Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1031591 times)

Offline pops29

Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #1815 on: June 22, 2013, 08:55:40 AM »

Yes the balls do the swedging  the jig is also setup for locating and drilling out the axles   it works very easy

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1816 on: June 22, 2013, 05:15:52 PM »
Ron Iskenderian sold me EZ-Roll wheels and axles- I'm surprised you couldn't buy them.
Apparently the Harley axles are not hardened on the ends, to allow swaging them over? The Isky axles are that way- I'm just trying to figure a way to emulate the factory's coining dies that do the swaging. I'm thinking of a jig that will resemble the tool you pictured.

Jack, you must be better connected than me!

I talked to Ron Iskenderian twice, and also Wayne Jesel-they both blew me off! Luckily, when I need parts for other builds in the future, neither company sells anything that I can’t buy elsewhere.

You’re welcome to borrow the tool, if you think it may help you with swaging your axles.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 05:54:08 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Wrenchbender

• New folks
« Reply #1817 on: June 22, 2013, 09:26:20 PM »
Hello folks here is a quick update on the flatcad sorry for the limited pics but I've been hammer busy doin a lot of things that are not really seen in pictures and to be quite honest I havent thought about taking to many anyways here are a few pics there has been a lot of progress on the car the front end fiberglass parts grille shell hood and stuff is all painted a fresh coat of bright red, the car is now at the paint shop (Liles performance and auto body) getting some body work and fresh paint job as well  we now have a full belly pan that I have fabbed up and am currently in the process of finishing i have also relocated the parachute to the trunk and made a new push bar that is shorter and lower so stay tuned this week there will be a lot going on and progress being made Chrome don't get ya home
Chrome don't get ya home

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #1818 on: June 22, 2013, 10:19:55 PM »
Outstanding work, Randy! The car is looking great, and I love the carboard fuel tank we mocked up! Don has it, and is working on the tank!

I cant wait to see the paint and new lettering job!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

gkabbt

« Reply #1819 on: June 23, 2013, 07:29:08 AM »
Buddy,

Wanted to add a little (very little) humor to you thread!  :-D
Sooooo, my wife goes out shopping Friday and comes home with this little trinket for me.
For years, I have used the expression, "When pigs fly out of my Butt" and she said she thought of me when she saw this.
As I was pulling it out of the bag, I immediately thought of you and told her what you have in your sig lines.

So, I present to you and everyone:
Piggy, The Flying Pig.....Protector and Defender of the Realm!.....LOL!

If Chris (Milwaukee Midget) can have a Traveling Gnome as a Mascot, I guess that Piggy will be mine.

Hope this brings a smile,
Gregg
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:17:35 AM by gkabbt »

Offline Tman

« Reply #1820 on: June 23, 2013, 10:35:39 AM »
Do I see the drip rails being removed? And did you guys make roof rails?

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #1821 on: June 23, 2013, 04:14:01 PM »
Gregg, that's awesome! I need to get a smaller version, for a hood ornament, that I could take off at the starting line!

Trent, we did trim the drip rails. We had planned on adding roof rails , but simply ran out of time.

Offline Roseville Carl

« Reply #1822 on: June 23, 2013, 05:57:07 PM »
Dang Buddy she's lookin goooooooooooodddd
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:05:49 PM by Roseville Carl »
"Keep Em Between the Whites"

and yes Virginia the world is indeed Flat

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1823 on: June 23, 2013, 06:17:16 PM »
Buddy,

Wanted to add a little (very little) humor to you thread!  :-D
Sooooo, my wife goes out shopping Friday and comes home with this little trinket for me.
For years, I have used the expression, "When pigs fly out of my Butt" and she said she thought of me when she saw this.
As I was pulling it out of the bag, I immediately thought of you and told her what you have in your sig lines.

So, I present to you and everyone:
Piggy, The Flying Pig.....Protector and Defender of the Realm!.....LOL!

If Chris (Milwaukee Midget) can have a Traveling Gnome as a Mascot, I guess that Piggy will be mine.

Hope this brings a smile,
Gregg

Gregg, we'll get them together for a photo-op - right next to the Pink Flamingos.

So . . . Buddy . . . We're heading into dyno time, if I'm not mistaken.

What's the word on the engine front?

And by the way - what's the diameter and overall length on those roller rockers?  I might be seeing a British application in my future . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1824 on: June 23, 2013, 08:50:39 PM »
Have been thrashing like mad to get the FlatCad assembled and ready to go to the dyno - worked all weekend and only have 3 evenings left to complete it.  I hope the Flathead Gods smile on me and allow me to continue without any unknown drama coming my way.   If everything goes like clockwork - I might just make it.   It is down to the wire.   To put this whole things together in about 40 hours of work is quite an effort . . .  I sure hope I can make it  (as I have a normal job too!).

Got the whole lower end, custom main caps, girdle, crank, rods and pistons in.  Chris Daniels has been helping out - without him, not a chance I'd have gotten this far.

Bearings - Some Unexpected Goodness:

A good thing happened, but only because I screwed up on a part number that I gave Buddy for the main bearings.   When you have a billet crankshaft made for a 'normal' engine like a BBC, you'll have 1/8" radius fillets on all the journals - for strength.  Due to this, you normally run narrower 'N' bearings (so they don't get pinched on the fillets).  Last year we just ordered the normal Clevite V-Series mains - with the N suffix.   I didn't even think about it.   

BUT - when I gave Buddy the part numbers for bearings this year - I forgot the 'N".  As luck has it, we don't need the narrow bearings on the flatcad as the journal widths are about 1.250 - much wider than a BBC, so there is room for the wider bearings . . . and they are 11% wider - which is a lot more bearing surface (with 3 mains, we need all we can get!).   Cool!  :rolleyes:

ORings:

As we're going to have higher cylinder pressure this year, we decided to redo the ORing setup - we now have stainless O-Rings in the heads and a receiver groove in the block.  The grooves in the heads are .030 deep and .039 wide - we'll have a .041 stainless wire pushed into them.  The block has a .010 deep receiver groove that is .0625 wide (it is centered on the head rings).

Mains:

Don and Kenny did one hell of a job on the new lower main and girdle setup.  We created a splayed center main cap to replace our square one from last year and also a wider front main cap that picks up the sides or the block.  Also, Don added dowel pins to tops/bottoms of all caps.   This is about as strong as we can make it.   Lets hope the lower end stays together.

Pistons:

You'll see the purdy coatings on the tops, dry film on the sides and a heat shield coating on the undersides.

Rings:

We're running Akerly/Childs HTD 'hellfire' style rings.  1.5, 1.5, 3.0 mm stuff - all from late model Ford mod motors.

To follow are a couple posts with a bunch of pictures from when the block came home earlier this week and during the assembly process - enjoy:

Member of FlatCad Racing Team - 2011, 2012
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1825 on: June 23, 2013, 08:52:08 PM »
More Stuff:

Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1826 on: June 23, 2013, 09:01:25 PM »
More Stuff:

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1827 on: June 23, 2013, 09:04:59 PM »
Lastly - Slugs in the Holes!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1828 on: June 23, 2013, 10:53:37 PM »
onward---onward---enough to earn the right to have a pig with wings for a hood ornament!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1829 on: June 24, 2013, 12:52:27 AM »

Bearings - Some Unexpected Goodness:

A good thing happened, but only because I screwed up on a part number that I gave Buddy for the main bearings.   When you have a billet crankshaft made for a 'normal' engine like a BBC, you'll have 1/8" radius fillets on all the journals - for strength.  Due to this, you normally run narrower 'N' bearings (so they don't get pinched on the fillets).  Last year we just ordered the normal Clevite V-Series mains - with the N suffix.   I didn't even think about it.   

BUT - when I gave Buddy the part numbers for bearings this year - I forgot the 'N".  As luck has it, we don't need the narrow bearings on the flatcad as the journal widths are about 1.250 - much wider than a BBC, so there is room for the wider bearings . . . and they are 11% wider - which is a lot more bearing surface (with 3 mains, we need all we can get!).   Cool!  :rolleyes:

ANYTHING you can do to spread out and even up the loads is going to make a difference.  As long as you're not pinching on the fillet, that IS good news.

Don't let the deadline cause you to cut corners - and I know I didn't need to say that, but it's just SO DARNED EASY to skip a step when you're trying to make a deadline on the down-hill.

Best of luck on the dyno - and don't throw it all away in the bull pen.  I expect to HEAR this thing this year!  :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: