Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1026890 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #2040 on: September 22, 2013, 02:14:56 PM »
Almost forgot, you need to stop by for some of the Bushmills.... it is smooooooooooooooooooooooth
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2041 on: September 22, 2013, 02:58:27 PM »
FWIW, ARP install instructions for 2.3L Ford head studs says: Screw studs into the block “HAND TIGHT ONLY”.

Dunno about any other sets.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #2042 on: September 23, 2013, 12:49:24 AM »
... The only thing I can come up with, is that when we torqued the head nuts, the studs turned with them...
That seldom happens with fine-threads at the top and coarse-thread at the bottom.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2043 on: September 23, 2013, 01:08:32 AM »
I've gotten two stories on Locktite with head studs - both equally plausible . . .

A - NEVER use it.  It centers in the threads, and when you draw it tight and then the engine gets warm, it breaks down just enough to loosen the clamp load on the head.

B - IF you use it, torque it immediately so the stud threads are drawn up tight into the threads of the block.

I don't know who to believe, so I used only one drop on the head studs toward the end with the shank, and I didn't bottom the stud down in the block. 

One thing nice about ARP studs is that they have an Allens head in the end.  When I assembled the engine, I left about 1/2 turn from the bottom and held the stud in place while cinching up the head.  Then I torqued it down with ARP lube.

When I pulled the head a few weeks ago, most of the studs were loose enough to remove by hand.

So I still don't know who to believe . . .  :|

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2044 on: September 23, 2013, 07:34:26 PM »
Almost forgot, you need to stop by for some of the Bushmills.... it is smoooo
ooooooooooooooooooth

Stainless, I only hope it's as good as advertised!

Mike, thanks for the info! That is the way we normally do it, along with some thread sealer, to keep the water from leaking. I'm not exactly sure what happened this time!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline pops29

« Reply #2045 on: September 23, 2013, 08:37:33 PM »
I had some spare time on my hands waiting for the motor to show up so I built a portable hoist setup that we can take apart and take with us to BV. or where ever there is a motor to pull . it is all alum , the legs slip in to sockets and it can be assembled in about 10 min or less, It will lift 1000lb.

Offline pops29

« Reply #2046 on: September 23, 2013, 08:38:57 PM »
Buddy bet me I could not wait to open up the motor and check out my lifter system -- Well he was right , I could not wait - I was nerves of course ,, but after I opened it up and checked it out It was like brand new .. all the valve lashes were right on and the surfaces are perfect. We will change out the rollers every year as a maintenance routine just to be safe

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #2047 on: September 23, 2013, 09:00:45 PM »
That's awesome! Great to hear an untested idea get a thorough thrashing on the salt and live up to everyone's expectations! We might have to come up with an idea to adapt that roller system to a Jimmy!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2048 on: September 24, 2013, 09:06:08 AM »
Don, that roller lifter setup is soooo sweet-very nice job!

That's a nice potable engine hoist, nut I hope we never have to use it! I guess we better get the backup engine ready, just in case, though!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2049 on: September 24, 2013, 03:09:26 PM »
Do the crank and rod bearing look good? Your roller lifters and cam are BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline pops29

« Reply #2050 on: September 24, 2013, 03:39:06 PM »
Thanks ---     we have not torn the engine down yet,  I only tore the top end off, with the floods in Colorado Buddy needed to stay home. We plan on October 21 for the teardown

Offline Tman

« Reply #2051 on: September 24, 2013, 06:07:44 PM »
Good thing you guys have such nice gear and pit close to us! :-D

Thanks for the adhesive this year BTW :cheers:

Offline Roseville Carl

« Reply #2052 on: September 27, 2013, 03:16:48 PM »
Don that 'A" frame will come in handy for all the transmission swaps.............
"Keep Em Between the Whites"

and yes Virginia the world is indeed Flat

Offline pops29

« Reply #2053 on: October 06, 2013, 06:30:08 PM »
I have an up dated as I do the dirty work.... Cleaning up all the parts,, I split the heads and cleaned the chambers to check the coating if there was any damage like last year had. I was pleased to see they held up a lot better . here is a few areas with minor issues but I think we can run them without re coating

Last year we had between the 2 half's of the head allot of heat indicators that told us we were running lean at Ohio this year they look good

Offline pops29

« Reply #2054 on: October 06, 2013, 06:33:14 PM »
SO ---- As I was cleaning the heads I made a decision to take some parts to Valley Balancing to run through there cleaning tank,, I decided to remove the oil pan and go ahead and have it cleaned also------------WELL BIG SURPRISE AWAITED !!!!!!!

This is what I found in the bottom of the pan

now --- where did a 1/8" roll pin come from ??????? the Mag ? NO all good ,, So I dug in a little further and removed the distributor mounting block and the front cover !!!!!