look over all the parts and he was impressed with the condition of the parts so we will proceed with having the block repaired, then to Kenny's shop for pressure testing the block, clearancing the main bearings, honing of the bores and lapping the valves. Buddy is working on ordering new coated bearings and new rings.

Here are the pics

cam held up great with the new roller lifter setup as did the lifters and blocks

Offline pops29

« Reply #2096 on: October 23, 2013, 06:05:21 PM »
now for self infliction !!!!!! we scored the top edge of 4 pistons on one side of the block by not having the head gasket aligned correctly you can see the interference in the pics

Offline pops29

« Reply #2097 on: October 23, 2013, 06:06:47 PM »
here is a few shots of the crank

Offline pops29

« Reply #2098 on: October 23, 2013, 06:07:41 PM »
All in all this was great news !! It shows this motor can take the abuse of the SHIFTING GURU BUDDY  :-o and stay together. :cheers:. This year we plan on a bunch of changes, all in the small details,, areo, complete electrical re-wire (( thanks to Bob at Rebel Wire our newest sponsor )), fabrication of new exhaust system ect.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 06:11:30 PM by pops29 »

Offline pops29

« Reply #2099 on: October 23, 2013, 06:28:39 PM »

Maybe, I should have said SHIFT MASTER BUDDY  :-D