Author Topic: LSR history  (Read 6746 times)

Offline Commuta_Busa

LSR history
« on: July 15, 2010, 09:50:37 AM »
I had noticed on a different board that I frequent that someone is a LSR motorcycle racer. When I looked at their home page/profile is says, "To date he has built the fastest MPH recorded by a ZX-14 (232 mph) and continues to try to move that bar higher each year. Greg was also the first afro-american in the history of land speed racing to surpass the infamous 200 MPH."

I'm not into the whole segregation thing but it did make me curious. I can't image this is the first time an "afro-american" topped 200mph. I don't think any records or attempts at over 200mph have ever been noted to include ethnicity but I'm curious to know if there are any other African-american's to top 200 or in the racing community.

Offline dw230

Re: LSR history
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 01:08:12 PM »
I, for one, do not care what a person's ethnic background or gender is. I have respect for anyone who will put wheels on the track and test themselves against the clocks.

That being said, Daniel Butler, 2009, drove a Hondata entry into the club at 213MPH. To date Daniel is our only black member.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 01:20:38 PM »
Wow Daniels Black  :-o  He looked American to me.

Go Go Go Team Hondata.. :cheers:

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 02:00:18 PM »
I agree John. I only mentioned that as it pertains to the thread. Daniel appears to be a racer to me.

DW
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:42:49 PM by dw230 »
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 02:40:50 PM »
Dan gets it... :cheers: :cheers:

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 03:58:37 PM »
racist play, mention and talk the race card.... i think Jesse Jackson is the biggest racist out there, he makes a living out of it.... I'll tell ya one thing I don't care who it is that lines up next to me in a drag race or who goes deep with me in a road race corner..... white, black, brown, male, female.... only racers know this!
kent

Offline Commuta_Busa

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 09:16:16 AM »
I agree 100%. That's the way I view things as well. When someone pulls the race card out I always tend to roll my eyes. It bothered me to see someone make such a claim. I'm sure I'm the first German/Irish/Italian-American wearing a size 48 technic on-piece suite from NJ to go over 200mph. Claims like this just drive me nuts. :roll: I guess some people just need to find unique ways to boost their own ego.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 09:06:59 PM »
Ethnicity seems to be a touchy, volatile subject.... the fact is that, for some reason, there are not a lot of African Americans (or African origin people of any other nationality for that matter) that are involved in Land Speed racing... NASCAR seems also to be bereft of other than white competitiors... I can't speak for NASCAR (although I did read the story of Wendell Scott.... fictionalized into a movie called Greased Lightning- with Richard Pryor playing Wendell Scott).... but, I do know that Bonneville is NOT ethnically exclusive....

I have been asking why to this for a long time.... I do know that, in the area of Canada in which I live, there just aren't very many people of African origin but that isn't the case in a lot of the USA. So, where then are they?.....

I do know that my youngest daughter was with an Afro guy for a number of years and I have a grandson of African ethnicity.... when he is old enough and, if he wants to, I will be giving him a fair shake at driving the car....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 02:05:47 PM »
  I know that one morning at the last Speedweek, I was a little green................ I gotta not order those doubles.........................  :-D   
Bob Drury

Offline fastman614

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 03:19:42 PM »
WOW Bob!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 06:59:10 PM »
  I know that one morning at the last Speedweek, I was a little green................ I gotta not order those doubles.........................  :-D   

Bob, the doubles are not the problem.... In my experience it seems to be the number of doubles that creates the issue.... 
I only drink them till I'm green on black Fridays once in a blue moon....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 10:22:47 AM »
So what is the fastest that a lesbian-nazi-pro wrestler has gone?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 10:41:30 AM »
 :-DFast as they can go, in my neighborhood!   lolololol    Crow.  LFFL
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline DallasV

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
So what is the fastest that a lesbian-nazi-pro wrestler has gone?

The only 200 club member that fits this catagory gained membership in 2004 @ 230.851 MPH :evil:
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 12:50:21 PM »
Dallas, just this morning I was reading through the 2 Club listings and that 230.851 number sure rings a bell.  But if it's the feller I think it was -- gee, I didn't know that he got into the club that year - thought it more recent.  I guess I'll be nice and look it up when I get home -- not here on the Forum.  I don't want to be any more scandalous than necessary.  Dan, I bet you'd agree with me.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com