Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1031572 times)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #1245 on: August 14, 2012, 08:38:47 PM »
Hey, Buddy -- it sounds like you're doing a fine job of it with the new car.  Corngratulations from Nancy and me.  She might feel up to visiting the salt tomorrow - she's asked to go out to a restaurant tonight.  But whether or not she's out there with me in the morning -- we've got some Salt Talks shirts with your car on 'em and I think you'd like to see one, right?  If I don't find you at your pit (I looked this afternoon but you were in impound, obviously) I'll check impound and have one with me.  What size for you?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1246 on: August 15, 2012, 12:58:30 PM »
We are tearing the head off the engine to verify record in XXO\BVGCC, and XXO\BVGALT.

Top speed was 165.949. We need taller gears in it for next year.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Roseville Carl

« Reply #1247 on: August 15, 2012, 06:11:36 PM »
165.949      Wow Congrats Buddy on a great time first time out, man thats an accomplishment in its own right!!!!!!! Great job!!!!
"Keep Em Between the Whites"

and yes Virginia the world is indeed Flat

Offline Jon

« Reply #1248 on: August 15, 2012, 07:50:25 PM »
Congratulations to you and the rest of the crew Buddy.  :cheers:

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1249 on: August 17, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »
Sure was a fantastic meet!   What a crew the FlatCad team is fortunate to have and also for the many supporters that stopped by, wished us well, helped us with ideas on our fuel starvation issues, etc..   I wished I could go right back out, do it again and go faster than 165.9 -- as this car/engine definitely has the potential to do much more.   With the right final gear ratio . . .  will be an even funner ride!

Thanks to the whole LR community for your support, help and interest . . . it means a LOT to the FlatCad crew!

B&S
Member of FlatCad Racing Team - 2011, 2012
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #1250 on: August 17, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »
Great to talk to you guys. the inside of that engine was perfect. Even had a dark Valve shadow from being run fat....Five Speed Required!!..... :cheers:

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #1251 on: August 17, 2012, 12:34:30 PM »
Great job Buddy, it was great to finally meet you and the crew even though we only live about 50 miles from each other.

Here is a shot of the crew test firing the engine after replacing blown freeze plugs and trying to sort the fuel delivery problem.

Too bad I had to head home shortly after taking some pictures, it would have been nice to follow you down to the starting line for your runs.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1252 on: August 17, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »
Buddy what was the final gear you had in the car?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1253 on: August 17, 2012, 02:16:09 PM »
Final gear was a 2.40 - with a 1 to 1 trans ratio and 28" tires.
Member of FlatCad Racing Team - 2011, 2012
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1254 on: August 17, 2012, 02:20:08 PM »
4800rpm?

Well done, btw.  This has been a really fun thread to follow.

:cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #1255 on: August 17, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »
5600 rpm on the last run, against the rev limiter. The last 2 runs, with a higher tune, ran less time in the 2-1/4 than I did on a lower tune.

The first run Dale did, I thought I smelled clutch, bo nobody else did. I suspect we had clutch slippage at the end.

More later, when I get things unpacked, and have arrived in Pennsylvania.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1256 on: August 17, 2012, 03:11:06 PM »

The first run Dale did, I thought I smelled clutch, bo nobody else did. I suspect we had clutch slippage at the end.

Sure it wasn't that "new component" smell?

Congratulations on a very successful Speedweek.

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #1257 on: August 17, 2012, 05:03:13 PM »
First, I want to thank EVERYONE, for the huge amount of support, on the salt and off. It's been an amazing journey!

Ok, help me figure out what was going on here.

We had a strict plan we were sticking to-mild tune, low revs, 2-1/4 times only, to see what the engine and car would do. We only made one 3 mile run, and that was Dale's last run, 165.949 mph in the 3.

We lost the first 2 days due to a fuel problem-the car would pull first, them run out of gas halfway through second. Believe me-if you have a high volumn pump, and a small tank, take the foam out! There was still plenty of gas in the tank, but the gas wouldn't flow through the foam fast enough for the pump!

In the first pic, is the times for our comp coupe run. The 154+ in the 1/4 was a fat tune, under-driven making 8.5-9lbs boost, and 2.55 gears in the car, bumping the rev limiter at 5200. The 162+ backup run was the same tune, with 2.40 gears, bumping 5300 rpms.

The second pic is the altered runs. The first run was a hotter tune, 1-1 on the blower, about 11psi boost, and 2.40 gears. I actually ran faster with the lower tune, but I had the bellypan.I thought I smelled brakes burning after Dale's run, but nobody else did. I realize now, that it may have been the clutch

The second run was identicle to the first, only I put in 5600 rpm, and we ran to the 3. Well, almost-I think we probably hit about 170mph, as the in car video shows Dale shutting down just short of the 3 mile marker.

So, what's the answer? I'm thinking a 5 speed, with about a .82 overdrive. When we go to the hot tunes, this baby will run!

Next year, 190mph or bust. Remember, you heard it here first! :evil:

Offline Tman

« Reply #1258 on: August 17, 2012, 06:47:19 PM »
Good job, you guys earned it. :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1259 on: August 17, 2012, 10:11:06 PM »
Or a GV OD  Caddy rear would give you 2.28 gears or the 10 bold will get you 2.14 gears  1.96 FDR might be hard to pull but you go back to 2.56 and give you a 2.09

I would keep the direct and go to the 2.14 gears
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!