Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1030651 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #1755 on: May 23, 2013, 07:36:34 PM »
You guys talk like a bunch of dimwits...You build them to race, not to idle around and save it for next year.
If you build them right they don't blow.

Pete, please.  

Read through this diary.

They have built this engine right.

The nature of this engine build is so out-of-the-ordinary, so extreme, and takes into account so many anomalies unique to the basic design that Buddy and the guys are completely into uncharted territory.

They are right at the edge with this one - NOBODY has pushed a Caddy Flat-head this far.

And because there is no precedent, there is the possibility of failure.

Fordboy and I had the pleasure of sharing dinner with Buddy last week.  Buddy is keenly aware of the potential for failure with this set-up.  Having watched this build from day one, I can tell you that if it should fail, it will have nothing to do with failing to build the engine right.  

I find your comment offensive - or at least, ill-informed.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:39:54 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1756 on: May 23, 2013, 07:47:36 PM »
Chris, thanks for the kind words, but there is no need for anyone to be too offended.LOL!  Pete's really a good guy, although rough in his verbal delivery sometimes!

Pete ran at B'ville in the early fifties, and went with us in 2011. In fact, it was Pete's SBC that we used that year to shake the car down with.

Pete builds some elephant Ford flatheads-real monsters, and well, you can see he's pretty opinioned! Lol!

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Pete1

« Reply #1757 on: May 23, 2013, 07:59:04 PM »
You guys talk like a bunch of dimwits...You build them to race, not to idle around and save it for next year.

Pete, please.  

Read through this diary.

They have built this engine right.

The nature of this engine build is so out-of-the-ordinary, so extreme, and takes into account so many anomalies unique to the basic design that Buddy and the guys are completely into uncharted territory.

They are right at the edge with this one - NOBODY has pushed a Caddy Flat-head this far.

And because there is no precedent, there is the possibility of failure.

Fordboy and I had the pleasure of sharing dinner with Buddy last week.  Buddy is keenly aware of the potential for failure with this set-up.  Having watched this build from day one, I can tell you that if it should fail, it will have nothing to do with failing to build the engine right.  

I find your comment offensive - or at least, ill-informed.

WHO is ill informed?????
I have been part of this whole thing from the beginning...REMEMBER, WE RAN MY ENGINE THE FIRST YEAR.
So far as I recall the flat cad has only gone .3 mph faster than my stock unblown SBC crate engine at Bonneville..
I wasn't trying to be a smart ass, I was just telling it like it is...That flat cad is NOT going to blow even with pop in it.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1758 on: May 23, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »
Pete, you have my apology.  It looked like an impending donnybrook, and I love those.

I didn't know the history - which means it's probably time for ME to re-read this build dairy!  :|

Stop by during Speedweek - I owe you a beer . . .

My grandmother had a refrigerator magnet that read -

"Lord, let my words today be sweet and tender -

Because tomorrow, I may have to eat them."

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1759 on: May 23, 2013, 08:10:06 PM »
Pete --

You ran almost as fast as the Cad, right?

But didn't you go all the way to the 4 or 5 or ???
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1760 on: May 23, 2013, 08:13:09 PM »
Pete, we ran 13 MPH faster than the SBC with the flatcad top end-166MPH. The record was .3 MPH faster than top speed with the SBC, because that record was set between the 1-2 miles.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Pete1

« Reply #1761 on: May 23, 2013, 10:44:22 PM »
Pete --

You ran almost as fast as the Cad, right?

But didn't you go all the way to the 4 or 5 or ???

I went past the turn out road once because the chute didn't open and between fiddling with that and pumping the brake pedal which there was NO brakes till I pumped about 15 times, yea, I went a bit too far once.
And besides all that, I broke a bone chip off my knee with the shift lever because there wasn't enough clearance for a knee between the roll cage brace and the lever.

Offline Pete1

« Reply #1762 on: May 23, 2013, 10:47:12 PM »
Pete, we ran 13 MPH faster than the SBC with the flatcad top end-166MPH. The record was .3 MPH faster than top speed with the SBC, because that record was set between the 1-2 miles.

I know all that...I was just poking you with the needle. LOL

Offline Pete1

« Reply #1763 on: May 23, 2013, 10:50:59 PM »
Pete, you have my apology.  It looked like an impending donnybrook, and I love those.

I didn't know the history - which means it's probably time for ME to re-read this build dairy!  :|

Stop by during Speedweek - I owe you a beer . . .

My grandmother had a refrigerator magnet that read -

"Lord, let my words today be sweet and tender -

Because tomorrow, I may have to eat them."

No apology necessary and I'll drink beer with you any time only it's on me...

Offline Tman

« Reply #1764 on: May 24, 2013, 10:50:34 AM »
Pete/Buddy, we miss you in the Tuesday chats

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1765 on: May 24, 2013, 02:24:04 PM »
Pete definitely comes across as a salty old racer, nothing wrong with that. Have met many of them over the years.  :cheers:

Offline Pete1

« Reply #1766 on: May 24, 2013, 04:19:56 PM »

I look in several times a week but I guess everyone's on a strict schedule and can't get there any other time.
We need to train people to leave a chat window open all the time and make it about an inch square down in the corner of their screen. Then they  can see if anyones on any time they are at the computer.

Offline Tman

« Reply #1767 on: May 24, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »

I look in several times a week but I guess everyone's on a strict schedule and can't get there any other time.
We need to train people to leave a chat window open all the time and make it about an inch square down in the corner of their screen. Then they  can see if anyones on any time they are at the computer.

The main activity is the 7-8PM MTN Window on Tuesday nights. Our club chats were open each night and it got to the point where no one showed up so we went back to a scheduled time.

Offline Pete1

« Reply #1768 on: May 24, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »

The main activity is the 7-8PM MTN Window on Tuesday nights. Our club chats were open each night and it got to the point where no one showed up so we went back to a scheduled time.

Yup, I can understand that. Most car people only want to talk about one subject and there is only so much to say.
I have found over the years and moderating a few chat rooms that some people just don't talk much. Others would like to talk a lot but lack the typing skill to keep up. Usually the ones that can carry the room can (and will) talk on any subject that the group may get side tracked on. One vintage car forum I go to gets talking on hunting, photography, planes and many other subjects quite often. It's like real life, people will migrate to the forum they are comfortable with.

Offline jl222

« Reply #1769 on: May 24, 2013, 07:50:23 PM »
Buddy,
I think aero is going to achieve a lot more than you think.  I would be cautious with the increase in HP until you see how much you gain with the body changes.  There's always next year -- if you don't blow the motor.
Tom

Your superior knowledge is greatly needed for all those ''dimwits'' in Top Fuel :roll:

JL222