Author Topic: Clean Fuel Turbines to Omega Class APS  (Read 6155 times)

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
Clean Fuel Turbines to Omega Class APS
« on: July 17, 2010, 01:17:41 AM »
Working on a '93 Yamaha YZF600R that will be re-equiped with 2 home made bio-diesel turbine engines working together to drive a PTO and probably Harley 4 speed. Currently building the first of 2 engines from a Holset HT3B turbocharger that i pulled of a Volvo 18 wheeler with a 14 liter Cummins. Haven't done much with the bike yet as i'm waiting for my SCTA rule book to arrive before i do too much on that aspect, but should have the first engine running soon.
Wierd is good

• Constant Kinetics
Re: Clean Fuel Turbines to Omega Class APS
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 02:03:05 AM »
Well, i decided that a snowmobile clutch would work better than a Harley 4 speed. Turbine engines have a lag that would make throttle modulation impracticle. The CVT acting nature of a snowmobile clutch will help in making the drivetrain more reactive to the salt... i hope, and the small footprint will really help with the limited space on a bike frame. More to come.
                                                                              -Chad-
Wierd is good

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 10:57:29 AM »
Building your own turbine engine from turbos is great! I hope you can get it all to work. What do you think the HP (and thusly speed) would be? Please keep us updated through a builder's diary here.
Good luck.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

• Constant Kinetics
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 01:47:07 PM »
According to computer models (JetSpec 2.0) The engines alone should make roughly 133lbs. of thrust. Water injection does wonders on these engines too, keeping operating temperatures low and offering a significant increase in output power. No one has logged how much more power is made by water injection, but military experience shows that it could be over 50% increase.
       Power delivery will be done similarly to turbo compounding, the thrust of both engines will be collected and used to spool up a turbine hooked to a gear reduction to amplify torque and bring RPMs into working limits of the drivetrain while final drive is delivered through a snowmobile clutch to the front sprocket. I will gear it as high as i can for Bonneville without running EGTs too high, as that is the leading cause of homemade turbine failure.
       As far as horsepower, I'm not sure how to convert to it from thrust, but there should be roughly 200lbs of thrust when everything is running right on a motor significantly lighter than the stock R6 powere plant. As far as goal for top speed goes, the Omega/APS record as of 2009 is 176.3mph. My current goal is 180, but we'll see what happens this year. Of course, i wouldn't be opposed to going 200! :wink:
                                                                                         -Chad-
Wierd is good

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Like I said, good luck. I love inventive minds (who actually make something). To go 180, you will need about 180-200hp with normal bodywork. Jay Leno's turboshaft R2K bike goes 250 on about 330 SHP.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

• Constant Kinetics
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 12:08:36 AM »
Thanks for those figures, i'll bet that's totally possible. Having 2 miles to accelerate with 2 motor capable of reaching 100,000+RPMs will probably play to my benifit too. :)

Wierd is good

Offline maj

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 01:00:41 AM »
Just don't get caught out filling the turbine with salt like the Y2K did a couple of years ago
std intake placement was not at all suitable 

• Constant Kinetics
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 01:18:52 AM »
When testing, i'll see if a cotton gauze filter chokes performance. If there's not much change, i'll run it with a filter at least on the first pass. If i don't hit the speeds i want, i may take it off but that will probably depend on salt conditions. As well as the newer filters flow, i can probably make some good runs with a filter.
                                                                                  -Chad-
Wierd is good

• Constant Kinetics
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 10:19:51 PM »
Got a question for the British steel riders. I found out my YZF600R is actually a FZR600 with an 18 inch rear wheel. I'm wondering what my tire options are for the stock wheel, or would it better to just find a 17 incher for the back as there are plenty of tire options for that size?
                                                                                 -Chad-
Wierd is good

• Constant Kinetics
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 02:09:30 PM »
Got some parts and picked up a sponsor today! :) Should have most of engine #1 finished in the next couple of weeks. Any turbo guys out there have a Holset HT3B they are no longer using PM me as i'd like to keep the 2 engines as close to eachother as possible. They are an older model and less desirable for today's engines as newer models are now available, but they are perfect for this build.
Wierd is good

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 07:22:13 PM »
When testing, i'll see if a cotton gauze filter chokes performance. If there's not much change, i'll run it with a filter at least on the first pass. If i don't hit the speeds i want, i may take it off but that will probably depend on salt conditions. As well as the newer filters flow, i can probably make some good runs with a filter.
                                                                                  -Chad-

Chad -

Two thoughts on this.  Given the extreme amount of air the thing is likely to draw, I don't think cotton thin enough to not choke off the engine will hold up, especially if salt is getting kicked into it.  Additionally, it's not likely to really be of any significant help in restricting debris from getting in the engine.  IMHO, it's just too flimsy.

Perhaps a pair very large K&N filter, like for a big-turbo diesel truck might prove a better solution.  If you know the CFM it's likely to draw, you can determine which filters might be of value.

Very cool idea for a build.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

• Constant Kinetics
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 11:24:55 PM »
I finally finished engine #1 flame tube today. It took nearly a month to find a piece of 6" diameter stainless tubing from which to make it. I Have this engine's lung (turbocharger), body (combustion chamber), and brain (flame tube). In a couple of weekes i'll sort out it's heart (oil system) and muscle (fuel injection system) and start testing. It's very satisfying having most of a homemade turbine in the back of my SUV. And did i lear anything, sure did: stainless steel HATES drill bits and will not be kind to them :). Things are really coming along now and the neighbors are actually believing that what started out as a pile of scrap may actually breathe life as a turbine engine. More to come very soon!
                                                                   -Chad-
Wierd is good

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 01:58:00 AM »
boy i really hope ya get it done by speedweek!!!!!! i think that 176 record is gonna get bumped up pretty good at world of speed......
Scott, that 179 backup was with 65 rear wheel hp..... we had a critical software error that limited us to 34% power and 1700 rpm....
kent

• Constant Kinetics
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 09:36:58 AM »
I fully expect the record to increase this year. It wouldn't be fun if it was easy  ;)   But if i have to start aiming for 200, that's what i'll do. Good luck, Kent, keep the Omega class full of suprises
Wierd is good