Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1029963 times)

Offline Tman

Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #1845 on: July 03, 2013, 06:45:54 PM »
Bees  :? we have no bees in here   :-o

He meant Beer but forgot the R!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1846 on: July 03, 2013, 11:25:02 PM »
lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1847 on: July 04, 2013, 01:13:23 PM »
Cam, Thrust System, Lifter Blocks and Roller Lifters:

Fitted the new Dema Elgin roller cam into the block - what a fricking bumpstick this sucker is!  :eek:

Had to redo the thrust system for more clearance - seems that the overall snout length of this cam does not match our last cam (even though both blanks were made by the same guy???).  Needed about .040 more to not drag the front cam main bearing on the back of our custom steel thrust plate.   The thrust system is a special setup - we used the Donovan BBC cam gear plate, then added a Timken roller bearing and two hard thrust washers behind it.  What sets the overall thrust/backlash distance is actually the timing cover (which has another roller bearing for the mag drive snout).  I have a shim that I clearance on my surface grinder to set the thrust on the snout of the mag drive - into the cover bearing.  Works good and I end up with about .005 or so.

Lifter Blocks, Roller Lifters, etc:

Don, Alan, Kevin, Cannister and others did a lot of work to build our new roller cam lifter blocks and roller lifter setup.  Awesome stuff boys!  Who the hell does stuff like this in a one-off fashion . . . . FlatCad Crew :D (goofy b*stards that we are!).  This is some really complex stuff - and REALLY nice work by our extended team.   I can't imagine what it would cost if we tried to farm this stuff out . . . and who would be stupid enough to actually make it for us??  :-o

I did the design work in SolidWorks, then Don took over from there.  We're using Harley axles and rollers - with pressure fed oiling that comes down through a finely drilled hole in the lifter body and sprays into the axle and bearing.  Do we really need this pressure fed oil???  Who the heck knows, but I'm a big believer in having oil as many places as possible.  Buddy sent the dry-sump pump back to Barnes and they added a second pressure stage - it will be used for the lifters and the piston/pin oiling system (if I have time to get that done!).

Moving right along . . .  like a mad dash to a very close finish line!

B&S
Member of FlatCad Racing Team - 2011, 2012
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline Roseville Carl

« Reply #1848 on: July 04, 2013, 02:41:46 PM »
Go gettum Dale  :cheers:
"Keep Em Between the Whites"

and yes Virginia the world is indeed Flat

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1849 on: July 04, 2013, 07:16:27 PM »
End of 4th of July Status . . .

1) Prep for Piston Oilers - If We Have Time:

Worked on the lifter blocks and added oil line ports on the sides (in the center area).  I was pondering the best way to create piston oilers to squirt oil on the underside of the pistons . . . have finally got an idea that I like.  

As we're bringing oil pressure to the roller lifters - we have a galley plumbed in the lifter blocks.  I've tapped into the galley as a source for the squirters.

I may not have time to finish them, but I have a good plan - probably about 4 hours of work.   It will be LAST on my list, but by having the ports/fittings in the lifter blocks --- IF I have time, I can add them right in.  If not - just plug the ports with an 1/8 NPT plug.

See the mockup picture below - this seems like a very nice way to do it.

2) Valves:

Got all the exhaust valves in - is a real time consuming bitch to do, but at least I have the tools I made from last year.   Also, checked the new springs for pressure and length - they are exactly to spec.

1.8" length - pressure on the seat is 160 lbs.

At full .510 lift, they are 1.29 long and are at 345 lbs.

Dema made mild ramps on the cam - so this should be enough spring pressure.   Also, as the cam only has 3 bearings, I'd like to keep the spring pressure low and deflect it as little as possible on the inward cylinders.

Okay - time to light off a crap load of fireworks and drink beer!  :D
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1850 on: July 05, 2013, 10:40:38 PM »
July 5th Update - Sonzabitches!!!:

Great progress for most of the day . . . . but now, I'm just pissed at something that sets me back 3 hours! Sonzabitches!

So I get all the valves in, the cam back in, the timing cover system on (quite complex) and I put one lifter in on #1 intake. Mount my ginormous degree wheel, find TDC, find the closing ramp of the intake and I'm going to start finding the correct intake position - for 4 degrees advanced. (Talked to Dema today - that is what he wants).

So I start turning the engine over with the breaker bar - watching the Donovan gear drive gears . . . then, Holy Crap . . . the gears stop turning when the cam lobe hits the roller and pressure is applied.

WTF????

Then I watch - the crankshaft gear is turning on the crank! The fricking crankshaft grinder pulled the gear, ground the crank, lost or forgot the timing gear keys and put the gear back on anyway. I didn't notice - didn't think anybody would be that dumb. This is the kind of crap that just pisses me off and wastes a bunch of time. Arggggggghhhh!!!

So now I get to take the whole timing system back off - and try to find some dang crank gear timing keys tomorrow.

What a pisser! @#%$@#%#$%@

Glass of wine - time for bed . . . try again tomorrow!

B&S

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1851 on: July 06, 2013, 12:22:55 AM »
I KNOW the feeling---thank goodness the gear has enough clearace it stopped rotating!!!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Wrenchbender

• New folks
« Reply #1852 on: July 06, 2013, 12:32:44 AM »
Its official the flatcad is on it's way to Ohio for an engine Install.  Dale you better get busy the car will be in your driveway in the morning here are some pics we took just before we loaded her on the trailer. One thing is for sure the car looks fast even sitting still

Chrome don't get ya home
Chrome don't get ya home

gkabbt

« Reply #1853 on: July 06, 2013, 06:58:33 AM »

BITCHIN'.....'nuff said!  :cheers:

Gregg

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1854 on: July 06, 2013, 08:02:33 AM »
WOW - Awesome looking!  This is the visual motivation I needed this morning . . .  time to quit my bitching and moaning about a silly little crankshaft gear key and get my butt outside and cracking on getting this engine done.  :cheers:

Fantastic job by everybody involved - I am super impressed to say the least!

B&S

gkabbt

« Reply #1855 on: July 06, 2013, 08:11:14 AM »
Fantastic job by everybody involved - I am super impressed to say the least!

B&S

B&S.....I think everyone on this board will agree 1000% with this statement! 
To all involved, :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Gregg

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1856 on: July 06, 2013, 09:01:50 AM »
Whooooeeeeee  reminds me of the rhyme my folks taught us as kids about snakes ---"red and black venom lack, Red and Yellow will hurt a fellow" --- that Flat Caddy sure looks like it is going to hurt some records.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:06:22 AM by SPARKY »

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1857 on: July 06, 2013, 09:12:03 AM »
Just pulled the gear drive off - yep, no keys for the crank gear.  :cool: Luckily Jeg's warehouse is 10 minutes from me and they willcall on Saturdays - only takes an hour.   There went $27.00 for two little pieces . . . but when yah need something, yah need it!

Amazing service at Jeg's - without them, there is no way the FlatCad would have made the salt the last 2 years - or this year.   I make more runs to Jeg's than one can imagine.

Working on the FlatCad (or racecars in general) is like a home plumbing job . . . starts out with optimism ("I think I have everything I need"), then you make 6 more trips to Home Depot!   Two days later . . . the sucker is still leaking . . .  then you finally replace the whole part!  :-D

Luckily the cover came off with fubaring the gasket - as I don't have another and trying to find a .400 raised cam BBC timing gear gasket on a Saturday . . .  fat chance!

Off to Jegs I go . . . then back at it!

B&S

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #1858 on: July 06, 2013, 10:52:11 AM »
Man the car looks fantastic!! Who woulda thunk a 38 Chevy could look so good!! :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Online dw230

« Reply #1859 on: July 06, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Buddy,

How tall are those spoiler side plates from the chord?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth