Author Topic: Pro, PS, GT, BGT question  (Read 7635 times)

Offline Steve Walters

Re: Pro, PS, GT, BGT question
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »
I am confussed about the bike engine in a car, but Jesse's volkswagon truck set a record with two cylinders disabled.

Steve 
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 05:51:14 PM »
Earlier today, I spoke with Brian at Hasport in Phoenix regarding their G/GT record-holding Honda Insight.  He told me that, although I couldn't find it on the pre-entry list, they would have it at Speedweek, probably arriving on Sunday, August 14.

I also asked him a few questions regarding application of the rules to his car.  What I understood was that:

1) The car was exempt from the requirement for "The engine used shall have been available in the model of vehicle used as purchased from ANY automobile dealer." as listed under "Production Category" on page 71 of the 2010 rules.  The reason being that they took advantage of the clause listed under the Grand Touring Sport rules on page 75 stating "Engine swaps are permitted as long as they are of the same manufacturer (e.g. Ford into Ford, Porsche into Porsche, etc.)."  See the definition of "Engine swap" on page 40 for details.

2) For the same reason (i.e. the engine swap), their car was also exempt from the requirement for battery packs in hybrid-engined cars, since it was no longer a hybrid engine.

3) They were in also compliance with the requirement (page 71) for retaining the "original running gear design" as the car was still "front engine, front wheel drive".   This requirement is further defined in the last paragraph on page 71. 

4) I also asked Brian about the requirement for the engine swaps in Grand Touring Sports to be "...of the same manufacturer...", and whether this meant GM or Chevrolet/etc.   He said it was his understanding (based on his knowledge of another car that was so equipped, and approved) that it meant GM, and was not restricted to an engine made by the same GM Division as the car in question.  In other words, a Cadillac engine in a Corvette would be permissible. 

5) Finally, I asked about the use of a Honda motorcycle engine in a Honda car.  He said he thought this was prohibited, even though it's not specifically spelled out anywhere. 

I think the first three above are pretty obvious, but it would be nice to have the last two cleared up once and for all.  Maybe if they could add a word or two here, and there...

So, I guess this may mean no Hayabusa in an XC-90, and I probably should abandon my search for a 2-seat Packard to go with that old Merlin.

Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 05:58:22 PM »
I think you could (and should!) run the Merlin in a Packard Modified Roadster.  They have MC-engined MR's -- right?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline desotoman

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 06:02:13 PM »

I probably should abandon my search for a 2-seat Packard to go with that old Merlin.

Jeff in Boise

Only if you don't like crowds. LOL. That would be the cats meow.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 06:47:21 PM »
Dwight Bond, founder of Gibbon Fiberglass, was also, I believe, a Packard restorer and perhaps made a fiberglass roadster body or two for mundane sedan chasses, maybe something like the one he's standing next to:

:cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline dw230

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 10:56:56 PM »
Once again the rulebook has proven to be lacking in clarification.

I am working on it in this case. One battle at a time.

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth