Author Topic: Air filters, salt in motors and will a sock be enough?  (Read 11884 times)

Offline salt27

Re: Air filters, salt in motors and will a sock be enough?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 04:27:20 PM »
Both oiled gauze and oiled foam filters have been tried.  The oiled foam ones have worked the best, by far.  The filters are over twice the size they need to be.  This way, they can clog a bit with no performance loss. 

This is interesting.
We spend a considerable amount of time riding in the sand and have found the K@N filters to be superior to foam.
Sand and salt must filter differently.
That being said, currently we do run an oiled foam at Bonneville.
As far as size goes, we use as large as we can make fit.

Don

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »
Bg 3---now that is a filter---lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 07:32:58 PM »
  5 K&N's @$50 each. Don't want to change it too often.
 Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 09:47:16 PM »
so is that a five layer samish   :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
    Five open to the air, one open to the open mouth of the turbo. We are trying to avoid the trips to the Turbonetics Doc. They charge more than the local surgery center. If that keeps up I might see if the IRS will let me clain them as a dependent. :-D
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]