Author Topic: Knock Sensors  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Vishnuatepork

Knock Sensors
« on: July 20, 2010, 02:05:40 AM »
I am looking at putting a knock sensor on my bike, as it seems it will be a valuable tool to help with timing and tuning.  I was wondering A) what gases are available at El Miarge, B) does anyone have any preferred knock sensors for bikes?

Lastly, I have spent some time perusing some of the the motorcycle forums to see what others say about brand/make, a couple of time I have read that they are ineffective over 4k rpm.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Cheers everyone!
Alan
suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline maj

Re: Knock Sensors
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:44:13 AM »
I tried a "knock link " from Link in NZ , but it performed more like a tach, the 4 led lights progressively lit up as rpm increased, at any boost level , mounted on the side of the block , trying to keep some distance from the valve gear .

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:54:55 AM »
  Vis, I don't know about motorcycle applications, but I talked to MSD about their automobile knock sensors, and they said they are not meant for racing, the noise and vibrations will set them off.  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline SlyOneJr

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 12:13:44 AM »
From experience on my old 1978 Pinto with a 1988 TurboCoupe motor in it, if I ran the Pinto with the knock sensor hooked up, I would lose 3 tenths of a second and 4 mph in the 1/8th mile. Seems that most knock sensors can't tell the difference between detonation and the normal sound of an engine hitting it's 7500 rpm redline.
New Guy building a L/Gas Lakester
Ninja 250 powered Lakester for ECTA meets