Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1029718 times)

Offline BoredAndStroked

Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #1875 on: July 08, 2013, 07:13:56 AM »
Crank Gear Keys: Starts with the Speed Gods Looking after Me . . . Once I stopped the pathetic whining . . . I owe an apology to the Crank Grinder Gods - have mercy on my poor soul!

After I ordered the hardened keys from Jeg's, had a thought . . . "Hmmm - wonder if they took the keys our and put them in the crank box???". Sure as heck, they were taped to a piece of paper in the bottom of the box - didn't see them.   Duh!

Now - I still can't believe they put the gear on the crank - if I'd pulled the keys, I would have left the gear off the crank and wired the keys to the gear. So somebody who was one taco short of a combo meal (me) would have known what was going on . . . but hey, that must just be the way I think.

BUT - because they pulled the keys, while waiting for Jegs, I took the original keys to a file -- could easily file them . . . which means they were not hardened. Whups - that is not good.

So - one could say, that the crankshaft Gods took care of me . . . as this whole drama caused me to find out that the keys that were in it were soft, so I'm glad I know have the hardened ones.

With a gear drive, heavier spring pressure, etc -- definitely don't want a key to fail!

Okay Dale - that is exactly what you deserve for having a big pity party for yourself.    Quit your moaning and get back to work . . . .
Member of FlatCad Racing Team - 2011, 2012
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1876 on: July 08, 2013, 10:13:48 AM »
lol  "they" say confession is good for the sole--- who would have thought keys would not be heat treated  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Roseville Carl

« Reply #1877 on: July 08, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »
not a key ..... a shear pin........... :-D
"Keep Em Between the Whites"

and yes Virginia the world is indeed Flat

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1878 on: July 08, 2013, 06:58:04 PM »
I would use AN hose and fittings or hard line in AN  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Pete1

« Reply #1879 on: July 08, 2013, 07:02:23 PM »
I would use AN hose and fittings or hard line in AN  :cheers:

Roger on that.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #1880 on: July 08, 2013, 10:50:24 PM »
All I can say is "Wow"!!!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1881 on: July 11, 2013, 11:56:11 AM »
Thanks for all of the kind words! Randy, John, and Max really did a nice job with the suspension, body, and paint mods, and Kris did a neat job of lettering!

Dale, nice job with the engine!

Tman, I wasn't trying to sound short in my reply on the spill plates. I was traveling back from Missouri, and trying to post an answer from my Blackberry!

Soooo, I really hate to bring drama to the thread, but maybe my tranny issues with LIBERTY'S HIGH PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS, INC., will save someone else some heartaches!

I had went back and forth between a Gear Vendors 3 speed with overdrive, that Rich Fox was kind enough to loan me, and a ultra close ratio gear set for my Liberty toploader. I sent the toploader off for a new gear set in March, for what was supposed to be a 3 week job.

Well, as of last Monday, nothing has been done! On top of that, the price tripled! When I pointed out to Paul, the shop manager, that the new price didn't match the quote he gave me, his response was " Prove it- you don't have that quote on letterhead." WTF?

Paul called back, and said he could still do the job for the original quote, but it would be at least 3 weeks before the tranny was done. Paul, I wouldn't walk across the street to urinate up your backside, if your guts were on fire!

Luckily, this forum exists! Ken Coe, (iskipnw), had a Rankin 4 speed for sale, with exactly the gears I wanted. Ken packaged and shipped the tranny the same night, without even waiting to recieve payment! Tranny should arrive today-Thank Ken!

Now, to sort out the dyno issues! More on that later, though it appears I once again may be saved by the graciousness of a forum member!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline RichFox

« Reply #1882 on: July 11, 2013, 12:24:24 PM »
Anybody want to buy a three speed top loader with gear vendors OD? Supposed to hold 1000 Ft. Lbs. torque.  RF

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1883 on: July 11, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »
sometimes vendors forget the the old adage the pigs get fat and the hogs get slaughtered!!!!  he must have thought he was dealing with P&M :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #1884 on: July 11, 2013, 02:27:40 PM »
All I can say Buddy is... WOW!!! Car looks amazing! Pretty big difference in looks from the old trim, but I must say, I love it! She looks fast just sitting there! You guys have done so much in such a short amount of time. Can't wait too see the old girl out on the salt. Keep up the thrash!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Tman

« Reply #1885 on: July 11, 2013, 03:57:02 PM »
No worries Buddy! We were all just curious. We also know you have always asked the right Qs from the right people so I at least figured you had it covered.

Thanks for the tip, never will deal with Liberty, I hope the see this :-D :evil:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1886 on: July 11, 2013, 07:59:54 PM »

Soooo, I really hate to bring drama to the thread, but maybe my tranny issues with LIBERTY'S HIGH PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS, INC., will save someone else some heartaches!

I had went back and forth between a Gear Vendors 3 speed with overdrive, that Rich Fox was kind enough to loan me, and a ultra close ratio gear set for my Liberty toploader. I sent the toploader off for a new gear set in March, for what was supposed to be a 3 week job.

Well, as of last Monday, nothing has been done! On top of that, the price tripled! When I pointed out to Paul, the shop manager, that the new price didn't match the quote he gave me, his response was " Prove it- you don't have that quote on letterhead." WTF?

Paul called back, and said he could still do the job for the original quote, but it would be at least 3 weeks before the tranny was done. Paul, I wouldn't walk across the street to urinate up your backside, if your guts were on fire!

My wheels, my crank, my blow-blanket, my rockers, my flywheel, my dyno session that I eventually cancelled and moved elsewhere . . . Once everything finally came in and got done, it was all good, but what has happened to small businesses that they are compelled to promise or agree to deadlines that they simply won't or can't or are unable to honor? 

Fordboy's been watching similar travesties unfold for a customer of his in Illinois for the past 4 weeks.  The shop that had been doing the work for his customer just kept screwing it up and making things worse.  With a Mini Cooper A-series, there are not a lot of options unless you do it yourself.

I've been a bit more resigned to it because of the nature of my build, but Buddy, there are plenty of good transmission guys out there who can rebuild a frickin' top-loader and will keep their word, and if for an unforeseen reason they can't, will be in immediate contact with you to accurately communicate the issue.

Liars have no business in business, and yet they abound.

I suspect with some shops it's a case of not wanting to turn down work, or having an unrealistic view of their own capabilities.  But I also suspect that there are a lot of shop owners who know no other way of doing business other than to bluff, mislead and bullyrag their customers. 

If that's what it takes to keep it above water, let 'em sink.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1887 on: July 11, 2013, 08:04:51 PM »
That guy at Liberty must think he works for the government.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1888 on: July 11, 2013, 08:13:23 PM »
Chris, I agree with you. I could rebuild it myself, but I needed them to do the special gearing, as you cannot just buy them. There was nothing wrong with the tranny, save the fact I wanted closer gearing.

I may have been more understanding, had he not lied, and tried to shove the added dollars down my throat. " Prove it- you don't have that quote on letterhead", killed the thought of me EVER doing business with them, or EVER running one of their transmissions!

Too bad, becauseI really liked that tranny!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 08:22:14 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1889 on: July 11, 2013, 10:52:22 PM »
An honorable man honors his agreement.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: