Author Topic: Build mostly done...shes running! WOW!  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Vishnuatepork

Build mostly done...shes running! WOW!
« on: July 11, 2010, 02:16:31 AM »
I got a call from the shop today.

"....Alan, you better come on down, its about your bike.....click"

I was sh*tting bricks, after a miscalculation with my  transmission shafts, and having to split the cases a 2nd time, I was worried.   Last I had seen the build was Thursday, the heads were waiting to go on.  I was worried the custom pistons from CP were going to be an issue.  Maybe the cams...too much lift???? Dunno..shrug

I arrive, and my mechanic was all like...you tell him.  ...sheepishly walks away, gets the keys, and starts her up. Very easy very fast start...WOW.

It happened so much I wasnt even able to savor it.

I almost cried.

So heres the tech question.  While blipping the trottle we heard some pinging..slight but there at around 3k 4k rpm
 I know the tech specs of the manual state the advance is
"
5   degrees btdc <1650rpm
30 degrees btdc >3500rpm (USA)
5   degrees btdc <1625rpm
35 degrees btdc >3250rpm (swiss)
5   degrees btdc <1625rpm
32 degrees btdc > 3750rpm (all others)
"

I have new pistons, 12:1 up from 10:1.
Mega cycle cams (shouldnt affect timing, for the sake of this question).
Some transmission work and ported heads.

Its carburated. (before I forget its a 1990 Suzuki VX 800, same engine as the intruder)

My thinking is that the a) gas is old. Its the same gas in the bottom of the tank from when I dropped it off on March 23rd. Old 87 pump gas. b) Although I dont have the pod filters or the exhaust on I yet, I think it may be lean (or at least carbs may be a touch less than clean) ....or at least a lean condition would contribute to a pre ignition issue.

Thought comments???

I wanted to know if there is anywhere I would find an online primer for setting timing advances, as I have a programmable ignition module I am going to install.

Cheers!
Alan

suzuki vx800, 41mm FCR, shrink ported head, mega cycle cam, singh grooved head, custom headers, Supertapp exhaust, Ignitech ignition module, vs1400 drive hub, nology coils, magnecor wires, 12:1 cp pistons, carillo rods

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: Build mostly done...shes running! WOW!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 10:35:17 AM »
First off,,, I would drain that old pump gas,,, and at 12 to 1 I would never use 87 octane,,,  92 or 93 premium pump gas is barely enough.. I would use some 100 race gas or at least fresh premium pump gas and some octane booster.

Good luck.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline 57 ranchwagon

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 10:42:46 AM »
I'm not much of a motorcycle mechanic but a car engine will knock and ping like crazy on 87 octane with 12:1 if it has any timing in it at all defiantly time for some 100+ octane gas.

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 06:32:13 PM »
Timing won't fix all of it, though it will help. Get the octane up and use leaded fuel if you can find it.
Wierd is good