Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1029891 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #1830 on: June 24, 2013, 01:18:40 AM »
... what's the diameter and overall length on those roller rockers?...
Flathead ain't-got-no rocker arms. Maybe you're thinking of his custom-fabricated roller lifters?

Buddy- Wouldn't heat-shield coating the pistons' undersides negate the oil-cooling aspect? Or did you not implement the oil-spray setup? Heat-shield on the tops of the piston crowns is very desirable.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:21:05 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1831 on: June 24, 2013, 07:02:44 AM »
Dale, ya big 'ol drama queen! The bottom end is together, so all you have is the top-what are you going to do with the extra 2 nights you'll have? LOL!

Seriously, nice job! I'll see you in a couple of days!

Jack, we're running out of time-we'll be on the dyno a week from today! We have all of the parts for the oil squirters, but may not have time to get it set up before the dyno, so the coating was precautionary.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1832 on: June 24, 2013, 07:50:03 AM »
Flathead ain't-got-no rocker arms. Maybe you're thinking of his custom-fabricated roller lifters?

Buddy- Wouldn't heat-shield coating the pistons' undersides negate the oil-cooling aspect? Or did you not implement the oil-spray setup? Heat-shield on the tops of the piston crowns is very desirable.

Jack, perhaps I talk I think what I'm knowing about . . . maybe.  :-D

Let me rephrase the question.

"And by the way - what's the diameter and overall length on those cam followers?  I might be seeing a British application in my future . . ."

It's no wonder I had problems earlier on . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #1833 on: June 24, 2013, 12:45:05 PM »
Buddy and team,
Your build is looking awesome!  I'm just sorry I don't get back your way until after Speed Week.  I'm going to have to be satisfied with the bikes at BUB.  But sometime this fall, I hope to get up to Greeley to have a look.  My first car was a '37 Chev, so naturally, I'm jealous.  Had to sell it back then - - the sacrifices we had to make.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Wrenchbender

• New folks
« Reply #1834 on: June 27, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »
A little update on the car side of things I picked up the rest of the front end fiberglass parts this morning and delivered them to the sign shop so they can get all lettered up the body work that needed to be repaired on the car itself is mostly done and max said the car will be done tomorrow afternoon.  Also while they have been busting hump on the body work and paint I have been collecting all the necessary hardware and such to bolt this thing back together also I scored some heavy steel plate from R&J welding for free so we can put some more weight in this pig  anyways here is a few pics of the front end stuff Chrome don't get ya home
Chrome don't get ya home

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1835 on: June 27, 2013, 10:27:06 PM »
Toot Sweet :-D  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline pops29

« Reply #1836 on: June 28, 2013, 09:34:43 AM »

Jack, perhaps I talk I think what I'm knowing about . . . maybe.  :-D

Let me rephrase the question.

"And by the way - what's the diameter and overall length on those cam followers?  I might be seeing a British application in my future . . ."

It's no wonder I had problems earlier on . . .

Sorry it took sooooo long to answer your question ---  The OD. is .750 and the body length is around 2.600 less the adjuster 

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #1837 on: June 28, 2013, 09:48:07 AM »
Daaaamn! All the work, John, Max, and Randy have put in the body is really looking great!  :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

Offline Wrenchbender

• New folks
« Reply #1838 on: June 28, 2013, 08:40:17 PM »
Well I got the flatcad picked up from the paint shop today here she is in her shiny new red coat

Chrome don't get ya home

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1839 on: June 28, 2013, 11:47:10 PM »
guys!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #1840 on: June 29, 2013, 09:11:38 AM »
Whoo-Hoo!!!!  She's looking good! :cheers:

Well, we have a few engine issues to work through, so we won't be on the dyno Monday. I've spoke with John Beck, and Stainless, looking for a good plan 'B'.

We'll get the engine sorted out, then I'll let you know what plan 'B' is- just as soon as I know what it is!! :?

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #1841 on: June 29, 2013, 12:07:47 PM »
Man that is looking good!!
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1842 on: June 29, 2013, 04:10:18 PM »
Buddy, Dale, and Crew,

Looks great, keep up the good work.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Roseville Carl

« Reply #1843 on: July 03, 2013, 02:14:51 PM »
Hey Buddy how is plan "B" going??? :?
"Keep Em Between the Whites"

and yes Virginia the world is indeed Flat

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1844 on: July 03, 2013, 05:05:27 PM »
Bees  :? we have no bees in here   :-o