Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1031209 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #1890 on: July 12, 2013, 09:21:05 AM »

Soooo, I really hate to bring drama to the thread, but maybe my tranny issues with LIBERTY'S HIGH PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS, INC., will save someone else some heartaches!

I had went back and forth between a Gear Vendors 3 speed with overdrive, that Rich Fox was kind enough to loan me, and a ultra close ratio gear set for my Liberty toploader. I sent the toploader off for a new gear set in March, for what was supposed to be a 3 week job.

Well, as of last Monday, nothing has been done! On top of that, the price tripled! When I pointed out to Paul, the shop manager, that the new price didn't match the quote he gave me, his response was " Prove it- you don't have that quote on letterhead." WTF?

Paul called back, and said he could still do the job for the original quote, but it would be at least 3 weeks before the tranny was done. Paul, I wouldn't walk across the street to urinate up your backside, if your guts were on fire!

My wheels, my crank, my blow-blanket, my rockers, my flywheel, my dyno session that I eventually cancelled and moved elsewhere . . . Once everything finally came in and got done, it was all good, but what has happened to small businesses that they are compelled to promise or agree to deadlines that they simply won't or can't or are unable to honor? 

Fordboy's been watching similar travesties unfold for a customer of his in Illinois for the past 4 weeks.  The shop that had been doing the work for his customer just kept screwing it up and making things worse.  With a Mini Cooper A-series, there are not a lot of options unless you do it yourself.

I've been a bit more resigned to it because of the nature of my build, but Buddy, there are plenty of good transmission guys out there who can rebuild a frickin' top-loader and will keep their word, and if for an unforeseen reason they can't, will be in immediate contact with you to accurately communicate the issue.

Liars have no business in business, and yet they abound.

I suspect with some shops it's a case of not wanting to turn down work, or having an unrealistic view of their own capabilities.  But I also suspect that there are a lot of shop owners who know no other way of doing business other than to bluff, mislead and bullyrag their customers. 

If that's what it takes to keep it above water, let 'em sink.

It is VERY difficult to produce high quality work on a daily basis, IF, all you are concerned about is parting people from their money . . . . . . .

If a shop is overly concerned about "flow-through" chances are your non-standard project will be side-tracked, ignored, delayed AND the price punched-up.   None of which is any guarantee of quality work.   And most likely the opposite . . . . . .

And sometimes the guys who work there just don't give a sheet . . . .  and/or they just "mail it in" . . . . . .
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1891 on: July 12, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »
The Rankin 4 speed showed up last night, and Randy drove to Dale's to help get the car together. Dale, Randy, Mark, and Chris are thrashing away the weekend, while I work, and Don golfs! Lol!

Hopefully, you'll see some assembly updates from the crew soon!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1892 on: July 12, 2013, 10:49:03 PM »
Ain't it great when no plan and great people come together  :cheers: :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #1893 on: July 13, 2013, 10:23:08 AM »
The thrash continues! :-D

Update from Dale:

Friday Update:

Randy drove up, Mark came down and we were going like mad all day. The good news is that we all know the car and the systems, so we can get crap done without bothering each other too much.

I'm not going to write a lot today - have too much to do.

The tranny showed up in a big ole' box on my doorstep - looked like a big 'round' box due to the weight and shipping. The tranny looks really nice, turns over very smooth and we managed to find a shifter we believe will work. I hope if will get past the fat-Acura seat we have . . . may have to rework some stuff on the shifter handle. All in all - I believe a GREAT last minute decision and execution Buddy.

The engine is together - took a long time to make the custom crank trigger setup - had to make the mount, figure out how to get the trigger 25 or so degrees behind TDC, etc.. This is the first crank trigger I've setup, so was a bit to work out. I had it on the WRONG side of TDC the first go, until Randy corrected my evil ways. Can't correct 50 degrees OFF of where you need to be with the MSD box!

Today we plan to get the engine in the car - hopefully a few much needed parts show up. Had to pay $85 for a missing transmission centering ring - when yah need it, yah need it!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:40:48 PM by SPARKY »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1894 on: July 13, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »
love the reverse lock out  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #1895 on: July 13, 2013, 09:58:31 PM »
Lookin really good!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1896 on: July 13, 2013, 11:52:38 PM »
Do you know for a FACT how your electronic advance is defined? A few years ago I built a crank-trigger onto an engine and used a Crane electronic module which allows programming of the advance curve. My assumption that the programmed advance would be added to the static timing was wrong. The module, in reality, expects the crank trigger event to occur at the maximum advance value.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1897 on: July 14, 2013, 08:29:14 AM »
Not sure as of yet - I 'advanced' the trigger to 25 degrees before TDC.  I figured I'd get the trigger very close, then mess with the timing in the software.  I can move the trigger if needed (on a sliding slot).  I guess I'll call MSD and figure it out . . . but I can do that detailed stuff next week!
Member of FlatCad Racing Team - 2011, 2012
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1898 on: July 14, 2013, 08:30:14 AM »
Brief Update:

Tranny:  We tore a bearing retainer and throw-out bearing support out of one of my Muncie trans - attempted to machine the inside to fit the tranny - no go, not enough material for the seal to fit, and it has to have one.

So- we put the Rankin one back in just to get the car back to Randy's.  Buddy will have to find a new front retainer/support - we cannot use what we have.

Tranny Xmember:  Will need major surgery - Randy will do that once he gets the car back.

Shifter:  Big fun here - the one that Randy brought will not fit without a bunch of monkey business (hits the seat, etc).  We have no choice but for him to finish this stuff back at his place - can't do it here.

Engine:  It is done, inner exhaust system on it, blower manifold, front of the motor, etc..  We mounted the flywheel, new clutch, etc.. -- put the trans on it and mounted it in the chassis about 11:00 or so last night.   Started running the oil lines, etc..

Inside the Car:  All the dry sump and cooling stuff has been put back in and most of the hookup done.

Electrical:   Just heading out to the shop - will rip out the old data collection wiring and mount a new two-stack panel for the data collector and MSD system.  I'm going to make the panel/board out of wood - I didn't have time to scrounge up aluminum plate.  (Going to try one last place this morning).

Mark, Chris, Randy and I have been cranking - thank gosh we know the car and all the systems, so we can keep moving.

Back at it . . .
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 08:31:47 AM by BoredAndStroked »
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1899 on: July 14, 2013, 08:45:37 AM »
 :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #1900 on: July 14, 2013, 08:51:58 AM »
Well, did we get lucky, and have the driveline too long, or unlucky, and it's too short? :?

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1901 on: July 15, 2013, 09:03:19 AM »
Weekend Update - Was Out of Gas Last Night:

We loaded up the FlatCad on Randy's trailer and he headed out about 7:30 or so last night . . .  he had a long trip home over the night and he wanted to be able to be at work today.   He is one hard working SOB!

Not every last thing is done, so we took time to think about how to handle the remaining work in order to have the car ready.

With the above said, I want us all to realize how much we did in the last 3 days - an enormous undertaking by the crew . . . impressive to say the least.

Here is where we are at:

a.  Engine is complete and in the car
b.  All water and oil systems are fully plumbed
c. Intercooler, blower, injector and upper exhaust systems are mounted.  All new port nozzles mounted and lines ran.
d. Injector pump is mounted
e. Dry sump pump and overall system is mounted and plumbed - we're not using the additional scavenge stage as we have no place to plumb it.   We wanted a second pressure stage - but there was a mix-up at Barnes of some sort.
f. Transmission is in the car -but it needs to be removed to solve the throw-out bearing collar issue (as it doesn't have one!).
g. Main electrical system boards are made and all components mounted.
h. Both batteries are mounted and we now have dual cut-off switches in the rear - one for 12 volts on for the 16 volt battery for the MSD.
i.  All six EGTs sensors are mounted in the car, oil pressure sensor, water temperature sensor and manifold pressure sensor.

Here is what is left to do - high level, will detail more later:

a.  Transmission needs to be pulled and a new front bearing retainer and collar put on.   This is a part that probably comes from Rankin.   We could not modify a Muncie collar to work.

b.  Shifter - hits the seat and is generally not in a usable position.  This is the same problem we had with the Liberty (Don made a custom setup).  Randy is going to try to put a system together using both shifters, maybe some of Don's stuff, etc..   I anticipate this to be a somewhat detailed/complex issue that takes time to work out.  One big PITA if you ask me.

c.  Slave Cylinder:  Need a new bracket - the old bracket cannot be found.

d.  Driveshaft:   My guess is that we'll need a new one - probably longer.

e.  Fuel Tank:  This is being made - will have to figure out how to install and plumb it.

f.  Electrical System:  Dale is going to finish the few wiring details of two main boards and test them on the distributor machine - the entire system.   Randy will get some of the sensor wires setup and have a 'mount' ready.   Will take about 2 - 4 hours to complete the wiring (best guess).   The crank trigger is mounted, so it should be fairly simple to install the mag and complete the wiring.  We did not have time to get to this - too much other stuff going on in/around the car and engine area.

g.  Injector Priming System:  Needs to be installed and we need a small electrical fuel pump to run it.   

h.  Water injector:  Needs to be installed - Randy will have the injector hat ready to just plug it in.  Dale will have the wiring setup to basically plug-n-play with it.  I will test it and send it to Randy - should be easy to setup.

Can't say enough about the crew and the level of focus, hard work and concentration that went into these last few days.

We have a lot of details to get flushed out, but I believe we can make it -- like everybody else, it all comes down to the 11th hour and how you handle it!

Will post some pictures late - need to collect them from Chris and Randy.

B&S
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:00:00 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Freud

« Reply #1902 on: July 15, 2013, 11:14:59 AM »
Don't let the pictures slow you down. Us viewers whine too much.

The project is the priority: not feeding this bunch of lurkers.

Your crew is amazing.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #1903 on: July 15, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »
It is an amazing crew, it it! They are great! :cheers:

We DO need pics, Freud-I haven't even seen the new stance with the engine in it!

Offline Freud

« Reply #1904 on: July 15, 2013, 02:01:48 PM »
Flatty......quit whining.

FREUD
Since '63