Author Topic: Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon  (Read 1971 times)

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon
« on: July 12, 2010, 05:27:50 PM »
My wife wants to go to the Albuquerque Balloon show in Oct. I will need to make plans and I don't what part of town to not stay in or anything about Albuquerque. Any help  or info will be greatly appreciated. Now she has retired I can't just say " We'll have to go there someday ".
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline geh458

Re: Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 06:02:03 PM »
Doug, I go to the Balloon Fiesta every year, even competed during the 90's in the flying competitions.  Unless you have friends in Albuquerque, this event is like events at the salt.  If you haven't got a reservation by now, you may be out of luck finding anything in the Albuquerque area.  The next closest place would be Santa Fe, 50 miles north.  An RV is also an option and you're within walking distance of the field.  If you're wanting to take a ride in a balloon you'll need to make a reservation with the official ride vendor.  Here's a link to the Fiesta website:  http://www.balloonfiesta.com/  (you should find everything you need here).  Also, most of the accommodations north of I-40 are ok, as are the hotel around the airport.  But be aware, even Motel6 rate jump to the $80 - $90 range during the event.

Enjoy it if you go, it's a blast.

Another thing, if you volunteer to crew for someone, it's not guaranteed, but there is a good chance that you might get a ride for free sometime during the week.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:05:14 PM by geh458 »
Gifford Hawn

Vintage Sports Car Racer looking to convert.......

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 07:52:23 PM »
I was at the balloon rally about ten years ago. It was the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. Words and pictures don't describe it.You have got to see it for your self.

Get there at 4 am before dawn . Then just sit back and let it unfold around you .
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:44:41 PM »
I've wanted to do that too. I love those things when they recreate the early Indy 500 races. Been locally a few times too.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 09:56:54 PM »
Thanks for the info geh. I made reservations for $55 a night north of I-40. I guess the mobsters in Wendover haven't showed them how to screw over the people yet.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.