Author Topic: Amo-Steele Liner  (Read 59115 times)

Offline Black Rose Racing

Re: Amo-Steele Liner
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2010, 11:13:58 AM »
Jon, Thanks for posting pics of the front steering setup. Stainless, I see now what you were talking about.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2011, 08:55:09 AM »
SS---Jon---what goes with you two??
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2011, 11:49:53 AM »
OK, here is a little run down, we shucked #2 rod, killed he crank at WoS, been working the parts collection and repairs.  The sleeves for 1 and 2 in the block were damaged, the block is at Jerry Wilson's shop here in Wichita, http://www.chet-wilson.com/ .  So far I have a new crank, the rods were 7 inch and possibly way to rare to find more, Carrillo will make more for huge $$$, however, that length rod is not really necessary and may actually be costing a little torque.  Amazing what a lot of internet research and talking to a couple of professional racing engine builders can discover.  The guy that had the crank also had some more common 6.65 inch rods.  I'll get a few pictures up

BTW thanks to Tony and Tom for parts leads, we are still collecting.   There may be a few more direction changes in store but that info will be available later if it happens.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:51:29 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2011, 01:04:14 PM »
From looking at those photos, all I can say is "OUCH!"
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2011, 02:01:09 PM »
From looking at those photos, all I can say is "OUCH!"

I think its more suck squeeze BANG BLOW

Neil
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2011, 02:23:35 PM »
Stainless,
From the looks of the rod where the big end used to be, it looks like it welded itself to the crank and then broke off. Do you see the problem as an oil/lub system problem or an assembly problem??

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Tman

« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »
Stainless,
From the looks of the rod where the big end used to be, it looks like it welded itself to the crank and then broke off. Do you see the problem as an oil/lub system problem or an assembly problem??

Rex

Definately looks like it got hot down there by the discoloration.

Offline Kool Performance

« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »
who did you have make the 2.00 gears

Thanks
Steve

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »
I'd been wondering too, I heard some rumours from someone who was there and posted on another build diary we have asking if I knew of you guys :roll:...by the brevity of the reply, I get the sense it wasn't a planned budget item.

Keep us up to date when the weather improves. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2011, 09:32:04 PM »
Stainless,

Rex

Yes, we were able to throw the car on the dyno the day before we left for WoS, had a minor problem with the Cam drive gear bolt, caused the engine to ingest a little water, took it back and cleaned out the oil system got it all back together and left.  My guess is that we probably started something in the bottom end.  Oil pressure was always 60+.
Our pistons all clayed well, but something is a little different at 8000 RPM, our shake down pass at half throttle for 3 gears seemed to go well.  The next pass was to see if we could qualify the car.  Just after the shift to 3rd at 8500 I heard a noise and shut it off.  Now we all know what that was.  Looking at the pistons they all were a little close to the side of the chamber. 

who did you have make the 2.00 gears

Thanks
Steve

Our rear end is a Hub City 1050 gear box, it had a 1.5 set in it and that was geared a little high for NA 3 liter.  We ordered the 2.0 from them, the gears were Aero.  They make 1:1 if you need to go 500.

I'd been wondering too, I heard some rumours from someone who was there and posted on another build diary we have asking if I knew of you guys :roll:...by the brevity of the reply, I get the sense it wasn't a planned budget item.

Keep us up to date when the weather improves. :wink:

Yea Doc, I owed ya some pictures, these were definitely not a planned requirement.  I will post a few more carnage shots before we start to build.  There are a few other issues with the motor that we are working out.  You may have noticed the chamber was 4.01 wide, might be a little large for our bore.
It will take a little work, and a lot of reading about Buick 6's, but we will give it another shot. 
Sometimes you just get overcome by events, too bad you can't look back before  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2011, 12:00:31 AM »
"Sometimes you just get overcome by events, too bad you can't look back before "

Stainless, this statement of your reminds me of one of my more favorite sayings: "When you learn by experience the test comes first and the lesson comes afterwards!"

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2011, 11:30:52 AM »
LOL  :cheers:  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!