Author Topic: I need some tach help  (Read 3475 times)

Offline MC 1314

I need some tach help
« on: July 08, 2010, 09:53:28 PM »
Hi all.. I have an old Honda single cylinder whose manual says it redlines at over 11,000 rpm. I can't hear a thing with my helmet on and am not sure when to shift.. So, does anyone have an idea what tach might work? The bike has a 6 volt electical system so I think a self powered tach is in order. It will also have to take a fair amount of vibration. My budget is really tight (not a single big sponsor signed up, can you believe that?) so the high dollar stuff isn't in the picture.

Thanks
Bob
It's just a case of too soon old and too late smart. Will Penny

Offline 55chevr

Re: I need some tach help
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:56:16 PM »
what is a sponsor?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 10:06:15 PM »
Actually, if you can maintain traction, I'm thinking a speedometer, a slide rule, and a Sharpie might be all you really need.  Do the calculations, mark the speedometer, and you're done, or at least close.

Is it capable of busting the rear wheel loose at speed?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 04:33:54 AM »
But do you have the gearing and hp to pull redline? Lots of vehicles are incapable of pulling redline in top gear, as geared (final drive) from the factory.
I've got a 1965 Honda S65 Sport, 6.2hp @10,000rpm, its never going to pull that in 4th.
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 08:58:52 AM »
Tiny Tach  we just got one we splurged and got the 65.00 one with the tell-tell  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 09:48:52 PM »
Sponsor=Someone who is gullible with some cash

Speedometer hasn’t worked in years (never was accurate anyway)
Busting rear wheel loose? Not even in first with me on it.
Pulls 4th fine, in fifth it seems to bog a bit but with my tight helmet I can’t hear well enough to tell for sure. At Maxton I left it in 4th till about a hundred yards from timer and went to 5th.

I want to know if I should change the gearing and a tach would probably help since I can’t hear and the speedo is shot. The bike still has the sprockets that were on it when I bought it several years ago. I have no idea what ‘the stock sprokets’ should be.
Whatever it has it did 63+ in the 100pp-4 class.

Sparky, who makes the tiny tach? I did not see that, is it a brand name or a model name?  I found a couple of Shindy tachs that look like they might work but so far nobody is recommending them.

Thanks Much guys.

Offline SlyOneJr

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 07:28:38 PM »
The "Tiny Tach" is a digital tach that also can show the hours the engine has run, used to use one of them back when I was running a kart instead of a Digitron, think you can still get them through almost any lawn and garden shop or kart shop. Try this link:

www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php

Jeff
New Guy building a L/Gas Lakester
Ninja 250 powered Lakester for ECTA meets

Offline Chaulkdust

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 09:22:53 PM »
I've used a tiny tach on my CB160 for 2 years, but it's not reading very well now at high RPM. I just ordered a digital unit (like Tiny Tach) from Trailtech. Just look under digital gauges - you will see several the one you want is Tach-Hours. Thought I'd try something different this time.

www.trailtech.net

Ron Pavlak
Florida

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Thanks Jeff
Just ordered one, looks like it will do the job.

Ron, saw your post just after I ordered, if the tiny tach craps out the Trailtechlooks pretty good.

Thanks to all
Bob