Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1026974 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #1965 on: August 13, 2013, 03:04:04 PM »
RIGHT ON KETCH-a-TONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-o :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Roseville Carl

« Reply #1966 on: August 13, 2013, 10:46:54 PM »
Go gettum FlatCad crew... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Keep Em Between the Whites"

and yes Virginia the world is indeed Flat

Offline jl222

« Reply #1967 on: August 14, 2013, 01:19:26 AM »
Buddy just qualified with a 186 on a 185 record in the ALT CC class.
GO GUYS!  :cheers:

Gregg

WOW :-o 200 mph coming up :-D

Was that fuel or gas?

JL222

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1968 on: August 18, 2013, 05:22:45 PM »
Well, the season is over for us, and it was bittersweet. The  salt is definitely a fickle mistress!

We only made 5 runs on the salt, but feel we accomplished a lot. Out of those 5 runs, we qualified for impound 3 times, licensed a rookie, got that rookie a RECORD, qualified for the long course, and had a top exit speed of 189 mph. The salt didn't treat us as well as we had hoped, but we'll take what successes we can, or what successes we can dream up! Lol!

Here is a quick rundown of our week:

Saturday morning, after the Driver's Meeting, we were the first car down course 3. Dale qualified for XXO/BFALT, with a 167.5 run on a 131.028 record.

Sunday morning we were on the starting line, and fired the engine to warm it up. Wow, we had did a little tuning in impound, and it sounded good! We got to the starting line and fired the engine. WTF? The engine went to popping and back firing, and we had to head to the pits. The coil wire had worked loose on the coil, and arced on the rotor in the dizzy, melting the rotor like I've never seen.We changed dizzies, and were ready to go again.

No worries, Randy Jackson jumped in the car, and we qualified out of the rookie line with a 133.892. Randy and Dale both felt the car was a little loose, we we dropped the rear tire pressure a little.

Monday morning, Randy backed the record with a 156.544 run, for a new record of 145.218. CONGRATS Randy!

We headed back to the pits, and got the car ready for comp coupe, made a trip to tech, then out to the course for a tuning run. The car was FAT, and I ran a 166 in the quarter, and popped the chute. That was a LONG way from where I wanted to be, so I couldn't see any reason to push it.

We went back to the pits, did a gear change, leaned the engine a little, then headed to town for the day.

Tuesday morning, we headed to the starting line. Danny and I were riding the dirt bikes, and a car decided we weren't worth yielding too. Danny bounced off of the rear fender, and I laid my bike down. Road rash is one thing-road rash packed with salt is another! I managed to gash my ankle on the foot peg or kickstand, so out came the medical kit, and we wrapped up the cut.

I have to admit, I made the poorest drive from a driver's standpoint you can imagine! I hard a hard time getting it in gear-think I shifted that 4 speed 6 times! Don will post the video later. Still, the car was running MUCH better, and I qualified on Salt Cat's XXO/BFCC record of 185.111 with a 186.081 run, with a 189 exit speed.

Now, we're getting excited! The plan was to try and back the record, then head to the long course for a 200 mph attempt. After talking with John Beck, and Rich at ERC, we leaned the pill 5, added 2 deg timing, and went to the next hotter spark plug.

Wednesday morning, everyone was excited. We drain the engine water every night, because I'm not comfortable leaving the block full with the copper head gaskets.

Daaaamn guys, we have an air leak in the system-I can't get it burped! Double daaaamn, looks like a head gasket! We pulled the car out of impound, back to the pits, and swapped the passenger head gasket. Oooops-now it's poring water! Long story short, we had cracked the #6 exhaust port, so we loaded up and came home.

I tore into the engine on Friday, and found the problem. Good thing is, that it's not too tough of a fix. I also noticed the #5 intake looks too clean, so we're going to have to investigate that for a possible leak.

I want to thank everyone for all the support here on the board! You guys are great!

A very special thanks goes out to John Beck, for continuously helping us on our tuning, and to Stainless.

Bob, you and Linda's  hospitality was first class, and letting us use your dyno was priceless. Thank you so much! I was so happy, and relieved, to see you show up in the pits, albeit battered and bruised. Obviously, the precautions for safety you had taken, worked! :cheers:

John Kimbrough, you are a fiberglass king! Your work made the car SLICK, and we will continue Quest 200 next year! Thanks again!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:26:06 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Tman

« Reply #1969 on: August 18, 2013, 05:37:50 PM »
Great to spend some time ribbing you guys, you make good neighbors :cheers:

Offline Freud

« Reply #1970 on: August 18, 2013, 06:02:55 PM »
I too enjoyed my short visit.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1971 on: August 18, 2013, 06:28:14 PM »
Trent and Freud, it was great seeing you guys again, too!

In fact, one the the highlights for me is chatting with guys in person that I haven't seen for a year, but have chatted with regularly on this board! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #1972 on: August 18, 2013, 07:04:57 PM »
It was a pleasure to hang around with you guys when I had the opportunity, and watch the thrash in impound, too bad I could not help much beyond the photography stuff.

Looking forward to how things shake out next year I "love" that new body work, a little more clearance on the top of the front tires and you should have one slick critter out there next year.

Larry

Offline GH

« Reply #1973 on: August 18, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »
Way to go, Buddy and all the crew. Sounds like you had a great time with lots of challenges and solutions. Impound early in the morning is an awesome experience that I will never forget.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1974 on: August 19, 2013, 11:38:13 AM »
I agree.  I'll never forget (or repeat).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Graham in Aus

« Reply #1975 on: August 19, 2013, 10:17:44 PM »
Hi Buddy, it was great to meet you, even though it was a real quick hello!

The car was stunning and the performances outstanding, it looks even better when you can stand next to the thing and see all your teams hard work  :cheers:

Tough break with the bike mishap, hope you're not too sore!

Great results well done!  :mrgreen:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1976 on: August 20, 2013, 12:28:14 PM »
Buddy & crew,

Tough luck on that crack, but otherwise you guys did GREAT!!   Good luck next year!

Hope you guys heal up from the bike crashes soon.

Best,
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1977 on: August 20, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »
Buddy, was great to meet you and to see the Flat Cad in person. It looks even more impressive in person. While SW wasnt quite what you had hoped for, you guys did have a pretty darn good outing. Cant wait to see what happens for you guys next year. See ya then!

Offline salt27

« Reply #1978 on: August 20, 2013, 08:59:18 PM »
Buddy, as always it was great to see you.

Dig those flat cads.

Don and Gus

Offline GH

« Reply #1979 on: August 21, 2013, 03:32:46 PM »
Buddy, you and Randy sure blew Mike Collisons  old record away that he set in the 1950 Buick. He had lost his other records to the Salt Cat Team.